Help a a Dominican York adjust to being back in DR

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
Hello folks,

I've been reading the boards here and it seems like there are a lot of good meaning people here so I'm hoping folks would take the time and answer some of my questions.

I'm moving back to the DR after living in the U.S. for 18 years (8 of those in the military). I have a job, and a place lined up in Santo Domingo and I'm really looking forward to being back. My question is, what should I look (and look out for) as far adjusting and getting used to being back home?

Part of the reason for leaving the U.S. is that I no longer feel like I can fit in here. Anyone with any advice for someone trying to start over will be appreciated.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome home and to DR1. :)

My question is, what should I look (and look out for) as far adjusting and getting used to being back home?

Compared with 18 years ago (well I've only lived here just over 16 years but I guess it's close enough)
a) a lot more building & development - places you thought were open spaces are now either housing, shops or somesuch
b) a lot more traffic especially in SD, standard of driving however, remains the same ;)
c) more crime, particularly drug related, than 18 years ago. Don't leave your front door open as your mum probably did back then
d) more of a sense of desperation in many people than 18 years ago
e) those folk who will automatically assume that if you're back here after 18 years you MUST be a deportee :rolleyes:
f) some deportees
g) law enforcement - always had its good & bad apples, now some of the bad apples are more rotten than you would believe
h) ditto politicians, but then you know that
i) there are a whole lot more gringos living here now then then. And amazingly, given the above, most of us are very happy! :)

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
Regarding traffic, I'm debating on whether or not to bring my bike down with me. Is that a good idea or is biking in the streets of SD the suicide wish I imagine it to be?

Where are good places to meet folks from the states? I might go crazy if I don't find people to talk football with once the fall comes around.

Overall, it sounds like things have gotten worse on the security/social unrest front. That's a shame.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer, Lambada. It's going to be interesting (to say the least). A friend of mine told me some areas outside of SD reminded him of Iraq. I gotta see that for myself!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm not from the states and what you call football we don't (I'm a Brit :cheeky:), I live in Puerto Plata & I'm not a biker chick (or even old hen) so you'd be better waiting for responses from the SD people and bikers. But I can tell you that the security issue is, as I see it, based on two things: there is a lot more money here than before but inequitably distributed so the divide between rich & poor is more noticeable now than it used to be and secondly there is now crack in just about every barrio. And the middle and upper classes who use cocaine, get it via delivery service so.........very sad. All part of 'progress'? and not too different from first world countries except some law enforcement & judiciary are in on the act as well. But Iraq, no, not exactly.

Good luck with your move. :) Just keep alert. I'm sure you'll be fine.

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
Sorry for the assumption and thanks for the correction. I've met a few of your boys during my time in the Army and I have to say, they have an interesting sense of humor! Can definitely hold their drinks though.

The rampart drug use is hard to swallow. I have a feeling your assesment can also apply to Santo Domingo as well.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
By bike do you mean bicycle or motorcycle? Either way, be sure to bring a helmet. Motorcycles are common, even a few Harleys around. If you mean bicycle, then that's less common. I have seen a few people on bikes here in SD- either gringos doing the commuting thing, or Dominicans trying the racing thing. Traffic is bad here, and drivers definitely don't know how to deal with/respect cyclists.

There is a normal level of crime as in any large city. But I've lived in a few other large cities in Latin America, and comparatively, SD is safe. Never been to Iraq, but I definitely don't think it can compare!

In the past you could go to Mi Taverna (off of Lincoln) and catch a few gringos there watching football (NFL) but the gringo owner has since sold the place. I haven't been back since. Otherwise, it's hard to find a specific place where gringos meet up. I haven't found one, at least!

Good luck in your move.

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
I meant bicycle. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to bring the bike down anyways and see what happens, although I am definitely wary of biking in the city now that I've read your reply.

I should also clarify the comment about Iraq; my friend was talking along the lines of the lack of social services and the underworld activities that go on in certain places (we both grew up in Barahona and that's what he had in mind.) I don't expect any IEDs in the island.

Are there any TV options that would allow me to get the games at home?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
OK so the comments about not being a biker chick were superfluous to requirements ..........:cheeky:

Also bring a good locking system for your bike - upmarket bicycles attract the attention of ladrones. And I agree cyclists get a raw deal from drivers here.

