Samana Cheap, Great Stuff! (Video)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Another great video from Mr. Lu, showing you how to do Samana real cheap for a weekend away.

Video and complete breakdown of costs below.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f3NKfh5gbI&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"></param><param name="wmode" value="window"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f3NKfh5gbI&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

With good planning and a good eye you can spend a great time in Samana. Mr. Lu, T-Money and a few friends packed together in Money's Rav-4, split the costs and had a great time. Cheap travel is possible, if you know what to do.

On this trip:

Tolls:
Fees for Samana Highway (These costs are paid each way)

Toll I Marbella : RD$43
Toll II Guaraguao: RD$165
Toll III Naranjal: RD$139

Gas: For a fuel efficient vehicle, a group of 6 put in RD$600 each (estimate), which was enough to get us to Samana and back

Hotel: Hotel Fata Morgana, in Las Terrenas, was US$10 per night. (Prices may vary). A few minutes from the center of town, on the road to Playa Coson. A great hotel. Clean, close, quiet, calm and a great home base for your trip. Only negative, is that there is no hot water, but there is kitchen to cook your food in.

Food: Depends on you. Mr. Lu spent most of his money, during a three day period, on food. Buy stuff at the super market, like snacks. Plus there are plenty of cheap food stands where you can spend RD$200 per night for a full meal. Remember this is for those who travel on the cheap.

Also a plate of fried fish will cost around RD$290 at the beaches.

Alcohol: Bring your own. A cooler in the back of the truck and a few bottle of what yo want. This is if you are partying on the CHEAP......

Extras: RD$30 to go to Salto Limon (On foot) and RD$300 (If you pay for the horse tour, which is not necessary)

There is a small hut on the top of the mountain, before the descent to the Salto where you can purchase sodas and water. They might sell "empanadas" but that is not guaranteed. The hike to the Salto is about 35 minutes, depending on your speed.

It is quite rigorous, but a great walk. Taking the horse takes away from the views. Plus you can't hand out in the rivers....

Anyways, cheap travel is possible, just plan it properly.

Enjoy!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for doing this Mr Lu and company. I did this exact same trip last month, except by gua gua. Salto Limon was beautiful and the beaches and had a great time at Fata Morgana. I miss the owner and her family. Highly recommended!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Great coverage...it took me back to our trip there in 2007, also done on the cheap.

Isnt Playa Rincon the greatest beach?

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Isnt Playa Rincon the greatest beach?

Samana is plenty of great beaches, Playa Rincon is a really nice one, too.

For me the best beach on Samana (and I really know lots of them) was the Playa Cozon/Playa Bonita, tropical paradise for miles. But now, at Bahia Cozon, a new big tourism-project was started - when I was there the last time, it still was very lonely, so I cant?t give you informations about this beach actually.

Saludos and sorry for my bad English

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
Great video! I am planning to make a trip to Saman? the beginning of july and can?t wait after watching that video :)

Keep it up guys.....

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
That's my plan for my next trip to DR.....me hace falta estar en mi pais, respirando aire limpio y fresco. You guys did a great job of breaking down every part of the trip, two thumbs up!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Very nice indeed!

Mr. Lu - how long was the trip in minutes from start to finish to Salto Limon?

I have been to Samana multiple times and have been wanting to do the hike. I don't do it because I always think it's too long of a hike and I lug around a lot of heavy camera gear.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Very nice indeed!

Mr. Lu - how long was the trip in minutes from start to finish to Salto Limon?

I have been to Samana multiple times and have been wanting to do the hike. I don't do it because I always think it's too long of a hike and I lug around a lot of heavy camera gear.

You can do the hike at your own pace. It gets tough at times, but worth doing. I would say that on a normal pace it could take, one way, about 45 minutes, more or less. Of course there are stops on the way to take pictures and bathe in the rivers. If you are taking the hike, best to take a small camera so that your hike is most enjoyable.

I hope you do the hike....

Mr. Lu

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
This is a very nice video, thanks! Samana is such a beautiful place. I will definitely make it there one day.

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
You can do the hike at your own pace. It gets tough at times, but worth doing. I would say that on a normal pace it could take, one way, about 45 minutes, more or less. Of course there are stops on the way to take pictures and bathe in the rivers. If you are taking the hike, best to take a small camera so that your hike is most enjoyable.

I hope you do the hike....

Mr. Lu

Cool man. I will try it when I am next in Samana.