Work in the DR

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
I often visit Santiago,DR to visit family and friends and have always wanted to move there after college. My dream is to become a nurse but I am not sure how much nurses make down there or if I can live off of the pay. I have heard that nurses don't really make a lot of money down there unless you work for a private clinic; but how would I go about getting a job at a private clinic? Honestly I am not looking for money I just enjoy the simplicity of the lifestyle and as long as I will not be poor and can have a decent house I will be happy. Also, I was wondering if english teachers make more than nurses in the DR. Does anyone know how much nurses or english teachers make? I am fluent in english and spanish if that helps. Also if these careers do not provide a survivable pay, what career can i go into that will allow me to live comfortably in the DR?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Also, I was wondering if english teachers make more than nurses in the DR. Does anyone know how much nurses or english teachers make? I am fluent in english and spanish if that helps. Also if these careers do not provide a survivable pay, what career can i go into that will allow me to live comfortably in the DR?

Do you have a Diploma of "Teacher of English" ?

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Do you have a Diploma of "Teacher of English" ?

I have a teaching certificate and graduate degree in education. What are the prospects for a native English speaker with my credentials?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
go to work as a nurse in miami or puerto rico and then commute. try 3 days of double shifts then 4 days off.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Depends where you work as a teacher. I have my TEFL and looked into working while there, not worth it if you expect good money. $10,000 us in a Sosua school (teaching English and maths), or a Christian --------- school (sorry name has long gone) in Santiago has just emailed me wanting to have a meeting, they were offering around $8,000 us (english). I applied for these last year for this year and have now left the country so not relevant to me anymore.

latka

Feb 13, 2009
$10,000 is not unreasonable for me. Was your TEFL instrumental in obtaining consideration? I am not sure if it is necessary for me.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Yeh, I'm pretty sure it was. I'd give it a go, you can't go wrong, a rejection is only a rejection.
Good luck with it all.

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
in order to be able to teach english what kind of education will i need, and how long will it take?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Latka - A TEFL certificate certainly won't be necessary if you have a normal teaching certification in your home country. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a job with those credentials. I know a couple of schools who are hiring people at the moment with much less!

Anita - most schools will want a teaching certificate and some sort of university degree, but some will hire if you have a TESL certificate. Experience is a HUGE plus as well!!