Disputing TMobile roaming charges

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Ok...i'll try to make this short.

Was in DR a couple of weeks ago and signed up for Tmobile's international calling plan so i could recieve calls from prospective employers.

I got there and I could only make outgoing calls and called "customer care" my second night there to fix the problem. I could not recieve incoming calls.

After we thought we got the problem fixed...the customer care person said "not to worry you have unlimited" Well since i could not recieve calls i started calling like i would normaly would and ended up with 800 bucks in roaming charges!!!!

I have been fighting them hard...saying that i was ENCOURAGED to use my phone after dealing with customer care...and that i was not provided the service I paid for (no incoming calls)

Has anyone gone thru this nightmare before? If so...any suggestions on how to fight them?

thanks

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
its a scam and they know exactly what they are doing.

the iphone is designed to make it hard to use sims internationally; that was what made this precise point crystal clear for me.

i wouldn't feel bad about not paying it if i were you.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
next time, buy a magicjack telephone device and take it with you. Where ever you have a wifi connection, connect the device in to your laptop and now you have a free incoming call and out going call plan. unlimited 24/7 and no monthly fees. I love my magicjack.
AZB

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Ok...i'll try to make this short.

Was in DR a couple of weeks ago and signed up for Tmobile's international calling plan so i could recieve calls from prospective employers.

I got there and I could only make outgoing calls and called "customer care" my second night there to fix the problem. I could not recieve incoming calls.

After we thought we got the problem fixed...the customer care person said "not to worry you have unlimited" Well since i could not recieve calls i started calling like i would normaly would and ended up with 800 bucks in roaming charges!!!!

I have been fighting them hard...saying that i was ENCOURAGED to use my phone after dealing with customer care...and that i was not provided the service I paid for (no incoming calls)

Has anyone gone thru this nightmare before? If so...any suggestions on how to fight them?

thanks

You posted a question related to this here....

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/86587-t-mobile-dr.html

Now why you didn't pay attention to the responses is your own fault. You were told the bill would be high. I even explained you should unlock the phone and put an Orange SIM in it. For emergency inbound calls you could have used call forwarding or made your voice mail explain to call your new DR number if this was an emergency. Since you couldn't receive inbound calls anyhow it would have been easier to change your voicemail message!

If you couldn't unlock your phone you could have gotten a temporary one for $25 at the Orange store. Then you could have called your voice mail and changed the message with this phone.

Sorry but you have nobody to blame but yourself.

You now have no recourse and can argue all you want with TMobile but in the end you can try to settle the bill or just not pay it and let them credit vultures come looking for you next. Your choice.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i agree with Beads here, if you were going to be in DR and receiving calls you should have changed your voice mail message and give out a number in DR where you could be reached. a SIM card from Orange would have worked just fine and you could get all the incoming calls you want. when i go to DR i just activate a phone for about $300RD and use prepaid cards. people can still reach me if they really need to.
good luck fighting TMOBILE on this, i hope they understand....

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
better go ahead and pay

I had a similar situation with TMobil when I was in Europe. wrong information about data roaming, HUGE invoice and i got very upset and refused to pay for their scam. I ended up with line suspended and I couldn't even transfer my number to another provider, since the account has to be in good standing in order to transfer the number. Also, they can report overdue account to the credit agencies and ruin the credit rating. So I ended up paying the unjust $920 roaming charges, got my phone number released and went to ATT and got an iphone. Big corporations get away with overcharging costumers all the time. If I would be you I would get it over with and pay and move on. Otherwise it'll anger you for month and in the end you will have to pay anyway....

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
okay okay okay

@ tambo...i never use their web site so did not SEE that.

My biggest gripe is that i was not ABLE to recieve calls only make calls. So I basically did not recieve the service that I was paying for. When i called customer care they STILL did not fix the phone and the CS rep basically ENCOURAGED me to use the phone as i had an "unlimited" plan.

Sure i expected a larger bill than usual. I was told that it would cost about 30 cents a minute (perhaps 36 a min).

I ireally cant change providers right now. I am job searching and have hundreds or resumes out there with my current number.

Beads...in the furture I will look into the call forwarding thing next time. I think i might have missed you post as I only decided to actually go to DR a couple of days b4 i left. Buying a phone didnt make any sence to me as i needed access to MY number.

So far they have given me a $100 credit to my current bill. PERHAPS i can set up some sort of payment plan. I've never used my phone internationaly...so YEAH...i am admittedly a bit igonrant about this. I certainly would not have used it so liberaly if the customer care person didnt encourage me to do so. I am a computer geek but a complete cell phone dummy. I dont even text.

I just feel like i was missled. and was wondering if anyone has had any success in this kind of dispute.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
No sympathy from me, you never used your phone before in The Dominican Republic? I find that hard to believe, I always check my ATM usage, and my Verizon bill during/after my trips. You didn't know it was $1.74/minute to call Joisey?

What happened to the TWO job offers you got while eating lambi in Boca Chica?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/87650-found-job-nyc-while-dr.html

Give the bill to your new employer or write it off of your taxes, whining here is not going to get it paid or help your credit by not paying it.

terrible tambo'

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
nope..never had a need to use my phone while traveling before.

and i AM currently working at the job that I got while interviewing with them on the playa. (its just temp tho).