Something else to give you a current insight: read the entry 'Presidente. Mientras las capillas militares lo quieren acorralar, es evidente cierta insatisfacci?n social.' S?bado, 14 de marzo de 2009 / A?o VII. N?mero 2,974
Desde Dominicana

You can get cable & satellite TV here.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I meant bicycle. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to bring the bike down anyways and see what happens, although I am definitely wary of biking in the city now that I've read your reply.
As you were in the military try asking one of your mates if you can acquisition a half track or Sherman? Should get you through the streets of Santo Domingo a bit easier AND would see you good on the potholed roads outside of town!!

I should also clarify the comment about Iraq; my friend was talking along the lines of the lack of social services and the underworld activities that go on in certain places (we both grew up in Barahona and that's what he had in mind.)
The 'social services' have improved over what they were 16 years ago but 'YUP', that about sums up the DR!

Are there any TV options that would allow me to get the games at home?
Cable, satellite & some local stations cover your funny game of 'Football' (British rugby played by pansies in protection gear - I ASK you????). You shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding a bar or two in S.D. to watch 2 or 3 games each weekend - HEY, we even get ESPN & Fox sports down here now! I know several people up here in Puerto Plata who will give up a good round of golf to watch those athletes 'resting up for a breather' after running round for a FULL 30 seconds or so!:cheeky:!
(Yep, another BRIT who has a warped sense of humour especially when messing about with your AMERICAN FOOTBALL! :bunny: :ermm: :bunny:!? ~ Grahame.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hello folks,

I've been reading the boards here and it seems like there are a lot of good meaning people here so I'm hoping folks would take the time and answer some of my questions.

I'm moving back to the DR after living in the U.S. for 18 years (8 of those in the military). I have a job, and a place lined up in Santo Domingo and I'm really looking forward to being back. My question is, what should I look (and look out for) as far adjusting and getting used to being back home?

Part of the reason for leaving the U.S. is that I no longer feel like I can fit in here. Anyone with any advice for someone trying to start over will be appreciated.

I started visiting DR in 95' and eventually made the permanent move. I agree with Lambada that a major difference between then and now is an increased sense of desperation amoung the people. As a friend of mine put it "Since Leonel is in office, there is no money in the streets". What I think I have seen over the last 14 years is an economy shift from agricultural to services driven, but I am no economist; this is just the way I see it. I grew up in New York City, and can draw many parallels with modern day Santo Domingo. The younger crowd expects more, more, more. New fancy cell phones, Playstations, etc. Luckily there still exists among the people here a fine charm in their ways.

Drugs are a problem in SDQ. There are also alot of "cat burglar" type crimes, however violent crime seems to be on the rise in some areas.

Bring your bicycle, but don't ride it on a public road if you value your life. Motorists will not show you any right of way.

I live in Santo Domino East where the folks are less affluent but more genuine in my opinion. After you get to SDQ and get settled in, PM me if you want to grab a beer and catch a game of proper US Football.

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
I'm going to see how many strings I can pull and see if I can get me a Striker or at least a Humvee!

No beef with rugby players, although I think some of the head shots those guys take mean that there are less ways to implement strategy and tactics on the game. Of course, that is coming from the uninformed opinion of this particular grunt. But that's why I love football. It's a chess match on every play, then you get to reset the board and play again. If you don't mind me asking, how do ya'll Brits end up all the way in DR? Are folks using the word "gringo" on you guys as well or just on people from the U.S.?

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
Toober,

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely take you up on it! Also, thanks for the heads up on the type of crimes. One of the things that kinda jarred me was hearing about how almost everyone is carrying a gun these days, can you confirm? I remember seeing the guachiman posted at places with the old shotguns (I wonder how often they are cleaned) but I'm also hearing about regular civilians carrying weapons all over.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Toober,

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely take you up on it! Also, thanks for the heads up on the type of crimes. One of the things that kinda jarred me was hearing about how almost everyone is carrying a gun these days, can you confirm? I remember seeing the guachiman posted at places with the old shotguns (I wonder how often they are cleaned) but I'm also hearing about regular civilians carrying weapons all over.

It is very common to see men moving about the city with pistols tucked into their pants. This really shouldn?t turn you off. It is their right to carry a pistol so long as they have the correct license. It is for protection in the event of attempted robbery etc./ or as a crime deterrent. The police are ineffective for the most part.

