tankless hotwater/showerhead

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I know in the UK and Europe they have tankless hotwater heaters and showerheads that provide endless hotwater when water is running.
Are these available in the Dominican Republic? If so where?

I know I can get either from ebay but was wondering if they are available here?

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
one of my boys bought one the other day, but he had it shipped in from the factory..Let me know if you want the details...He swears by the darn thing!!

HB

Henry03

Nov 11, 2002
shower heads

The electric shower heads (ducha electrica) are available in most hardware stores.
I don?t know about the availability of the tankless heaters.
H

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought one in SD a couple of years ago for our shower in our house in the campo [Najayo Beach], and it worked great the first week. Then 'poof', a spark, and that was the end of that. We didn't replace it. I suspect the on-again off-again electric current fried it.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
I got one in La Sirena. The showerhead was $900 RD and the pole that covers the wires was $200RD. When we connected it we used a thin wire so of course it burned out after a wek, but after replacing it we've had no problems, other than losing connection to the internet when someones using the heater(weird!).
At the last place I lived at we had a decent size tank,but the hot water would run out after 7 minutes while with the heated showerhead that hasn't happend. Plus you don't have to wait for it to heat up like you would w/ a tank. I love it!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
details

Yes, Hillbilly, would love the details.
Thanks all, even the price at La Sirena is better than what I can get it for on ebay.
It will be nice to have hot showers in the winter months.
Too bad you can't use the internet and have a shower at the same time babyblu, but then again why would you? LOL :)

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
i am on my second shower head type in 3 months bought at brazil hardware, first one died in 3 weeks the second has 3 settings but only frio and boiling hot work, also need to keep hitting the bittle before it wil work seems like internal short...no luck with these yet. if anyone recommeds a quality brand and where to buy, please?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have one of these showerheads and the problem with getting just boiling hot water is often because the holes are plugged up with gunk. If it is a plastic model like mine, you can just unscrew the top part and punch out the holes with a needle which will give you more water flowing through it at a more comfortable temperature. I do this about once every six months.

I am a Yank and we don't use the word "bittle" so I don't know what it is. But if the issue is a short, the problem is not in the showerhead but in the electric wiring, n'est ce pas?

Reactions: Celt202

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Just the thought of a Dominican with a butter knife and some electrical tape rigging the water to pass through an electrical current above my head freaks me out.

I'm no electrician though :)

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
I have one of these showerheads and the problem with getting just boiling hot water is often because the holes are plugged up with gunk. If it is a plastic model like mine, you can just unscrew the top part and punch out the holes with a needle which will give you more water flowing through it at a more comfortable temperature. I do this about once every six months.

I am a Yank and we don't use the word "bittle" so I don't know what it is. But if the issue is a short, the problem is not in the showerhead but in the electric wiring, n'est ce pas?

sorry meant bottle not bittle, i will try your method, thanx

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
I got one in La Sirena. The showerhead was $900 RD and the pole that covers the wires was $200RD. When we connected it we used a thin wire so of course it burned out after a wek, but after replacing it we've had no problems, other than losing connection to the internet when someones using the heater(weird!).
At the last place I lived at we had a decent size tank,but the hot water would run out after 7 minutes while with the heated showerhead that hasn't happend. Plus you don't have to wait for it to heat up like you would w/ a tank. I love it!

what make is the la sirena one?? does it have decent water pressure through it as mine is a weak dribble?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One of the best brands you can get is Corona, I have had mine for over three years and it works great.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
LOL I gathered that now my question is where?

Well, here in Santiago I bought mine at Bellon and you can ask Sking where she got hers. Since they are apparently the best quality they have a tendency to sell out first. On their corporate webpage they have a phone contact for their distributor in SD.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Can somebody who understands it fully address the issue of proper grounding of these devices?

Thanks

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Can somebody who understands it fully address the issue of proper grounding of these devices?

Thanks

Most houses in the DR don't have electrical systems with a grounding wire but that can be easily remedied by creating a dedicated grounding system for the shower head by buying a readily available grounding bar and inserting into the ground a min. of 7 feet and then connecting securely a 14 ga wire at least to one end and the other to the ground (green) wire of the heater assembly.

Last edited: