my pelo bueno needs help :)

Jun 15, 2008
hi everyone!

i've got two questions for you, been doing a lot of research and no results so far...

1) Is there a salon in Santiago where they actually know how to treat pelo bueno, meaning - nice haircut, dye it naturally looking blond (i tried a regular dominican salon for that - big mistake, they just take some blond hair color and expect it to make my brown hair blond... result - the only blond part of my hair were the roots, rest was kinda orange...)...
2) Where in Santiago or around it can I buy One n' Only Color Fix, L’Oreal’s Color Zap or similar products??? pls, pls, pls, I need it so bad....

thanx in advance for any info!

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
From one Blondie to another...Get your hair done in the states. I've tried at least 10 different ones (all recommended to me my someone) and I am batting a 1000. It really is worth a plane ticket to Miami. The color you got, my friends and I call it "Puerto Rican Orange" Its a very popular color there and well recieved. As for us...Not so much. I feel your pain.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
From one Blondie to another...Get your hair done in the states. I've tried at least 10 different ones (all recommended to me my someone) and I am batting a 1000. It really is worth a plane ticket to Miami. The color you got, my friends and I call it "Puerto Rican Orange" Its a very popular color there and well recieved. As for us...Not so much. I feel your pain.

Why is it called PR orange?

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
The color you got, my friends and I call it "Puerto Rican Orange" Its a very popular color there and well recieved. As for us...Not so much. I feel your pain.

Princessa:

Be careful with your racist comments, you never know who you might offend.

L V

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Princessa:

Be careful with your racist comments, you never know who you might offend.

L V

Puerto Rican Orange?
That is not racist - Puerto Rica is not a race - it is a state? protectorate? ex-country? Island.
Whatever it is, it is certainly not a race.

Or am I missing something here?

Good luck with your hair, by the way!

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
Puerto Rican Orange?
That is not racist - Puerto Rica is not a race - it is a state? protectorate? ex-country? Island.

Good luck with your hair, by the way!

It's offensive, label it however you want, it is certainly not meant as a compliment.

L V

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Puerto Rican Orange?

Yes, you are missing something here-any derogatory remark in reference to someone's culture, race and/or nationality is culturally insensitive and inappropriate.

Written communication on a public forum can be achieved with tact and grace.

It's not that difficult if you just think before you type. If you are unsure about Puerto Rico, its' people and it's culture feel free to send me a PM and I'll answer any of your questions. This way you won't have to wonder and assume incorrectly about who and what we are.

And it's Puerto Rico, not Puerto Rica.

As for the OP, you may need to get this type of hair color from the states if you cannot find it in the DR, so if you fly back and forth you'll need to stock up.

If not, you may need to communicate with someone who flies to the DR frequently to ask if they can do you the favor to bring you a few boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yes, you are missing something here-any derogatory remark in reference to someone's culture, race and/or nationality culturally insensitive and inappropriate.

It's not that difficult if you just think before you type. If you are unsure about the island, its' people and it's culture feel free to send me a PM and I'll answer any of your questions. This way you won't have to wonder and assume incorrectly about who and what we are.

Yep, yep and Hell yep!!!

Jun 15, 2008
lol wow, never intended to start a racial converstaion with my hair questions :D

IslandPrincess - thanx, but unfortunately if i'd follow your advice i'd need to get a visa every time i'd want to do my hair :)

so i'm still hoping someone, somewhere has a useful advice for me and my poor hair :)

and PLS don't forget the question #2!! very, very, EXTREMELY important for me!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i have pelo bueno too and i go to a girl (woman)who was my student and i must say she does a really good job, cutting and taking care of it. however, i can't help you with the color because i don't get mine dyed. finding someone who can cut it though is just a matter of finding someone who you trust.

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
Sorry

Not intended to be a racist comment. I Miami it's a common phase...even among Puerto Ricans (as my family is). SO Sorry. Moderator is welcome to delete it if needed.

The origin of the comment is to state that it is a color that is used commonly in puerto rico & the Dominican because the skin tones are different and looks beautiful on certain skin tones, but happens to look terrible on your average white girl. 90% of the time when I and my other blonde (not really) American girls get our hair done here (and in Puerto Rico, where I used to live as well) we end up with this color.

Again sorry if I offended someone...

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yes, you are missing something here-any derogatory remark in reference to someone's culture, race and/or nationality is culturally insensitive and inappropriate.

It's not that difficult if you just think before you type. If you are unsure about Puerto Rico, its' people and it's culture feel free to send me a PM and I'll answer any of your questions. This way you won't have to wonder and assume incorrectly about who and what we are.

As for the OP, you may need to get this type of hair color from the states if you cannot find it in the DR, so if you fly back and forth you'll need to stock up.

If not, you may need to communicate with someone who flies to the DR frequently to ask if they can do you the favor to bring you a few boxes.

A couple of things - sorry about the typo - as you will note, my English is pretty damned good most of the time I slipped up on that one.

What is offensive about Puerto Rican (sp?) orange?
If anyone finds what I have written offensive - be specific about what you found offensive so that I might give it some thought and maybe even change my views and behavior.

I stand by what I say - Puerto Rico is not a race.
I have been there many times so I am not totally without a clue as its nature.

Also, Berzin - what "incorrect assumptions" did I make?
Where was I tactless? Where was I without grace?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Not intended to be a racist comment. I Miami it's a common phase...even among Puerto Ricans (as my family is). SO Sorry. Moderator is welcome to delete it if needed.

The origin of the comment is to state that it is a color that is used commonly in puerto rico & the Dominican because the skin tones are different and looks beautiful on certain skin tones, but happens to look terrible on your average white girl. 90% of the time when I and my other blonde (not really) American girls get our hair done here (and in Puerto Rico, where I used to live as well) we end up with this color.

Again sorry if I offended someone...

10 lashes princess!!!! lol:cheeky:;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
do you happen to know someone who does?

Many DR1 members fly out of NYC on a regular or semi-regular basis and they land everywhere-Santiago, Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, etc.

It would all depend on where you are located.

If not, maybe you could get someone to mail it to you from the states. There are a few reputable companies that will ship to the DR, just make sure you ask the person sending it for the package to be left at the company office in Santo Domingo for pick-up if you live close to the capital.

There's more than one way to skin this particular cat, so let's see what we can come up with.

Just let us(or me) know. I'll be glad to do what I can.

Jun 15, 2008
If not, maybe you could get someone to mail it to you from the states. There are a few reputable companies that will ship to the DR, just make sure you ask the person sending it for the package to be left at the company office in Santo Domingo for pick-up if you live close to the capital.

There's more than one way to skin this particular cat, so let's see what we can come up with.

Just let us(or me) know. I'll be glad to do what I can.

My actual location is Mao, but since there aren't too many expats in Mao, I just say Santiago :)

and thanx for trying to help :)