Being from NYC I can relate to your feelings about guns. In NYC, every other weekend some moron kills somebody over an insult, a woman or something else entirely ridiculous. It is not like that here. In the years I have been here I have seen only 2 serious acts of aggression (fist fights).

A big problem for the "Average Joe" is cat burglary. Make sure you house is prepared for it. Who knows, you may feel as though you want a gun after you readjust to DR.

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
I lived in NY before I enlisted, and I can definitely understand what you mean. My main worry is untrained civilians walking around with firearm they don't *really* know how to use. After my experience in the military, that makes the sergeant in me a little concerned, especially considering how ineffective the police services are.

I'm definitely going to look into getting a shotgun for home protection. I'll be living in an apartment building. How does that change the security equation?

It is very common to see men moving about the city with pistols tucked into their pants. This really shouldn?t turn you off. It is their right to carry a pistol so long as they have the correct license. It is for protection in the event of attempted robbery etc./ or as a crime deterrent. The police are ineffective for the most part.

Being from NYC I can relate to your feelings about guns. In NYC, every other weekend some moron kills somebody over an insult, a woman or something else entirely ridiculous. It is not like that here. In the years I have been here I have seen only 2 serious acts of aggression (fist fights).

A big problem for the "Average Joe" is cat burglary. Make sure you house is prepared for it. Who knows, you may feel as though you want a gun after you readjust to DR.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I'm definitely going to look into getting a shotgun for home protection. I'll be living in an apartment building. How does that change the security equation?

It depends on the apartment type and the area. Some apartment complexes have 24 hour security, some don't. I think in most cases an Apartment improves your situation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you don't mind me asking, how do ya'll Brits end up all the way in DR? Are folks using the word "gringo" on you guys as well or just on people from the U.S.?

Many expats of all nationalities call ourselves gringos - not seen as derogatory, just to denote that we're foreigners, because no matter how long we've lived here we recognise we'll always be perceived as foreigners. Which indeed we are. How we got here? Long story but the short version is: came on holiday in 1991, returned for second holiday 1992, felt we had come 'home'. Ten weeks later we were living here. Been here ever since.

On the firearms issue I assume no-one is a good shot. We used to live opposite the Amber Museum in the centre of Puerto Plata & naturally they had a guachiman. Everytime he aimed his weapon even though he was pointing in the opposite direction, we ducked. BushBaby always said the only time the guachiman shot straight was when he was borracho...:cheeky:

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
They'll probably call me that too, after 18 years, I think I'm pretty far apart from the typical island cat. It seems like you've had a good go at it here, congratulations.

The gun thing is the one thing that makes me blink. Spent too much time in Afghanistan and Iraq that the idea of armed irregular walking around is going to take some time to adjust.

Many expats of all nationalities call ourselves gringos - not seen as derogatory, just to denote that we're foreigners, because no matter how long we've lived here we recognise we'll always be perceived as foreigners. Which indeed we are. How we got here? Long story but the short version is: came on holiday in 1991, returned for second holiday 1992, felt we had come 'home'. Ten weeks later we were living here. Been here ever since.

On the firearms issue I assume no-one is a good shot. We used to live opposite the Amber Museum in the centre of Puerto Plata & naturally they had a guachiman. Everytime he aimed his weapon even though he was pointing in the opposite direction, we ducked. BushBaby always said the only time the guachiman shot straight was when he was borracho...:cheeky:

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
The basic cable package I have from Telecable gives me CBS, NBC, ABC (from Miami, I believe). Plus, as others have mentioned, ESPN, Fox Sports, etc.

I live in a torre and there is someone posted to the gate 24/7. Of course, he's asleep at night but he wakes up quickly, from what I can tell!! I feel safe there, but after hearing about a neighbor's break in a few years ago I shut the electronic storm shutters every time I leave the house. Most apartments here have security bars on the windows, especially the ones on the lower floors.

People are definitely not afraid- or too dumb- to use guns here. My 2nd week here, as I was leaving the office, I saw a guy high-tailing it down the street. There was a small groupsof guys (3 -4 men) pursuing him on foot. Behind them was a guy on a motorcycle- who whipped out his pistol and started shooting, presumably at the 1st guy. Didn't seem to care too much that he might hit his fellow chasers or any innocent bystanders. I ran inside and when it was safe the come out the guachi said that the guy they were chasing had stolen some celular phone cards. Typical situation, in my opinion- willing to kill a guy over some Claro phone credit!