Police Fired in DR. CNN story

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
What will change is that the new people brought in will be corrupted by the easy drug money. That is about it. Has anything like this every worked before?

It simply cannot work based upon current laws here and abroad.

The new cops get paid what? 3 to 10 000 pesos? How can you support a family here with that kind of money? It is way more expensive here nowadays.

The problem is the low salaries. They have to be corrupt to survive.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
working the streets

the police in santiago are writing tickets. mostly seat belt violations. but they have beefed up the operation. no more alone out there. like they do in the states. you get signalled to pull over and ahead of you is more police and cars and a chase motorcycle.
i guess they are tired of being run over and put in hospital...
they also are working the helmit rule. no helmit your bike goes to impound yard...

Reactions: FernieBee

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This government is corrupt just like all other past Dominican governments with the added problem of drug trafficking that we face now.

Let's face it drug trafficking is already entrenched in The DR and it touches all levels of the government from the lowly cop taking bribes to look the other way to the big pejes gordos who know about the flights from Colombia or Venezuela dropping literally tons of drugs into Dominican territory.

Example: The town where I'm from has a drug problem like pretty much every town in The DR nowadays. It is a small town. Everyone knows who's doing what, yet nobody is ever arrested...you tell me why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You may have noticed I've cleaned up the thread - let's keep to the topic or it gets locked.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Mujer: In respect to other topics I may agree with you, but regarding this one Bushbaby and others are dead on. If you are Dominican then you know they are correct. This government is corrupt just like all other past Dominican governments with the added problem of drug trafficking that we face now.

Let's face it drug trafficking is already entrenched in The DR and it touches all levels of the government from the lowly cop taking bribes to look the other way to the big pejes gordos who know about the flights from Colombia or Venezuela dropping literally tons of drugs into Dominican territory.

Example: The town where I'm from has a drug problem like pretty much every town in The DR nowadays. It is a small town. Everyone knows who's doing what, yet nobody is ever arrested...you tell me why?

I understand. I know there is a problem and that government is corrupt and all the rest. BUT does that mean that we can't even try to do something about it? We can't be optimistic about maybe working out the problem? Drugs are not a one way street. look at NYC it was able to turn itself around.

As a Dominican I am all for trying to solve problems. We shouldn't try at all? As Dominican we are vested in the success of the country. other people may feel that DR can go to hell in a hand basket without even trying to save it.

I remember when people used to complain about traffic in SD, then they built the tunnels and the elevados. There was SO much criticism. Oh, they are going to all apart, oh they don't solve anything. Hipolito even won on the promise that he was going to destroy them and plant yuca instead. can anybody even imagine SD without them now? how about the metro? they said it couldn't be done, it was going to cave in fall apart. We have a metro today. What about the curfew? oh nothing is going to happen it's going to be the same. crime is down.

Any time there is a new initiative people put it down. they say it's not going to work. then it does. I believe not in the Dominican government but in the Dominican people. Call me corny, optimistic, or whatever else.
I know that our country can do anything it is sets out to do.

Reactions: Berzin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I believe not in the Dominican government but in the Dominican people. Call me corny, optimistic, or whatever else.

I believe in the Dominican people too, and I believe that the vast majority are smart enough not to stick their necks out to protest against an evil (narcotrafficking) which there is no political will to stop. Do you really believe that members of the current Government (and the previous one & the one before that) didn't and aren't benefitting from this industry? Of course the President will make a speech which CNN finds convincing but for those of us who live here, as suarezn says, the reality is different. CNN probably don't know how high up the industry goes nor how good at spin the President is. There are brave politicians speaking out, like Senator Wilton Guerrero
http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/78530-senator-wrong-22.html#post731376
Don't you think that his evidence might have been taken somewhat more seriously if there was a real intent to combat the narcoindustry? Don't you think that by now we might have seen some high ranking politicians being dismissed? And where is all the liquidity in Dominican banks coming from? Firing corrupt police & military is all well & good, but it doesn't actually deal with the problem. And until Senator Guerrero has support from the majority of people with power and influence, I fear not a lot will change.

