Banco Popular withdrawl limit?

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Anyone else had communication for Banco Popular saying that the daily withdrawl limit has been reduced to $3,500 for ATMs?

And I thought that $10,000 per day was a pain in the ass!! Now to braving the 45-1hr cues in the bank every time I need some cash.

Anyone know why they've done it?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
last time i used my CC at a machine of banco popular been 2 weeks ago, i took 2 sweeps of 10.000.- pesos each like often, no problems.
did not hear that they limited that, would be a real p.i.t.a., yeap, i mean 3500 would be not even 100 US$, and that per day???
Mike

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Anyone else had communication for Banco Popular saying that the daily withdrawl limit has been reduced to $3,500 for ATMs?

And I thought that $10,000 per day was a pain in the ass!! Now to braving the 45-1hr cues in the bank every time I need some cash.

have not seen or heard that...I usually take 30,000 pesos,with a 10,000 max
each swipe...have been doing that for some time...
bob

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

Did you receive the information in the same manner as Chip - by TEXT massage? Seems a very unprofessional way for a bank like Banco Popular to communicate with customers!!

What did your branch manager of Banco Popular say when you 'PHONED' him to check if this was official bank policy or just a error or maybe a hoax by someone else? :ermm:

You HAVE 'phoned them I take it? :paranoid: ~ Grahame.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Did you receive the information in the same manner as Chip - by TEXT massage? Seems a very unprofessional way for a bank like Banco Popular to communicate with customers!!

What did your branch manager of Banco Popular say when you 'PHONED' him to check if this was official bank policy or just a error or maybe a hoax by someone else? :ermm:

Email and text message. Its only a "temporary" situation, but temporary could mean a lot of things!!!

The email is actually a image file, think this should work...

cidimage001png01c9a323.png

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is official policy now. There are notices next to the atms here. I asked the manager and he said it was temporary to cut down on fraud??? No answer to if there is something we should know about. Maybe they are running out of money??? Hopefully not!!

And if I read it right it is only 1000RD$ at night. Can't see the working girls being too pleased about that!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004

I'd like to get one of those!!;)

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
I have noticed over the months that more and more banks seem to be 'just out of money' when I visit. Obviously this is a strange way of dealing with such a problem but could it not be the reason. I spent one night visiting every bank and only managing 7000 between the lot of them.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I saw this thread earlier today but hadn't received any notification, and when I tried to withdraw some money today it said I had exceeded my limit, even when I went down to RD$3,500 - probably because I'd got a RD$200 phone top-up just before trying to make the cash withdrawal.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
by reading the above copied notification i understand this is just for cards from Banco Popular/use of Banco Popular cards.
so the working gals stay happy, their clients use CC's not issued by banco popular(o.k., mostly, lol).
i took a 10.000 pesos sweep at a cajero from BHD bank on around 5:30PM today and it went fine like always.
is this a Banco Popular specific issue for the cards of BP customers, or what?
i took the money today at the cajero of the banco popular office located aside Cruze Coco Loco here in bavaro.
Mike

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
yes you can use cards from other companies or banks in Banco Popular atms up to their normal limit. It is just Banco Popular cards in any machine - not just theirs which has this limit.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: THis has to do with a major issue with cloning. Apparently the BPD has be hard hit...

HB, the word with the bark on it, this time...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

No, as I only have a savings account in dollars there is no need as the only way one can withdraw money is in person, with identification and the little book they give you.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right chip.
but hey, i am not with banco popular, i have my savings account(i guess so you guys name in english what is a 'cuenta de ahorros', right?) with BHD bank. no book (libretta or such) involved. to withdraw money i just go into one of their offices, show my cedula, tell em the account number and let them know how many dollars i wanna take with me today. the only thing to fill in is my signature on the computerprinting when the lady at the cashier booked the money from the account on her 'putermonitor. but banco popular may work different, i have all my accounts dollars/pesos/euros at BHD, so i can just comment on mine, not compare.
to the OP,
that sounds like a Banco Popular specific scam/card copies prob aso, b/c it effects only customers of BP cards.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
btw,
that restriction to 1.000.- pesos on nighttime means for some areas that you can not even pay your taxi home from the disco with the money allowed to take from such a transaction, in case you wanna be a good boy and not drive home yourself drunk.
if they have a mayor prob with their customers ATM cards the only solution would be to shut them all down and provide a fresh sytem, costs money, yes, but the only way to provide customer's services when some freaks got you and took your card-data to steal money.
Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Funny, Banco Popular blocked my ATM card yesterday for transferring money from my local US$ to RD$ account. I asked them why they did it, they said it looked suspicious. I could understand if it was to an outside account, but to my own account? I guess they are getting nervous and really clamping down.

The new "temporary" withdraw limits are a joke, but what can you do.
Sometimes it's best not to ask questions and go with the flow :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i knew Rocky is right.
he warned me that you are a suspect.
even your own other banck account does trust ya,
woooooahahahahaha
sorry Rob,
but that behavior of BP is a joke.
if they know that such a frightening amount of false/copied whatsoever cards of 'em is used they should just shut their system down and think about a new one.
if i am stuck with my car on nighttime somewhere far from home and need to fix something, even only to manage to pay a cabby who drives me home and i am not able to take even 30 bucks from a ATM, heck, i guess some motoconchodriver would love in my face for such.
they have to fix that quick or they will sure loose a big bunch of customers for that.
Mike