Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Studying in the DR

I am going to graduate high school in june and i want to study medicine to become a doctor . i want to know if i can go over there and go to college then Med School and become a doctor then come back to the U.S. and keep my degree (i heard Universities are way cheaper in the DR)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

the way it works here you dont have to do 4 years of college then enter med school, itrs about 1 year of college and then 5 years including residency med school
    yes its cheaper here

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not certain of the transferability of a DR trained doctor to the US. Hopefully Hillbilly will comment, otherwise it would be worth your while to send him a PM or e-mail to seek his direction on this matter.

Gregg

P.S. - How's your Spanish?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If your serious about med school here, I suggest you take a look at the link below.

An ebook written by Tim Martinez about studying in the DR. It's very good!

Dominican Republic Student Guide

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

too bad you have topay for the info

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I just ran into a couple guys who're studying here in Santo Domingo. They're from the US and they're here specifically because it's much cheaper and their work transfers to the US.

They said they know of two med schools here, one in Spanish the other in English. They said aside from price another positive here is that you get LOT'S of hands on experience.

They said the hospitals are so understaffed that they were basically thrown right into the ER where every set of clean hands are needed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default main problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
    I just ran into a couple guys who're studying here in Santo Domingo. They're from the US and they're here specifically because it's much cheaper and their work transfers to the US.

They said they know of two med schools here, one in Spanish the other in English. They said aside from price another positive here is that you get LOT'S of hands on experience.

They said the hospitals are so understaffed that they were basically thrown right into the ER where every set of clean hands are needed.

Your main problem will be passing the certification boards in the US, Before your license to practice is issued. Ask any foreign educated dr. that you know there in the US.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorgesarduysousa View Post
    too bad you have topay for the info
    Tim spent months of his own time and money compiling the info. Stuff that's not available from any other source, unless you want to spend days and days trudging around the universities here.

I don't know about you, but if I could spend US$20 to save myself potentially hundreds of dollars and countless wasted hours, I'd be pretty happy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilwill05 View Post
    I am going to graduate high school in june and i want to study medicine to become a doctor . i want to know if i can go over there and go to college then Med School and become a doctor then come back to the U.S. and keep my degree (i heard Universities are way cheaper in the DR)

Yes you can certainly come to DR to study medicine and ultimately have that DR medical degree recognized in the US but the process is not easy. The first thing you'll need to do is get your High School credential recognized and certified by the 'Secretaria de Estado de Educación (SEE)' in DR. Have a look here: Secretaría de Estado de Educación

Once your HS Diploma and credential have been certified by SEE, you'll be able to apply for admission to one of a few Universities that offer medical degree in DR (UNIBE, UNPHU, Intec...). After completing a medical degree in DR or any foreign country you'll need to get certified in the US by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). From what I've heard and read UNIBE seem to be the best at preparing their medical student for the 'United State Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)'. Information on this test and its requirements can be found here: United States Medical Licensing Examination®
    Information on ECFMG requirements can be found at: ECFMG Certification Fact Sheet
    Unibe's website is: UNIBE :: Universidad Iberoamericana

After you have been certified by ECMFG you can start the laborious process of residency. Be advised that foreign medical graduate usually have difficulty finding a place to do their residency.

Good luck,
    NotLurking

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen. If your scores and credentials are good enough to get you into a decent Medical Program in the States, then you are probably better off doing so. Especially if your plan is to practice medicine in the States.

I have two cousins that are MDs. One went to school in the states, and the other started med school in cuba, but finished up in the DR. Both are in the states now, but their experiences with the board certifications and obtaining residencies were different. My cousin who studied abroad told me that graduates from US programs definitely had the advantage when applying for residencies.

I hate to say it, there is a view that's prevalent here in the States. And that view is that US residents go to Med school in the Caribbean because they can't get into a decent program here in the States. An unfortunate and perhaps unfounded opinion. But one that exists nonetheless.

While you may save money with the cheaper program, you might be setting yourself up for a headache in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast