Medical Evacuation Help Please

SantoRob

Dec 16, 2007
Urgent help needed please. My business partner who is an American is dying in a Clinic in Santo Domingo from staph infections and complications. He needs to be brought to the US immediately for treatment. Does anyone know reliable Medivac Companies operating between the US (Miami Jackson Memorial) and DR.
Preferably we are looking for a Charitable organization of some kind as we dont have the $20,000 I have been quoted already by some Medivac Companies.

Also, if anyone especially Doctors in the DR read this and know about Staph infections, and how to treat them any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any, comments about the Clinic Abreau in Gazcue would be appreciated as well. I am in the US and have not seen anything there yet. Is this Clinic Capable of treating him.

Please reply directly to:
Rhudelson@gmail.com

Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
My wife's medical exam for Canadian visa was done at Clinic Abreu, it is one of the 2 clinics they accept results from, so it must have good reputation.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Clinic Abreu is where the US Embassy sends all the Peace Corps workers. It is also the one that has the top recommendations from the French residents in Las Terrenas. (According to the World Health Organization, France has the best medical system in the world). I would not worry about the care in Clinic Abreu. It is top quality. What I would be concerned about is if he is alone, has anyone to talk to you?

If you do not have international medical insurance that will cover medivac, I doubt that you will find any charitable organization that would cover this expense. Even few international insurance companies would authorize a transfer out of the country for treatment of a staph infection.

Who is your on the ground contact? Was he just here on vacation, or business? Have you informed the Embassy?

How can we help you?

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Try two things.

Call the U.S. Coast Guard in San Juan, PR and ask if they would consider a humanitarian flight to evacuate your friend. There is an Air Station in Borinquen, PR which is a very short flight away from Santo Domingo.

If the Coast Guard is unable to provide a medevac ask them about private helicopter service in Puerto Rico.

If your friend is in serious condition there are a couple of fine hospitals in San Juan that can probably treat him.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
The phone number for the Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Center in San Juan is
(787) 289-2042.

Call them now.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Cutter? Nope! A helicopter might do the trick. I am retired from the Coast Guard and served in San Juan for many years. They might just have the resources in the form of of their own helicopters or perhaps a private service from San Juan or Mayaguez.

The point is that the guy is an American and his insurance will probably cover hospitalization in Puerto Rico, which is U.S. territory, but you already know that Tambo.

;-)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You're kidding?

Cutter? Nope! A helicopter might do the trick. I am retired from the Coast Guard and served in San Juan for many years. They might just have the resources in the form of of their own helicopters or perhaps a private service from San Juan or Mayaguez.

The point is that the guy is an American and his insurance will probably cover hospitalization in Puerto Rico, which is U.S. territory, but you already know that Tambo.

;-)

You're kidding, really? The US Coast Guard would come in and take a private citizen out of a reputable hospital here in the DR over to PR? Did you ever do that? I can't imagine why this would come under the heading of "search and rescue"-- it is not as if the man is lost at sea. He is in the best hospital in the country. I would certainly stay in Clinic Abreu than go to Mayaguez.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Annie,

Sorry my message isn't clear.

Yes, the Coast Guard has and does provide humanitarian assistance under certain situations. Rescue at sea is not all they do. You will just have to trust what I'm telling you. I did the Coast Guard thing for 27 years.

I don't know that this situation fits, but it obviously doesn't hurt to call. The worst that can happen is that the Coast Guard will say no.

If the Coast Guard doesn't provide resources, as I've said, they will likely know who to contact in Puerto Rico, and can at the very least help the OP with putting the correct people in touch to get this person into the U.S. medical system for certainly less than $20K.

Now, as I read the first post again, this guy says that his friend is dying. He also essentially said $20,000 is too much to save his friend's life. There are less costly alternatives.

And lastly, there is an insurance issue which must be dealt with. It has nothing to do with the quality of care in DR; however, the friend is "dying" in a DR clinic and the OP is looking for an alternative. I have provided that.

The Coast Guard primarily helps "private" citizens. Private citizens pay their salary.

Take it as you will!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
OK, Thanks Dan, I had no idea that one could call the Coast Guard for things like that. My nephew is just graduating from the Academy so we are a proud Coastie family now! I sent a PM to the OP put he did not reply and has not been back to the board to I guess the crisis is over.......hope it had a good ending. (I HATE that- when you reach out to people who ask for help and they don't bother answering!)

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I wish him a very successful career and I hope he takes care of the Coast Guard like those who served before him! If you can make commencement please go!