Establishing Cell/Blackberry Service - Santo Domingo

jpoesq1

Feb 18, 2009
I am staying with friends in the SD this week and they have asked me to help them scout some options for cell/Blackberry service. My friend has never had a cell phone, lives on a modest budget, but runs a pretty big organization and could use to be in touch more frequently than is possible for her given that where she works (rural - human services) does not have internet. She is actually quite tech-savvy, just on a laptop and not a phone/Berry.

I would like any guidance anyone can provide about service, plans, internet inclusion, etc.

Many thanks to all and I will try to answer any questions quickly.

J

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
If the friend is deep in the campo no company will have service, if not, then buy him/her an Alcatel phone for 150 pesos and problem solved.

jpoesq1

Feb 18, 2009
Thanks

My blackberry (US) works in the area where they live if that helps. There is also cell phone service for the area provided by Dominican carriers - many people have cell phones. Responses appreciated!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
So what's your problem then? If there is coverage where they live then why buying a cell phone is not a solution to your problem?

jpoesq1

Feb 18, 2009
Clarifying

I may not have been clear. There are a couple of questions:

1. If one wants phone PLUS email/web access (e.g. Blackberry, Trio, etc.), what companies are best?

2. Can someone provide an estimate of monthly cost for plans?

No problem with snarkiness here.

J