Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Police Fired in DR. CNN story

700 police fired in Dominican president's war against corruption - CNN.com

Nice to see that someone is finally trying to control the problem.

Enjoy the read.

Rick

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

makes for a nice story, but as always the big fish head for "deep waters"

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! Now lets see if anything changes as a result of this move??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    What will change is that the new people brought in will be corrupted by the easy drug money. That is about it. Has anything like this every worked before?

It simply cannot work based upon current laws here and abroad.

The new cops get paid what? 3 to 10 000 pesos? How can you support a family here with that kind of money? It is way more expensive here nowadays.

The problem is the low salaries. They have to be corrupt to survive.

Say what ! ???
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool working the streets

the police in santiago are writing tickets. mostly seat belt violations. but they have beefed up the operation. no more alone out there. like they do in the states. you get signalled to pull over and ahead of you is more police and cars and a chase motorcycle.
    i guess they are tired of being run over and put in hospital...
    they also are working the helmit rule. no helmit your bike goes to impound yard...

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a P.R. stunt.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Now the drugs lords can pay a bit less to the new guys in the block!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This government is corrupt just like all other past Dominican governments with the added problem of drug trafficking that we face now.

Let's face it drug trafficking is already entrenched in The DR and it touches all levels of the government from the lowly cop taking bribes to look the other way to the big pejes gordos who know about the flights from Colombia or Venezuela dropping literally tons of drugs into Dominican territory.

Example: The town where I'm from has a drug problem like pretty much every town in The DR nowadays. It is a small town. Everyone knows who's doing what, yet nobody is ever arrested...you tell me why?
    Last edited by Chirimoya; 03-03-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: removed quote from deleted post

Post Thanks / Like

You may have noticed I've cleaned up the thread - let's keep to the topic or it gets locked.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    Mujer: In respect to other topics I may agree with you, but regarding this one Bushbaby and others are dead on. If you are Dominican then you know they are correct. This government is corrupt just like all other past Dominican governments with the added problem of drug trafficking that we face now.

Let's face it drug trafficking is already entrenched in The DR and it touches all levels of the government from the lowly cop taking bribes to look the other way to the big pejes gordos who know about the flights from Colombia or Venezuela dropping literally tons of drugs into Dominican territory.

Example: The town where I'm from has a drug problem like pretty much every town in The DR nowadays. It is a small town. Everyone knows who's doing what, yet nobody is ever arrested...you tell me why?
    I understand. I know there is a problem and that government is corrupt and all the rest. BUT does that mean that we can't even try to do something about it? We can't be optimistic about maybe working out the problem? Drugs are not a one way street. look at NYC it was able to turn itself around.

As a Dominican I am all for trying to solve problems. We shouldn't try at all? As Dominican we are vested in the success of the country. other people may feel that DR can go to hell in a hand basket without even trying to save it.

I remember when people used to complain about traffic in SD, then they built the tunnels and the elevados. There was SO much criticism. Oh, they are going to all apart, oh they don't solve anything. Hipolito even won on the promise that he was going to destroy them and plant yuca instead. can anybody even imagine SD without them now? how about the metro? they said it couldn't be done, it was going to cave in fall apart. We have a metro today. What about the curfew? oh nothing is going to happen it's going to be the same. crime is down.

Any time there is a new initiative people put it down. they say it's not going to work. then it does. I believe not in the Dominican government but in the Dominican people. Call me corny, optimistic, or whatever else.
    I know that our country can do anything it is sets out to do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast