Studying in the DR

lilwill05

Jan 29, 2007
I am going to graduate high school in june and i want to study medicine to become a doctor . i want to know if i can go over there and go to college then Med School and become a doctor then come back to the U.S. and keep my degree (i heard Universities are way cheaper in the DR)

Nov 25, 2008
the way it works here you dont have to do 4 years of college then enter med school, itrs about 1 year of college and then 5 years including residency med school
yes its cheaper here

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I'm not certain of the transferability of a DR trained doctor to the US. Hopefully Hillbilly will comment, otherwise it would be worth your while to send him a PM or e-mail to seek his direction on this matter.

Gregg

P.S. - How's your Spanish?

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I just ran into a couple guys who're studying here in Santo Domingo. They're from the US and they're here specifically because it's much cheaper and their work transfers to the US.

They said they know of two med schools here, one in Spanish the other in English. They said aside from price another positive here is that you get LOT'S of hands on experience.

They said the hospitals are so understaffed that they were basically thrown right into the ER where every set of clean hands are needed.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
main problem

I just ran into a couple guys who're studying here in Santo Domingo. They're from the US and they're here specifically because it's much cheaper and their work transfers to the US.

They said they know of two med schools here, one in Spanish the other in English. They said aside from price another positive here is that you get LOT'S of hands on experience.

They said the hospitals are so understaffed that they were basically thrown right into the ER where every set of clean hands are needed.

Your main problem will be passing the certification boards in the US, Before your license to practice is issued. Ask any foreign educated dr. that you know there in the US.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
too bad you have topay for the info

Tim spent months of his own time and money compiling the info. Stuff that's not available from any other source, unless you want to spend days and days trudging around the universities here.

I don't know about you, but if I could spend US$20 to save myself potentially hundreds of dollars and countless wasted hours, I'd be pretty happy :)

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I am going to graduate high school in june and i want to study medicine to become a doctor . i want to know if i can go over there and go to college then Med School and become a doctor then come back to the U.S. and keep my degree (i heard Universities are way cheaper in the DR)

Yes you can certainly come to DR to study medicine and ultimately have that DR medical degree recognized in the US but the process is not easy. The first thing you'll need to do is get your High School credential recognized and certified by the 'Secretaria de Estado de Educaci?n (SEE)' in DR. Have a look here: Secretar?a de Estado de Educaci?n

Once your HS Diploma and credential have been certified by SEE, you'll be able to apply for admission to one of a few Universities that offer medical degree in DR (UNIBE, UNPHU, Intec...). After completing a medical degree in DR or any foreign country you'll need to get certified in the US by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). From what I've heard and read UNIBE seem to be the best at preparing their medical student for the 'United State Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)'. Information on this test and its requirements can be found here: United States Medical Licensing Examination?
Information on ECFMG requirements can be found at: ECFMG Certification Fact Sheet
Unibe's website is: UNIBE :: Universidad Iberoamericana

After you have been certified by ECMFG you can start the laborious process of residency. Be advised that foreign medical graduate usually have difficulty finding a place to do their residency.

Good luck,
NotLurking

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Listen. If your scores and credentials are good enough to get you into a decent Medical Program in the States, then you are probably better off doing so. Especially if your plan is to practice medicine in the States.

I have two cousins that are MDs. One went to school in the states, and the other started med school in cuba, but finished up in the DR. Both are in the states now, but their experiences with the board certifications and obtaining residencies were different. My cousin who studied abroad told me that graduates from US programs definitely had the advantage when applying for residencies.

I hate to say it, there is a view that's prevalent here in the States. And that view is that US residents go to Med school in the Caribbean because they can't get into a decent program here in the States. An unfortunate and perhaps unfounded opinion. But one that exists nonetheless.

While you may save money with the cheaper program, you might be setting yourself up for a headache in the future.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Corsair is giving you good advice. If you can manage to go to school in the US do it. Not only will your ability to practice in the US and your residency be better if US trained, but your training will be FAR SUPERIOR to what you will get here.
Have you looked into state medical schools in the US. It might even pay to sit out a year and establish residency in a state with a good school and reasonable fees. Many loans are also available to you in the US as well. There are also Puplic health scholarships and Military scholarships available. Yes you have to pay back for the scholarships in time served, but you will be earning a decent living and gaining esperience during the payback period.
PM me if you want

Bob K (retired Doc here in the DR)

lilwill05

Jan 29, 2007
I'm not certain of the transferability of a DR trained doctor to the US. Hopefully Hillbilly will comment, otherwise it would be worth your while to send him a PM or e-mail to seek his direction on this matter.

Gregg

P.S. - How's your Spanish?

My spanish is perfect (i have Dominican parents)

lilwill05

Jan 29, 2007
Tim spent months of his own time and money compiling the info. Stuff that's not available from any other source, unless you want to spend days and days trudging around the universities here.

I don't know about you, but if I could spend US$20 to save myself potentially hundreds of dollars and countless wasted hours, I'd be pretty happy :)

i just ordered the ebook but i havent been able to read it because i cant find it in my email address .

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you speak perfect Spanish, and IF you want to be a doctor more than anything else in the world--really!--and IF you want a leg up on competition, I would recommend the PUCMM medical program in Santiago. It is not cheap, but since you are a Dominican it is dirt cheap compared to what a US citizen would have to pay or what you would have to pay in any US program.

Okay, why?

1) You get finished in 5 years of tough work with tons of hands-on experience.
2) You will have to take the same test that any US Medical school grad has to take.
3) Yes, it might be a bit tougher for you to get a residence of your choice, but that happens all the time anyway...
4) You will be at least 2, maybe 3 years ahead of everyone that went to US colleges and Med schools.
5) You will not be 100s of thousands in debt.
6) You will have more experience with real people than the rest of your residence class combined...there is little or no medical liability...
7) While BobK is probably right about some things, let it also be known that I have yet to hear of ANY of the PUCMM grads not doing well in their residency programs...so we must be doing something right.

I would not recommend this unless you are really committed to medicine. It has to be a passion above all else.

HB

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Some sources that might help.

I think that you need to commit to doing a lot of research before you make this decision. And you should definitely talk to medical professionals in the States and the DR because there are many other issues that you should consider besides the cost of tution.

I did a quick online search and found this article from the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions.

NAAHP: International Medical Schools for U.S. Citizens

It has a pretty good section on gathering information about International Medical Schools. And it even has a list of questions to ask each school that you are considering. One of the things that NAAHP recommends is that you inquire about the rate at which their students graduate and match with U.S. residency programs. Any school that you are considering should be able to tell you that much.

It looks like there are a lot of resources available to help you decide if this is what you want to do. And let's face it, this is a decision that you want to make using as much information as possible. And not one based solely upon your wallet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good advice corsair. The PUCMM program was the first to be recognized by the Federal Grants agency--whoever it is that give out the Federal Loans...It is also recognized by the California board, and they are tough...

So is Unibe...but that is a for profit place....I would get $300 by getting this guy to go there...

HB