Dr1 pond club

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
First let see if its oke y with Robert If we cna do a DR! Pond club for those of us the have ponds, fresh water tanks or Marine tanks that would like to share info, plants, fish and any other source of stuff.
I notce here in Santiaog that this culture is growing Robert Acuario moved to a bigger place nad now in Carretea Don Pedro thier a new little guy tring to make aliving..

If its okey by Moderator I would like to see if we can
get a club going....
we can write some DIY for constructions, places to get stuff trade etc.... Bet it would bne rela cool plus we will contribute to create some eco awareness in our areas.
best
Albin

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
count me in, have a 500 gl. tank with KOI's, have about 8 koi's, between 4" to 13"

had my pic in Koi Mag, a Brit mag

Where are you and would you care to share your info here...

I am setting up my pond about 1800 gallons and will be posting some pictures..
I have it with some water circulating till i get some of my white pelble rocks i ask for m a local nursery..
Any ideas on how to structure the club.. we got to whillign members..

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the pool needs to be quite deep so the fish can go to the bottom when the water freezes

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
DR1 Pond Club

We have a fairly fast running stream through our garden , happily recorded as a Zanja by El Medio Ambiente and Officina Turistica. We tried putting in a cage (howler) to keep a couple of tortoises but the first very heavy rain turned it over and they escaped. Is it feasible to have something similar for Koy and the like or would we get too much of the same problem?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
the pool needs to be quite deep so the fish can go to the bottom when the water freezes

the pool needs to be quite deep here (between 2-3 feet or even deeper), but for other reasons. water never freezes in dominican rep.
some fish as Goldfish and Japanese Koi likes some shade, they cant be exposure to a full sun or extremely heat temp. they works better in a temp ranging from 10 to 28C
other reason is to protect your expensive fish to be eaten by cats, racoon or any other animal in your property

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
a bad idea to put them in a stream if there is a chance they could escape

Koi have been accidentally or deliberately released into the wild in every continent except Antarctica. They greatly increase the turbidity of the water because they are constantly stirring up the substrate. This makes waterways unattractive, reduces the abundance of aquatic plants, and can render the water unsuitable for swimming or drinking even by livestock. In some countries, koi have caused so much damage to waterways that vast amounts of money and effort have been spent trying to eradicate them, largely unsuccessfully.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks jr for the advice and the information which was all news to me. Another of my "good ideas" falls flat!

Mar 2, 2008
..eaten by cats, racoon or any other animal in your property

I haven't seen any raccoons in the DR, aside from Rocky. Are there any?

Mar 2, 2008
That is interesting.

Are they indigenous? Do they resemble NA raccoons? I'd love to see a picture, if anyone has one.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they would be better in an enclosed courtyard type area I think - ive always wanted one of those ....errrrr koi not raccoons