Another attempted robbery in Sosua

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
While I went to the store someone jimmied my front door and pulled the safe off the wall, wrapped it up in a blanket and left it on my chair.

These thieves are fast, equppied and INFORMED.

I was only gone for 20 minutes.

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
What area

If you don't mind sharing the neighborhood PM me. Not been feeling so safe here lately, stuff going down everywhere I turn.

M

MirianAmor

While I went to the store someone jimmied my front door and pulled the safe off the wall, wrapped it up in a blanket and left it on my chair.

These thieves are fast, equppied and INFORMED.

I was only gone for 20 minutes.

wrapped it up in a blanket and left it on my chair.

You were lucky

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Indeed...at least they didn't get The Bubba Burgers!

;)

I just checked and the Bubbas are safe, pardon the pun.

I did get lucky, and the old story is true about leaving all of your eggs in one basket.

I am going to have to draw a treasure map to find this card, that i.d. etc

Use the safe as a decoy with signs in spanish pointing to location of gringo valuables.

At least time they did not stop and eat my food.

When they got my laptop they ate my left over BBQ chicken.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wrapped it up in a blanket and left it on my chair.

You were lucky

in my case THEY would've been lucky.
safe mounted clearly visible and always heavily filled with rocks, ha ha.
never store money in the house, and if yes do never use the simple house safe for such.
you can run every business on the Isle without storing amounts of money at home, that's why checks, cash cards aso are made for.
use 'em and let everybody know that you leave nothing at home.
Mike

Aug 21, 2007
Gosh, Mike, I am sorry. We all assume that if we put items in the safe, that they are well, um, safe. I imagine that you feel invaded. I know that I would. And distrustful in the future.

I sympathize with you and what experiences you have gone through. No matter what others here might say, don't blame yourself.

And thank goodness the fools didn't know the value of the Bubba Burgers!

Lindsey

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Those wall safes are just screwed to the wall and are removed quite easily.

I remember when they built the new Banco Popular here in Sosua, it was just a bank made of wood and they demolished it in two days but the safe which had Rebar every 2" apart that took them 3 weeks with a jack hammer to demolish

Next time buy a Dominican safe ........they KNOW !

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Did you even bother reporting it with the police?

why??
to let them in the house and find out where the money is stored now??
ha ha
no no,
there is nothing to blame on Mike.
i know those safe models ver well, the thiefs take them off with half the wall even still attached and throw 'em in their trunk and drive away to open them somewhere calmly.
it is always the big question in general:
many alarm/security items and safe aso aso, you usually can not install such in much secret, so there will be people who assume right away that in that house/appartment are always millions stored, so they may grow a plan to await you on nighttime when you come back home and put a gun to your head or wife or kid.
of course it also all depends about the location where each one is living.
in my own case we have some noizy dogs around and a nightguard always sleeping nearby, during daytime the house is never alone.
glad to hear that nothing happened to Mike himself and that they could not get away with the safe neither.
and of course that the burgers are safe, lol.
Mike

M

MirianAmor

in my case THEY would've been lucky.
safe mounted clearly visible and always heavily filled with rocks, ha ha.
never store money in the house, and if yes do never use the simple house safe for such.
you can run every business on the Isle without storing amounts of money at home, that's why checks, cash cards aso are made for.
use 'em and let everybody know that you leave nothing at home.
Mike

Much better to give the money and jewelery than your life. Always keep money or they will kill you and the wreck your home. Not that that is important at that stage. They will never believe you have nothing in the house. See : incident in Cabarete a few weeks ago.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Well I wont be keeping any special money put aside specially to give to robbers - strange advice ! what if they dont beleive you dont have jewels - do I have to buy some of them as well

M

MirianAmor

Well I won't be keeping any special money put aside especially to give to robbers - strange advice ! What if they don't believe you don't have jewels - do I have to buy some of them as well

If you were tied up and your wife was held at gun point for money etc - what would you do? Plead nothing, whilst they shot you both and ransacked what was your home?

Very strange. Welcome to the Dominican Republic.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Much better to give the money and jewelery than your life. Always keep money or they will kill you and the wreck your home. Not that that is important at that stage. They will never believe you have nothing in the house. See : incident in Cabarete a few weeks ago.

agree on that point.
a few 1000 peso bills aside of the underwear in the drawer usually do that.
but we know why we do not discuss all on a public bord, yeap.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well I wont be keeping any special money put aside specially to give to robbers - strange advice ! what if they dont beleive you dont have jewels - do I have to buy some of them as well

grow up.
she pointed exactly the right way.
when you have to carry money to the bank, do ya do so in the big wallet?
a few bills in the wallet aside the ole expired credit card do it.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Crime??
what Crime??
nobody was talking about any Crime.
that been just some youngguns looking for the money to buy their next kick.
hey, we are living in a world where those big modern countries wanna legalize drugs and such ..., so all things related to the nearly legally purchased stuff can not be called a Crime.
heck,
i plee for hanging 'em all,
but who am I?
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sorry to here about this mike. Your second break-in in a short while? Know who? (don't post it!). Someone have it in for you or just random? You go out the same time each night? They know your routine?

jr, I have decoy everything :cheeky: even bumbag (fanny pack for US citizens). Have even picked up the wrong one myself to go shopping........ Decoy keys also.