And it most certainly isn't an aspect of current life in the DR where sensible expats would stick their necks out either.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'm affraid the corruption goes so much deeper into the street. I myself have had money taken from me while walking home, I wasthreatened to pay up or they would plant drugs on me and arrest me. I was then walked to the cashpoint and forced to withdraw my limit on 3 cards, 45,000 pesos. This happened another 3 times after that, albeit givng me a couple of weeks inbetween each hit. I called the British consulate for help and what to do, their advice was to keep my head down and stay out of the way. I have now left the country for the meantime until I can feel safe in my own home. I had heard about this sort of thing, but to be directly affected by it does drown the heart when I think of the money and love I have put into the country.
SHAME.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I understand. I know there is a problem and that government is corrupt and all the rest. BUT does that mean that we can't even try to do something about it? We can't be optimistic about maybe working out the problem? Drugs are not a one way street. look at NYC it was able to turn itself around.

As a Dominican I am all for trying to solve problems. We shouldn't try at all? As Dominican we are vested in the success of the country. other people may feel that DR can go to hell in a hand basket without even trying to save it.

I remember when people used to complain about traffic in SD, then they built the tunnels and the elevados. There was SO much criticism. Oh, they are going to all apart, oh they don't solve anything. Hipolito even won on the promise that he was going to destroy them and plant yuca instead. can anybody even imagine SD without them now? how about the metro? they said it couldn't be done, it was going to cave in fall apart. We have a metro today. What about the curfew? oh nothing is going to happen it's going to be the same. crime is down.

Any time there is a new initiative people put it down. they say it's not going to work. then it does. I believe not in the Dominican government but in the Dominican people. Call me corny, optimistic, or whatever else.
Its interesting that you "don't believe in the government", and yet every example you used were government initiatives. :cheeky:

As a general rule of thumb, most of the stuff most people believe is incorrect due to a lack of access to accurate information. There is more fluff than content to much of what is believed.

Now, what you are asking is impossible to do in this website. Been there, done that, and we're still in the same spot. If there is one thing I'm pessimistic about is the idea of making pessimists see everything through a more positive perspective. For all I know, they much just have brains wired differently. Who knows!

Regarding the topic, the government is much more committed to fighting this problem (and most other problems), it is not as corrupted as many think it is, and signs of this are pretty abundant.

The "problem" is that once people have a preconceived notion of something (or some place), they will be much more attuned towards the evidence that supports their already established opinion.

There are more good people in government than bad one's. Start searching for proof of this and soon enough, you'll see it.

-NALs ;)

Reactions: MikeFisher

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm affraid the corruption goes so much deeper into the street. I myself have had money taken from me while walking home, I wasthreatened to pay up or they would plant drugs on me and arrest me. I was then walked to the cashpoint and forced to withdraw my limit on 3 cards, 45,000 pesos. This happened another 3 times after that, albeit givng me a couple of weeks inbetween each hit. I called the British consulate for help and what to do, their advice was to keep my head down and stay out of the way. I have now left the country for the meantime until I can feel safe in my own home. I had heard about this sort of thing, but to be directly affected by it does drown the heart when I think of the money and love I have put into the country.
SHAME.

Was this in Puerto Plata? (I recall you asking for advice about accommodation in PP in previous posts). Were they Policia Nacional or DNCD? If this happened 4 times then you did the right thing in getting out of the area because this sounds like definite targetting. I don't disbelieve you for a moment, but I've lived in Puerto Plata more than 16 years and it has never happened to me once. So I have to ask - were there any previous incidents which might have led them to believe you were an easy target? Did this happen at night in a downtown barrio? How did they know you had 3 cards? And do you have any friends who could have fed police info about the state of your bank balance which would make such activity profitable for police on the understanding that they (the 'friend') shared the proceeds afterwards?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Leonel's "fight against corruption and drug trafficking" lost all credibility in my book when he named Guillermo Moreno (during his first term) as District Attorney and then removed him when he started making waves and going after the big fish. At that point I realized that this was going to be just another corrupt government like any other.

