cost of computers

1judith

Feb 9, 2008
I'm moving to the Sosua area, and I would like to buy a computer. I would like to know how much is cost to buy a computer or a laptop. Thanks

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
If you are in the states, get one there and if you are in DR, get it in Santo Domingo or Santiogo................In the POP or Sosua area, things, electrical appear to cost 2 to 4 times as much...........:ermm:

Or call Rocky or PM him, since I don't see him posting much these days, but he is ........................

THE MAN:bunny:

Reactions: FernieBee

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I agree with Augustus. If you're not already in the DR, buy it before you move.

Vince.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you all for the suggestion. I will consider buy one before we leave.
Hi Judith,
I could write a book on this subject, but to cut to the chase, allow me to first ask you if you are wanting a desktop or laptop computer.
There is no doubt whatsoever that laptops will be substantially cheaper in America plus more current models.
If you are considering a laptop or any puter for that matter, I'd love to assist you in that I monitor the deal pages quite closely, like 10 times a day and I have a sharp eye to know the difference between a good deal and one that is not.
As well, I pretty much know which are the good machines and which ones are a bit substandard.
If you're looking at a desktop, then there's a myriad of possibilities of how to go about it.
The thing is that certain desktop items, like box & power supplies (just an example) that are as cheap here as elsewhere, as well, the fully built generic desktop towers, can be quite reasonably priced.
In my case, when I build a puter, I buy the case here because of it's size and difficulty ti transport.
Then most of the innards come from the US or Canada, brought to me by friends.

The proper place to start is here.
Laptop or desktop.
From there, what your needs are, and from there, what, if anything are you willing or capable of transporting.
If it sounds complicated, it really is not.
It's the type of thing that can be resolved in 5 minutes flat.
If you prefer doing this in private, you can PM me or if you feel this info might be beneficial to others too and in no way private, then it can all be done here on the mainboard.
Regards, Marco.

PS: I forgot to mention that this is my hobby and there are no costs involved other than what you purchase.

1judith

Feb 9, 2008
Hi Marco
Thanks for writing. I'm new to this blog, so I don't know what PM mean. I will need the computer in the D.R. to keep in touch with family and friends back in Canada and Europe and to check thing on the net. I don't need anything to fancy but something with good connection. Future Shop in here have a laptop for 799+tax canadian dollar. Build in camera, microphone and all the connections, phone, cable, wireless etc. It's a pretty good one I think, but I don't really need a laptop, a desktop will do, if it's a better prize.
Could you give me some idea which would be better buy it here or but something in the D.R. We are leaving next Thursday.
Thanks
Judith

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi Marco
Thanks for writing. I'm new to this blog, so I don't know what PM mean. I will need the computer in the D.R. to keep in touch with family and friends back in Canada and Europe and to check thing on the net. I don't need anything to fancy but something with good connection. Future Shop in here have a laptop for 799+tax canadian dollar. Build in camera, microphone and all the connections, phone, cable, wireless etc. It's a pretty good one I think, but I don't really need a laptop, a desktop will do, if it's a better prize.
Could you give me some idea which would be better buy it here or but something in the D.R. We are leaving next Thursday.
Thanks
Judith
Given the shortness of time and the all round practicality of a laptop, that may be your best decision.
If you can send me the link to or the brand & model of the laptop you saw, I can let you know what I think of it. It would be good to know the ideal screensize for you so that I could check out other units for you to look at.
PM means private message.
There is a communication system for all the members that allows them to communicate in private.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Feb 7, 2007
Buy it in North America before you move.

if that is not an option, get an EPS account and buy a puter form online merchants like Dell, Lenovo, Sony, HP, gateway or even BestBuy and ship it to your EPS Miami-based address. They will take care of the shipping and customs (customs will be 12% of the declared value) let's say a 1000-dollar Dell would cost you 1.200 with shipping via EPS and customs. Delivered to your city. The same machine (same specs, same brand, if available) would cost you about 25-30% more bought in the cheapest DR comp store

This one is a good buy and free shipping within the US
http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/G60t_series/3/computer_store?aoid=35252

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree. The G series are fantastic, price vs quality & features.
I had one for 2 days before I sold it to my doctor and it was a real slick machine, unbeatable at that price.
I even have another one with drro in NYC, waiting for someone to bring it down here. I could have 100 of these G60s and manage to sell them all. I can't believe the junk they sell in the computer shops for double the price.
Have you had a chance to use one yet, Rubio?
Not only are they super fast, but they are real slick looking, slim, not too heavy (6.6 lbs) great monitor, superb keyboard, excellent webcam, etc.
It's the whole package. Clearly the best laptop on the market in it's price range.
BTW: That's the very same model that apostropheman posted a week or 2 ago, when it was on super special at www.dealnews.com for $467 US with free shipping, plus tax.
What a deal !!!!
Unfortunately, the special only lasted a couple of hours.

Feb 7, 2007
No, haven't got a chance to see those HP's yet, I am not in a market for new puter, got a new Dell last November, so far it's still "modern"