driving Barahona to Jarabacoa

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
I have looked everywhere and cant find a solid answer. Are the roads heading out of the Barahona area to Jarabacoa good?? Meaning safe, paved etc. and what is the best route and distance? Or do I have to head back to Santo Domingo On a few maps it looks like the #41 and the #12 head there?? Any thoughts

Also how many hours do you guess?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not aware of any direct roads from Barahona to Jarabacoa.

The only semi-direct road goes from San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza, then there is a road from El Rio to Jarabacoa. That's the good news. The bad news is both are barely muddy goat paths since over a year ago, barely even fit for the most rugged high-platform 4x4's.

The quickest route is Autopista Nov. 11 to the El Baden bypass before getting into San Cristobal (to La Toma and Medina), putting you onto the Autopista Duarte just south of Villa Altagracia. Prolly 5-6 hours to Jarabacoa from Barahona.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Robert: Ihave to go to San Juan de la Maguana next weekend...is the turnoff to El Baden sort of across the highway from a truck stop/eatery that is on the left side>?

That would cut off an hour of driving. I have not been that way in nearly fifty years!!

to the OP...

Easiest way is to suck it up and to Sto Dgo by the main roads, then up Duarte Hwy to La Vega and then left to Jarabacoa...

I've been here since Jesus was bar mitzvahed, and I am asking a friend who I know has been on that road to El Baden.

Now, if you'll wait until I try this (like I told him, I haven't been on this road since before 1965), I will report back here....

Cordially,

Hb

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
thanks

I appreciate the help, I did not think those roads looked like main ones, PLease let me know if you do take that route. I suppose I will just head back towards the main highways. Is there any stops alng the way that I should not miss? Also I might be in Pedernales and that sounds like a long drive to Jarabacoa? any decent towns or places to stay if the dry is a bit far?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Robert: Ihave to go to San Juan de la Maguana next weekend...is the turnoff to El Baden sort of across the highway from a truck stop/eatery that is on the left side>?

That would cut off an hour of driving. I have not been that way in nearly fifty years!!

to the OP...

Easiest way is to suck it up and to Sto Dgo by the main roads, then up Duarte Hwy to La Vega and then left to Jarabacoa...

I've been here since Jesus was bar mitzvahed, and I am asking a friend who I know has been on that road to El Baden.

Now, if you'll wait until I try this (like I told him, I haven't been on this road since before 1965), I will report back here....

Cordially,

Hb
The El Baden road that bypasses SDQ...and prolly saves 1.5 hours...is easy to spot.

It is (I recall) at km marker 35 on the split part of the autopista, just south of Villa Altagracia. There is nothing to the left, it's down the road from where I ~think~ you mean.

This is the intersection on the autopista going south:
IMG_1006.jpg

When you return, you have to turn right onto the autopista for a mile or so...maybe less...and do a u-turn when the road comes back together.

The road is surprisingly good. There is one small area of construction and a couple of weird (but definitely doable, even with a 15-passenger van pulling a 14' trailer) bridges, but you'll have no problem.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dang!!! You are a real mine of information... The spot I was thinking about is about for kliks north of this one. It borders the old orange groves that belong (ed) to Mora...I head that the bridges were washed out during one of the hurricanes in the late 60s or 70s...THAT is why I asked...

I know this place...That will certainly save a bunch of time---three hours both ways...

Thank you Robert!!!

HB most gratefully

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
Richard, thanks again for all you great info. My map does not have any detail when you get remotely close to santo Domingo> If Iam heading towards S.D from Barahona and then driving North to Jarabacoa I assume the road that I will be looking for will head towrads the town of Hato Damas and Medina?? and than hitting the main highway #1 @ Madrigal? does this sound correct? Also are there any nice towns or places to stay or see on the way in case I cant make the entire drive.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Richard, thanks again for all you great info. My map does not have any detail when you get remotely close to santo Domingo> If Iam heading towards S.D from Barahona and then driving North to Jarabacoa I assume the road that I will be looking for will head towrads the town of Hato Damas and Medina?? and than hitting the main highway #1 @ Madrigal? does this sound correct? Also are there any nice towns or places to stay or see on the way in case I cant make the entire drive.
That is the road. It's a nice drive, through nice towns and villages. A stop by La Toma is interesting. The caves at Pomier aren't open yet, but a guy there may let you peek in...