Lately he has done things (such as the pardon of Vivian Lubrano, a convicted thief who helped swindled millions from investors) that even I thought I would never see. No explanation to the public as to the reason for this. He's continuing to become more and more like Balaguer (The father of corruption in The DR) who once basically said that the only place not corrupt in the whole country was his own office (meaning himself) and he was OK with that.

So Mujer I'm all for trying attempting to do something, but I don't really see that he's attempting to do anything other than move these people around to deflect criticism for a while.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Leonel's "fight against corruption and drug trafficking" lost all credibility in my book when he named Guillermo Moreno (during his first term) as District Attorney and then removed him when he started making waves and going after the big fish. At that point I realized that this was going to be just another corrupt government like any other.

Lately he has done things (such as the pardon of Vivian Lubrano, a convicted thief who helped swindled millions from investors) that even I thought I would never see. No explanation to the public as to the reason for this. He's continuing to become more and more like Balaguer (The father of corruption in The DR) who once basically said that the only place not corrupt in the whole country was his own office (meaning himself) and he was OK with that.

So Mujer I'm all for trying attempting to do something, but I don't really see that he's attempting to do anything other than move these people around to deflect criticism for a while.

I dont think that any Dominicans are fooled. Basically he is doing the bare minimum to maintain appearances to the outside world.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lately he has done things (such as the pardon of Vivian Lubrano, a convicted thief who helped swindled millions from investors) that even I thought I would never see. No explanation to the public as to the reason for this.

So, what was this? :ermm:

BTW, she's still in the clinic. I never knew being confined to a hospital bed for well over half a year was so much fun!

Like I said before, people see what they want to see.

-NALs

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So, what was this? :ermm:

BTW, she's still in the clinic. I never knew being confined to a hospital bed for well over half a year was so much fun!

Like I said before, people see what they want to see.

-NALs

Are you for real? OK maybe I should have said NO REASONABLE EXPLANATION. Isn't that the same trick every white collar criminal uses in The DR? They immediately get very sick once they are going to jail. Why couldn't she be sick in jail? There are thousands of poor Dominicans who ARE sick for real and are doing their time just fine in jail. Did you see him pardon any of these people? Did you see him pardon any of the many people who are in jail for petty stuff (like stealing a Salami or a chicken) and have spent months or even years waiting to be sentenced? Is that reasonable to you?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I believe in the Dominican people too, and I believe that the vast majority are smart enough not to stick their necks out to protest against an evil (narcotrafficking) which there is no political will to stop. Do you really believe that members of the current Government (and the previous one & the one before that) didn't and aren't benefitting from this industry? Of course the President will make a speech which CNN finds convincing but for those of us who live here, as suarezn says, the reality is different. CNN probably don't know how high up the industry goes nor how good at spin the President is. There are brave politicians speaking out, like Senator Wilton Guerrero
http://www.dr1.com/forums/government/78530-senator-wrong-22.html#post731376
Don't you think that his evidence might have been taken somewhat more seriously if there was a real intent to combat the narcoindustry? Don't you think that by now we might have seen some high ranking politicians being dismissed? And where is all the liquidity in Dominican banks coming from? Firing corrupt police & military is all well & good, but it doesn't actually deal with the problem. And until Senator Guerrero has support from the majority of people with power and influence, I fear not a lot will change.

And it most certainly isn't an aspect of current life in the DR where sensible expats would stick their necks out either.

right.
and if any official, gubmin or police or military or what so ever get's caught as beeing involved/corrupt/took money to let those drugs go throu he should sure not get just 'fired', "retired", heck, they get pensions til the end of their days those "Generals who got forced to retirement", they go the fu.. on to get every month money from the 'people'.
to really go against corruption/drugs aso means to sentence the ones you caught, get 'em and shoot 'em, or at least lock them away in jail for long times, forcing high ranked/gerneral ranked corrupt millionaires to retirement is a joke. and it does not kick them completely out of business neither.
Mike

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Leonel is not going to seriosuly clena up the drug problem. His attitude is "we are all making money off this, so why stop it?" You don't see any efforts to stop the flights from Venezuela which come in on a nightly basis. The President himself is indirectly benefiting from the drug trafficking, so you will never see a solvent fight against the trafficantes. At least there isn't widespread murder like there is in Mexico right now.