Ladrones at Playero Supermarket In Sosua!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I live in Santo Domingo. I was in Sosua yesterday,and stopped into the Playero Supermarket in Sosua for the first time. Lets make a long story short here, when I checked out the bill was 750 pesos. I gave the clerk 1000 pesos. she gave me a handful of 10 ,and 25 peso coins, and a 100 peso note.I guess that was to confuse me! It was only 150 pesos,not the 250 she owed me. I hadn?t spoken to her up until then. I told her in Spanish that she didn?t give me the correct change,and that I was NOT A TOURISTA! She didn?t bat an
eye,or ask to count the money. She just gave me 100 pesos. Now how did she know that she had shorted me 100 pesos without looking,:ermm::ermm:;)

Nice to know that the DUMBinicans on the North Shore are thieves just like on the South Shore!! Maybe the whole Country are thieves,,,, Nah!!!!! How could THAT BE!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon
Disclaimer(((( To ALL the Dominicans on the island who are NOT thieves,,, I ask you both to forgive me for Stereotyping you!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thant's what you get for coming to Sosua and not stopping by to say hello.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
That is so true at Playero. After shopping there for 3 years I bet that at least 95% of the time I am short changed or double rung on the register. I believe that at the end of the day any overage in the drawer is split between the checker and management. It happens too frequently to be a mistake. That on top of the constantly rising prices there for no apparent reason makes me all the more happy that La Sirena is now open. Shopped there for the first time yesterday and i can now say i will only use Playero as a convience store when i need milk, water of a few eggs. No more routine shopping for me there again. Many others that i know in the area feel the same way. Maybe the owner will now be forced to shape up and start giving customer service.

Bob K

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I know its only a peso here and a peso there or 50 pesos here and 100 pesos there but I too get sick of it at the Playero. I hate going there but my wife enjoys some of the items they offer. At Jose Luis here in POP they tried the same thing with me. When I asked in English for the correct change the girl reached in the draw and without knowing how much i had be short change gave me the correct change. After 2 1/2 years it is no longer a problem but I ALWAYS check my change in front of the cashier, just to be safe.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
On the subject of getting short changed at Jose Luis. Why is it that every time I've completed my weekly purchases there that I never am given the raffle tickets to win the car when on promotion. When I ask for them the girl just tosses them to me out with an angry look. Yet at the same time Dominicans that I see and know that shop there never have to ask, and are probably given more then they purchased. Could it be maybe I didn't read the sign that say gringos can not win the SUV!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
On the subject of getting short changed at Jose Luis. Why is it that every time I've completed my weekly purchases there that I never am given the raffle tickets to win the car when on promotion. When I ask for them the girl just tosses them to me out with an angry look. Yet at the same time Dominicans that I see and know that shop there never have to ask, and are probably given more then they purchased. Could it be maybe I didn't read the sign that say gringos can not win the SUV!

It's because you are very rich and do not need a free car :cheeky:

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry, nay sayers, but I always go to the same checkout girl. Always get the right change. Maybe it is better to wish the new La Sirena well and hope that competition makes for better business at Playero.

Just remember that they (Playero) are running a grocery store in a resort area. Always, in that situation, you pay higher prices. Like it or not.

Lindsey

Reactions: MikeFisher
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Sorry, nay sayers, but I always go to the same checkout girl. Always get the right change. Maybe it is better to wish the new La Sirena well and hope that competition makes for better business at Playero.

Just remember that they (Playero) are running a grocery store in a resort area. Always, in that situation, you pay higher prices. Like it or not.

Lindsey

You're right about the higher prices.... but that doesn't change the situation of short-changing.. that ain't right

M

MirianAmor

I know the owner there, very well.. Never had a problem except they ignore my discount card. I stay there 'til they sort it. His son usually sees me and problem resolved immediately.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
playero is just a rip off.... the charge the highest prices in the DR..... presidente grande's are cheaper at colmados than there....and colder

Reactions: Rocky

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Very very often if you dont have exact change you will be ripped off in many places in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In my three years here in the DR this has happened to me more than once. If I do remember this happened in PP on one of our trips to the beach. I've even gotten the same nonchalont return of the correct change, next time though I think I'll say "que tigueraje".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Very very often if you dont have exact change you will be ripped off in many places in the DR.

Not so, just take your business somewhere else, - you'll be amazed how rapidly "change" appears when you threaten to do just that.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Lindsey

I think that won't happen until a COUPLE of stores go out of business.
Tropical, which I don't dislike, now hopes to hold on to it's customers by spending money on big signs reminding everybody, that they are Puerto Platenos just like it's customers. That's nice, but won't cut it until they do more for Puerto Platenos... like offering more economic products and/or better qualities or a drastic change of concept (yes, I got an idea).

Yesterday I spent 4 hours chasing down an acceptable deal on a new cooking range. Seems that only at Gonzalez (Central Park) they're kind'a trying to decipher the obvious writing on the wall. We're talking over RD$ 10K. Casa Dominicana also tried but then wanted to hit me with a 4% charge for me pulling my credit card and would not budge on giving me a break for NOT using their own transportation. We were talking 500 Pesos give or take... and finally the super tiguera vendedora... said something she shouldn't have said and off I was to Sirena, got the same oven for 500 less AND a nice big smile thank you when I waved my credit card.
Needless to say, we're cooking!
All the other ones have NO clue of what's going on. Even Corrupio... forget about it.
The ever dying Silvero Meson place (can't call it a super maket anymore) was so empty, we feared we'd stand a risk of getting sucked up by some black hole vacuum. I can't believe it's not really DEAD yet.

I'll still try to give some of my business to local businesses... but I refuse to pay a premium to keep numb people happily thinking that I am an idiot.

... J-D.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Just the opposite has happened to me.

Several times I have overpaid and the check out girls caught the error and gave me back my money.

Change is a problem everywhere but at least new coins are in production and circulation so you can't blame the Playero for that.

I truly believe a Gringo will never win the SUV so next year I am changing my name to sound more spanish like Ricardo Montalban and maybe I can ride home in a new ride with Fine Corinthian Leather

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I truly believe a Gringo will never win the SUV so next year I am changing my name to sound more spanish like Ricardo Montalban and maybe I can ride home in a new ride with Fine Corinthian Leather

You really do need to upgrade your ride Mike!

t'

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Last night I was giving a brake to one of the cashiers that I supervise, the fee for parking was five Dollars prepay for San Patrice’s day. A white American guy driving an expensive car ask me to write a receive, he got his $ 5.00 receive, handed me a lot of coins and drove way before I had the money counted, the money I was $ 1.50 short.

No only the Dominicans are thieves.

JJ