DOES AT&T get service out there like verizon does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdsta21

Jun 21, 2008
i went on vacation last year and had great service with my verizon phone but now i got the apple joint...will i get service out there>?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I cant comment on Apple specifically but be aware that you will incur hugh roaming charges if using a US phone in the DR.

Reactions: Tamborista

Murdsta21

Jun 21, 2008
oh yeah i no about roaming with the last years phone and **** but now i got a new phone with at&t so idk..ihope

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You will get perfect AT&T reception @ $1.99/minute ROAMING PLUS long distance charges!

Just use the iPhone WIFI for free and buy a cheapee local cell phone.

tambo'

Jan 17, 2009
AT&T works perfectly well. I've learned from other Iphone users that text messages are free. Check it out with AT&T wireless before you come. You'll save a ton just by texting and picking up a wireless signal. There are many places with free WiFi.

mashinka410

Oct 14, 2008
didn't work for us

Had 2 friends with iphones (at&t) in the DR and they did not work; 1st time was last April in Puerto Plata, 2nd time was in October in Sosua.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Get a majic jack hook up and go to any internet caffe and for 1 dollar an hour, talk and talk and talk, and as proven, it works...............also take any old sprint, verison or at&t phone there and get it turned into a prepaid phone for around 10 dollars US....

If you do anything other than wifi, with your phone with at&t, international service or whatever, it's gonna cost you out the nose.........

So it's a hassle or you can pay the 2 dollars a minute with at&t or sprint........I have learned the hard way already..............

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Unlock your iphone and use local DR service. Once unlocked buy an Orange sim card and use it while in the DR. When you leave pull the Orange sim card and put the AT&T one back in. You can also change your voice mail greeting to give people the DR number. Let them know it will be an expensive call so don't call unless its an emergency.

Also your outbound calls to the US on Orange will be MUCH cheaper than roaming.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
i went on vacation last year and had great service with my verizon phone but now i got the apple joint...will i get service out there>?

When AT&T was Cingular, the service worked in DR, but was very expensive. When Cincular became AT&T my phone did not work in DR. It seems that there is a plan you need to subscribe to..... International Roaming or something at 5.99 USD per month. If subscribed, your phone will work in DR and the cost to make calls is slightly less per minute; but not much.

This is how it is with my AT&T service anyway.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When AT&T was Cingular, the service worked in DR, but was very expensive. When Cincular became AT&T my phone did not work in DR. It seems that there is a plan you need to subscribe to..... International Roaming or something at 5.99 USD per month. If subscribed, your phone will work in DR and the cost to make calls is slightly less per minute; but not much.

This is how it is with my AT&T service anyway.

You pay $1.59 for the privelage of ROAMING instead of $1.99!

Get a DR phone as suggested, and just use the iPhone for free WIFI.

t'

Status
Not open for further replies.