I have always double checked my ATM fees etc...but have never used the phone. I've always used call centers. But this trip was different as Mom was sick and i needed incoming calls from employers.

Tambo...you neglected the fact that the PHONE WAS NOT WORKING when i was there. I was NOT getting the service that I was paying for (incoming calls). and was encouraged by the rep to "go ahead and use your phone".

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Yeah and you can be sure you were not the only one miss-advised, get in line, that's why I posted last year, that majicjack works, just make sure you have the right internet service or you can always pay one dollar an hour at any internet caffe, anywhere..........I left mine with friends there.:cheeky:.......Just bought another one at Radio Shack for $40.00......................again works good if my internet service is up.......

Also take any old cell phone and get it activated with minutes for less than $15 and if you have extra phone or old phones from friends, you can probably trade for minutes or cash, rather than trashing them......I have done the phone thing in Sosua for years at cell phone center where you make the turn going towards Rocky's.......Second store on the right, right off the main road............:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Last edited:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
jrzguy, i understand your need to have incoming calls due to the family contacting you and job offers, but it seems to me the best thing to do on your next trip to DR is what others suggest, and i personally do myself, is activate a phone when there and give the number out to people so they can call you. just about any old cell phone in the US will work, i use my old sprint phones before throwing them out, and activate them in cell kiosks in a mall or on the streets for anywhere between 250 and 400 pesos [in some cases they will include a free calling card] and go from there. its easy and convenient. the hard thing is picking a good carrier. i personally like CLARO with great service and coverage.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
okay okay okay

@ tambo...i never use their web site so did not SEE that.

My biggest gripe is that i was not ABLE to recieve calls only make calls. So I basically did not recieve the service that I was paying for. When i called customer care they STILL did not fix the phone and the CS rep basically ENCOURAGED me to use the phone as i had an "unlimited" plan.

Sure i expected a larger bill than usual. I was told that it would cost about 30 cents a minute (perhaps 36 a min).

I ireally cant change providers right now. I am job searching and have hundreds or resumes out there with my current number.

Beads...in the furture I will look into the call forwarding thing next time. I think i might have missed you post as I only decided to actually go to DR a couple of days b4 i left. Buying a phone didnt make any sence to me as i needed access to MY number.

So far they have given me a $100 credit to my current bill. PERHAPS i can set up some sort of payment plan. I've never used my phone internationaly...so YEAH...i am admittedly a bit igonrant about this. I certainly would not have used it so liberaly if the customer care person didnt encourage me to do so. I am a computer geek but a complete cell phone dummy. I dont even text.

I just feel like i was missled. and was wondering if anyone has had any success in this kind of dispute.

My reply was the first response made the next day. Why would you bother posting a question and never go back to see any of the responses?

By all means continue your dispute if its working for you but I have no sympathy. You got your answers in time before you left for your trip by your own admission and never bothered reading them.

This makes me believe you used the same diligence in setting up your internation roaming and dealing with TMolbile during the entire incident. Maybe you should pay better attention and actually listen when someone answers your questions.

Reactions: Tamborista

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
What thru him off, was the representative miss-lead him, whether intentionally or not, try proving it.......The same thing happened to me about 4 yrs ago while talking to one at sprint......and I was making free calls out of one of the local bars, also......and when I got home.......SHOCKED:surprised:cheeky:

I wanted to keep the majicjack secret to myself and when it was let out the bag here, I said what the heck........:tired:

If home computer, not acting right in DR, go to internet caffe, a little over 1 cent a minute and when in Sosua, go to Rocky's with it............:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

And majicjack sells thousands of them, a day..........

So the DR1 readers should enjoy it while it lasts and learn from other's experiences................:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
listen...i am not looking for sympathy..simply advise. I was mislead by the Customer Care person...i was NOT recieving the service i paid for (incoming calls). Thats it.

I signed up for the service 2 nights before i left (via phone...not internet) and i was obviously running around like crazy trying to get things in order b4 i left. I expected a larger than normal bill (i was told 30 or 36 a min). No problem paying that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are not likely to be able to dispute this bill unless you took names of all service people you spoke to and time of the conversation. then you may be able to prove that you wanted to set and then fix your service but got nowhere. sorry.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Were you able to receive calls or not? This thread says that you could not receive calls. The other thread says that the phone rang while you were on the beach and you don't know why you answered it. Come clean jrzyguy. lol

Reactions: Bronxboy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Were you able to receive calls or not? This thread says that you could not receive calls. The other thread says that the phone rang while you were on the beach and you don't know why you answered it. Come clean jrzyguy. lol

He is just trying to weasel out of the $800 ROAMING charges!

Telcos are generally not known for their charity, so I can not quite understand the logic that Jrzy used in thinking they were FREE outgoing calls?

A bit of contradiction in his posts.....nah...one post says the rep said they were free....and the other says they were .30 or .36....Please tell us the truth Jrzy, that's all we ask!

terrible tambo'