claro tv update

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
had my first experience with a power outage,and subsequent inverter usage.
was watching 60 min,when power went out,inverter came on,pic on tv went to pause,same as if I hit pause button on recorder,then within 5 to 10 sec,it continued with program,as if I had pressed continue button...did not lose any program.
impressive.
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
claro tv update 2

another update for anyone contemplating claro yv in SD>
It has changed the way I watch tv...I use the recorder now about all the time...as I record the programs I want to watch,and then watch them at my convienience.As an example,I like two and a half men....it comes on three different channels,at 3 different times.I have all of them programmed for record,and then when I am in,I watch them.
I also like the late night shows,but cannot stay awake all the time,so again,I record for another viewing time.
The signal also is very good and clear,and have not had any downtime with them.
I am very happy at this time withn the service.
bob

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
another update for anyone contemplating claro yv in SD>
It has changed the way I watch tv...I use the recorder now about all the time...as I record the programs I want to watch,and then watch them at my convienience.As an example,I like two and a half men....it comes on three different channels,at 3 different times.I have all of them programmed for record,and then when I am in,I watch them.
I also like the late night shows,but cannot stay awake all the time,so again,I record for another viewing time.
The signal also is very good and clear,and have not had any downtime with them.
I am very happy at this time withn the service.
bob

FYI, we've had Claro TV for about 6 months now, trial and live. And all in all been good TBH.

Few minor pointers, should you be throttling your bandwidth on the computer, your recordings can come out spotty, and interrupted. Several minutes missing etc...

Fox got cancelled this week due to some internal disupte with Fox, can't tell you any more on that one....

All depends on what you want, its great for us, supports all the TVs in the house, I can grab all the stuff I need from the TV when Im out with the series link etc....

My main gripe has to be that the scheduling info is completely duff.... therefore the recordings in many cases will record the wrong shows. And also, scanning for what to watch is great, until you discover it is just finishing, not just starting!!!

Despite the bitch, its better than Tricom, and I imagine as they have time iron out the kinks, the service should only get better.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Fox got cancelled this week due to some internal disupte with Fox, can't tell you any more on that one....

my fox is channel 151 and has been on ok....I agree with you about the schedule,it is not always correct...

bob

EandE

Mar 12, 2009
Funny timing. I just saw this thread post on Claro TV. I was looking at their site and was surprised to see they had Fox (USA) on it. I even called to confirm that this was not the normal Fox Latin America. They reaffirmed that it was indeed Fox from the US, but made no mention that it was cancelled. Oh well. Wind telecom looks interesting, but they are not offering internet right now.
We're moving in June so we have some time to see how things shake up.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I've heard in a radio show that having Claro tv will also improve your internet flash speed. Could you confirm this?

do not know,as I am not a internet smart person...all I know is that my internet is never down,and I have no problems with my everyday usage...I do not download much,but my daughter with banda ancha does and is seems to be fast...
bob

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
availability

is this available all over the island or just in certain area? i would love something different. I live in Costambar

Feb 7, 2007
I've heard in a radio show that having Claro tv will also improve your internet flash speed. Could you confirm this?

That certainly would not be true for people who have Claro TV over the satellite dish - Internet not involved at all

Feb 7, 2007
That's right and what I said in no way is contrary to what you say.

I said Claro TV over satellite does not use Internet.

There are two Claro TVs.

The first one is over the Internet, for parts of Santo Domingo and Santiago, where you get IPTV. You can get all programming packages.
The second one is over the satellite, for the rest of country. You can get only the basic programming package. They don't say it's satellite until the installer comes to your home and places a big plate on your balcony that captures the microwave signals trespassing on your property.

(and I have two dishes that say "Claro TV" installed to receive my D!$H network off 110w and 119w)

EandE

Mar 12, 2009
Fox and Claro TV

Does anybody know if FOX (US) version is still on Claro TV? I read earlier that it was off the air. We're a few weeks away from moving to Santo Domingo and are looking into getting Claro TV.
Thanks in advance for any help.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Does anybody know if FOX (US) version is still on Claro TV? I read earlier that it was off the air. We're a few weeks away from moving to Santo Domingo and are looking into getting Claro TV.
Thanks in advance for any help.
fox is on my claro tv here in SD.,,channel 151....as I watch it occasionally...dont really like there news reporting,but that is just my opinion.
bb

Feb 7, 2007
So you're saying that Claro is now the authorized representative of Dish network in the DR?

Why two dishes?

Nope, not saying that. Saying that I have two Claro TV painted dishes I use for Charlie TV. I touched "Claro TV" and satellite dishes issue to point out the fact that Claro TV is over satellite (all over the island except SD and ST).

Two dishes - because I get stronger signal on 110w with that. With one dish I would have to point LNB to 119w first and then mount the second LNB to point to 110w. Because the dish would be aimed at 119w (much weaker signal) rather than on 110w (much stronger signal), then the 110w signal would also become weaker.

Rather than having two weaker signals, I opted for 1 super strong and one weaker signal, even though paying extra dish (RD$ 2.100). Now when it rains heavily the signal off 119w starts freezing up and pixelating, but 110w keeps being watchable.

EandE

Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the response Jaguarbob. One quick follow-up. Is 151 Fox News channel or the regular Fox channel you can see in the States. Thanks again for the help.

Feb 7, 2007
Gotcha. I've just got one 2 meter dish, with the two LNB's. 119 goes in light rain, 110 conks out with the heavier stuff.

But if I understand you correctly, if someone lives in the campo, and want Claro TV, they could get it, and claro would come out and install a dish at their house?

Exactly. Claro TV would come up and install the dish, exactly like SKY. The difference between Claro TV and SKY is that ClaroTV (satellite) is basically a basic service (about 29 channels) and SKY is more exapanded, but Claro TV has Dominican local channels and SKY has more international entertainment channels.

But ClaroTV is basically quite nice, within those 29 channels you get channels such as WB, AXN, Sony, E!, Discovery, History, SciFi, Disney, ESPN, MTV, Universal, and novelas channels Caracol and Azteca.For about 500 pesos it's a good alternative to basic cable, or great alternative for campo. If you combine ClaroTV with CharlieTV you get a great channel selection.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for the response Jaguarbob. One quick follow-up. Is 151 Fox News channel or the regular Fox channel you can see in the States. Thanks again for the help.
I think it is the same as one in states...have not been to states for many,many years,so am not sure....but Oreily,and all the rest are on prime time...
bob

EandE

Mar 12, 2009
Thanks Bob. Sounds like Claro TV beats telecable in many ways. Thanks for the advice.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
claro update

another update...they just added 8 more channels of nothing but major league baseball,in english...watching red sox right now...starts at channel 321....
bob