Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vegetable Gardening

I am working on a project to create subsistence gardens for poor families outside of Santo Domingo. I am trying to find out if anyone has any experience, particularly where I might be able to buy vegetable seedlings and/or seeds.

Do you have a garden?
    What do you grow?
    Where do you buy your supplies?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

John

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vegetable Gardening con.

I started a vegetable garden last year here in the Las Terrenas area. My perpetual spinach grew magnificently and we were able to crop leaves a couple of times a week for about two months, parsley grew well and produced good size tasty leaves but it did not last long, it suddenly just died, mint grew well for several months but now is just withering away, shallots, excellent, seem to be slow growing but the one from the clump which I put back in the ground so far always takes. I don;t know where to buy seeds here but will ask the gardener on Sunday. This year I;ve planted perpetual spinach and broad beans and tomorrow kohlrabi. Not as active as I'd like to be because I dislocated a knee. I bring my seeds back from the UK once a year. We inherited a couple of platano trees and one guineo
    which crop a couple of times a year.
    I hope this helps, if you want updates just say so. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy seeds at many hardware stores.

Corn can be difficult due to the shorter hours of sunlight in the tropics but you will get a crop. Cabbage, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, many herbs, thyme, parsley, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, squash will grow well at near sea level. Rather than plantains, I'd plant "rulos" which are good eating and produce more than plantains. A lemon tree and an acerola (tropical cherries) tree if space allows...

HB (farmer at one time)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the best place to get seeds:

Importadora Agrícola Rinconada, CxA
    E Morillo 60, Santo Domingo
    (809) 565-5344

In small amount you can buy at Supermercado Nacional (tomatoes, peppers, herbs seeds).
    I have had success with cherry tomatoes, green peppers, lettuce, herbs (menthe, parsley, basil, coriander). Tomatoes gave me problems last year because of infestation of white flies; I am trying again this year. The herbs I have found in Supermercado Pola packaged with roots protected in some soil.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am near Sosua. There, I am successful with several kinds of lettuce, green peppers, hot peppers, lots of different herbs, and several varieties of fruit. Small, cherry tomatoes do well. Large ones don't for me. I have tried zucchini and yellow squash, cucumbers, and melon, but do not have much luck. They produce one or two small vegetables, then nothing.

I add new black soil (from Whirleybird's farm) about every 9 months and regularly spray with Miracle Grow. And I find that seeds which I buy here produce better than U.S. seeds from Burpee. I am told that is because seeds here are "tropicalized."

I am always trying to learn more and would welcome input from other vegetable gardeners who have found success.

Lindsey

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpoesq1 View Post
    I am working on a project to create subsistence gardens for poor families outside of Santo Domingo. I am trying to find out if anyone has any experience, particularly where I might be able to buy vegetable seedlings and/or seeds.

Do you have a garden?
    What do you grow?
    Where do you buy your supplies?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

John
    I am using earthbox for a few years now,and work great on my roof here in SD.I have grown corn,tomatos,peppers and this year I will try spinich as well.
    earthbox.com has all info you need.
    bob

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad to hear that green leafy veggies can be grown in the DR. My family and I are going to try living in the Baharona area full-time next fall. I have only visited the DR and Baharona once. I enjoyed the people and the natural beauty, but I was a little disappointed in the starchy, bland fare--yucca, yucca, platanos, platanos, rice, rice, peas. The fruit is wonderful, of course, but do they ever use it in their entrees?
    What other veggies can be grown? How hard is it to bring seeds to the DR? We are coming from the U.S.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with some good advice on how to germinate and grow Cacao?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nattalie View Post
    I'm so glad to hear that green leafy veggies can be grown in the DR. My family and I are going to try living in the Baharona area full-time next fall. I have only visited the DR and Baharona once. I enjoyed the people and the natural beauty, but I was a little disappointed in the starchy, bland fare--yucca, yucca, platanos, platanos, rice, rice, peas. The fruit is wonderful, of course, but do they ever use it in their entrees?
    What other veggies can be grown? How hard is it to bring seeds to the DR? We are coming from the U.S.
    My regular diet in the DR, at the mother in laws includes cucumber, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, tayota, eggplant, lettuce, beets, potatoes...all grown in the DR.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Tayota?

Que es Tayota? I've never heard of that. It sounds like your mother-in-law feeds you well. Do different regions of DR have less variety?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast