Meat with no skin

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Maybe this is a silly post with me showing my ignorance but why is so much meat offered for sale here, skinned? Yesterday I was offered a skinned lambs leg and a skinned goats leg, why for goodness sake , like pork it cooks and tastes better when roasted with its skin on. So does beef for that matter., Or do you think it is the French domination of Las Terrenas that has imposed this habit? ( this last statement is not intended to be rude to anyone.) I could not think of any other way to title this but it kept on making me think of the pub with no beer !

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Could it be in order to trim the fat off - lamb being a fairly 'fatty' meat? Or maybe someone has discovered that you don't get crackling from lamb skin? Or maybe it's because they use the skin in sausages?

M

MirianAmor

Could it be in order to trim the fat off - lamb being a fairly 'fatty' meat? Or maybe someone has discovered that you don't get crackling from lamb skin? Or maybe it's because they use the skin in sausages?

I beg to differ. Lamb is really quite lean and if cooked properly the skin does go crisp (not like Crackling) but Crisp. They certainly do not use the skin for sausages, that comes from another part of the animal, the gut, usually from a pig. As far as fat is concerned, particularly steak, most of the real flavour comes from the fat.

May 5, 2007
Beef skin?

Maybe this is a silly post with me showing my ignorance but why is so much meat offered for sale here, skinned? Yesterday I was offered a skinned lambs leg and a skinned goats leg, why for goodness sake , like pork it cooks and tastes better when roasted with its skin on. So does beef for that matter., !

Excuse my ignorance, but when you say "Beef skin" are you expecting the hide of a cow to be on the meat you buy?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thank you Mirian Amor, spot on. And no Island Dreaming, I don;t want the hairy leather stuff but beef skin has an inner membrane, I don't know what it is called but it too goes nice and crisp when roasted.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The skin of these animals is not eaten but used to make leather stuff (i.e. goat skin is used to make tamboras, etc). Pork is different as it is used for Chicharrones. I've never heard of anyone eating cowhide...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The skin of these animals is not eaten but used to make leather stuff (i.e. goat skin is used to make tamboras, etc). Pork is different as it is used for Chicharrones. I've never heard of anyone eating cowhide...

The male chivo's hide is used for one drum head, while the other head utilizes a female's hide having given birth at least once.

The female's hide stretches after birth and produces a smoky resonant sound.

Typically the male's skin is played with a single stick alternatively with the rim, while the female's skin is played in four with the bare hand.

tambo'

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The male chivo's hide is used for one drum head, while the other head utilizes a female's hide having given birth at least once.

The female's hide stretches after birth and produces a smoky resonant sound.

Typically the male's skin is played with a single stick alternatively with the rim, while the female's skin is played in four with the bare hand.

tambo'

Who'd have thunk it...Next time on 'How it's made" Tamborista explains the many different uses of goat hide...jk

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
getting back to sausage skin - most are not made from pig intestines its usually artificial

Artificial casings are made of collagen, cellulose or even plastic and may or may not be edible.

actually most of the meat in sausages is artificial as well lol

dont think Ive ever had lamb or cow with the skin still on