Very interesting article - lawless Santiago?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Many of those with power in the legal system here not take likely to one questioning their judgement, especially without the "due respect" one is accorded. I have seen this personally when enquiring about a Haitian friend at a local jail who was accused of robbery.

No doubt there was an abuse of power but I also have to add if this fellow had gone through the normal accepted channels such as an attorney or cu?a with contacts with a fiscal that none of this would have ever happened and he would have gotten a copy of the list of charges against the boy accused of robbery.

Make no mistake though, in terms of legal rights of the accused here in the DR it is still the wild west and the best way one can avoid issues like this is to keep one's nose clean as possible.

Also, with respect to this happening to a political official, I don't find this surprising, they are generally not well respected and are typically considered not serious and unworthy even as a personal reference and have only limited influence.

This doesn't happen only in Santiago either, I'm sure it happens all over the island.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
Very interesting.

A big reminder to us foreigners of how wide is the meaning of "republic" in "Dominican Republic", "district attorney" in "fiscal Dominicano", "habeas corpus" as in "Codigo procesual Dominicano", and so forth.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I should also add that as everyone should already know, corruption here is rife, especially among those who are in power, such as fiscals, etc. The best thing to do again is too steer clear of shady businesses and people. Guilt by association is very common here too.

Mar 1, 2009
Wow they busted him up! But I read in los commentarios that he falsely identified himself as an employee of the prosecutors office and then he show an expired DNI card. Those things wouldn't help avoid a whuppin, this guy probably walked in their with an attitude and ****ed off the wrong people and it spiraled off from there. Like Chip say's if 'you keep your nose clean', I'm sure you can avoid a beat down. I feel for that guy I really do, especially the stroke, sleeping on the floor and the breaking of his leg ayayay. wow.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Wow they busted him up! But I read in los commentarios that he falsely identified himself as an employee of the prosecutors office and then he show an expired DNI card. Those things wouldn't help avoid a whuppin, this guy probably walked in their with an attitude and ****ed off the wrong people and it spiraled off from there. Like Chip say's if 'you keep your nose clean', I'm sure you can avoid a beat down. I feel for that guy I really do, especially the stroke, sleeping on the floor and the breaking of his leg ayayay. wow.

If that is true that would make somewhat sense that he was received so badly in the local DNI office, of which he was supposedly a member. I'm not advocating the maltreatment of suspects, just that It does read odd in the article that they beat him in the DNI office in santiago after finding out he was a member of the same institution but in the capital.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I hope Nuria investigate this case and get every version of the history she could get, although he maybe went with a bad manner trying to move influences with his DNI ID those are not grounds to beat the hell up of him and send him for 3 months to a regular PRISON not jail, PRISON.