Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Safes are Magnets for Thieves

These days having a home safe is like hanging a sign on the front door that says, "Rob Me!"

Given all the recent robberies we've been hearing about, the urge to hoard all one's valuables in a home safe might be pounding mightily. And you wouldn't be the only one, judging from grocery to hardware stores doing brisk business selling them.

However, keeping loads of money and other valuables around the house in a home safe remains an ill-advised step.

While you may think your home safe is a secret, generally it's not. There's the maid or housekeeper, gardener or handyman, and perhaps others who witnessed you bring in the safe and perhaps even helped you install it. Of course, like most folks, they like to talk about their jobs and who knows where the information that you have a home safe ends up.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seachange View Post
    These days having a home safe is like hanging a sign on the front door that says, "Rob Me!"

Given all the recent robberies we've been hearing about, the urge to hoard all one's valuables in a home safe might be pounding mightily. And you wouldn't be the only one, judging from grocery to hardware stores doing brisk business selling them.

However, keeping loads of money and other valuables around the house in a home safe remains an ill-advised step.

While you may think your home safe is a secret, generally it's not. There's the maid or housekeeper, gardener or handyman, and perhaps others who witnessed you bring in the safe and perhaps even helped you install it. Of course, like most folks, they like to talk about their jobs and who knows where the information that you have a home safe ends up.
    Another option is furniture with hidden compartments!!!!

Of course, you have to keep this a secret. There are pieces of furniture that you would never know has a secret compartment.

Just a thought.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Another option is furniture with hidden compartments!!!!

Of course, you have to keep this a secret. There are pieces of furniture that you would never know has a secret compartment.

Just a thought.
    There is even e type of furniture named after it a "secretaire" a bureau type of furniture with hidden compartements

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes one has to be careful with home safes. I bought a strong box after we let our last housekeeper go for stealing and had it locked up in my office where the new housekeeper is forbidden to enter (only the wife and I) and thought everything was chevre until one day I was downstairs and my wife takes the strongbox out of the office and braings it downstairs right in front of the housekeeper so that I could show her the combination again. Oh well so much for planning.

The next step is to have it recessed in a wall in my office or the armario. BTW, if anybody needs this done let me know and I will send my Dominican brother to do it for you cheap. He lives here in Santiago and will travel all over and I guarantee his work and confidentiality.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Do banks here offer safety deposit boxes?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liam1 View Post
    Do banks here offer safety deposit boxes?
    Yep they do, but very careful with the bank you select. My sister had a bunch of stuff at Baninter and lost it when it went under.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safe Deposit Box Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    Yep they do, but very careful with the bank you select. My sister had a bunch of stuff at Baninter and lost it when it went under.
    Your best bet is a Safe Deposit Box outside the banking system which affords safety and privacy. And few companies like Banker Trust offers both.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

wow is there any solution here to protect ones assets from ladrons?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    wow is there any solution here to protect ones assets from ladrons?
    There are many precuations one can take, search the threads for more info.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Just try to be discreet as possible with your wealth and valuables. A strong box or safe can be lag bolted into the floor and or a wall making it extremely hard to remove. Be creative when placing these items in your house or condo. Put them in unusual spots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast