Vegetable Growing in the DR

jpoesq1

Feb 18, 2009
I am working on a project to create subsistence gardens for poor families outside of Santo Domingo. I am trying to find out if anyone has any experience, particularly where I might be able to buy vegetable seedlings and/or seeds.

Do you have a garden?
What do you grow?
Where do you buy your supplies?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

John

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Do a search on square foot garden is a nice idea with experience in haiti
(gardens are made on the roofs in order to prevent thieves from stealing the fruits of your labour)

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
You may find some seeds like onions, carrots, coliflowers, tomatoes and some type of salads from ferreterias and some wets if they have their own shops might also have some. Papaya (lechosa), squashes (ayuama), pineapple and all kind of roots used to eat you can multiply them, for example batata, cassava , jautia.
All kinds of peas are easy to dry and seed them again. Those men farming their small conucos do not buy any seeds and they have succeeded to grow everything

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
or buy fruit and veg and take the seeds out- here in Sosua the vets sell the best seeds I hear

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I am working on a project to create subsistence gardens for poor families outside of Santo Domingo. I am trying to find out if anyone has any experience, particularly where I might be able to buy vegetable seedlings and/or seeds.

Do you have a garden?
What do you grow?
Where do you buy your supplies?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

John

Go to the Department of Agriculture. It does provide free seeds and seedlings sometimes and to certain families.