ATM Withdrawals limited to RD$5000 per day

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My ATM card, which is a Banco Popular - Salary Debit Card set up by our company, is now limited to a maximum of RD$5,000 per day withdrawals. No exceptions even for executives.

Are other banks doing this also?

I heard the limit was changed from 10K to 5K to stop the prestamistas from taking out all the money from people's debit cards who had loans with them.

This is a pain the butt, I cannot access my money. I was gonna ask them to increase it from 10K to 15K or 20K before this happened.

To top it off, the Banco Popular machines have been down so now I have to use the Banco Leon machine, which only allows RD$2k so now I have to make 3 withdrawals of 2K, 2K, and 1K to access US$150!

EVERYTHING THAT SHOULD BE EASY IS DIFFICULT, AND EVERYTHING THAT SHOULD BE DIFFICULT IS EASY - IN THE DR.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
I guess you'll have to withdraw your money via a real person, inside the bank...if you need a large quantity.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Your lucky that you are able to take out that much, most of us at my job are limited to $3,500, and then $1,000 after 9:00pm with our Popular cards.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
FernieBee, have you spent much time inside a bank here?
If you have, then you'll know what a complete pain it can be.

I also have Banco Popular and the new limits are ridiculous.
Then again, the majority of people that use ATM's here take out RD$500-1000.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Luckily my account manager at Popular has confirmed that this is only a temporary situation while they are upgrading their platform, and to reduce the risks while they are undertaking it.

How long a platform upgrade takes however is another story alltogether............

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
FernieBee, have you spent much time inside a bank here?
If you have, then you'll know what a complete pain it can be.
I haven't had to go inside a bank in the DR, yet. I've been able to manage with my (USA-issued) ATM cards.

The OP's dilemma, for now, seems to have two options: 1. Accept the smaller ATM amounts mandated by Banco Popular; 2. Find another way to get your money in larger quantities.

I sympathize with his plight.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it is only for customers of banco popular, who use cards of banco popular.
i took today at the ATM with my NON-banco popular card 20.000.- again in 2 sweeps(10.000.- per sweep is the usual limit per sweep, as many sweeps you wanna do til the daily limit of the card), no problem, been the same than always. but again i saw aside the machine pinned on the wall the notice of banco popular that they limited the amount for holders of banco popular cards to 3.500.- per day, and yes, as their customer i would name that a p.i.t.a. and switch the bank. on nighttime it is restricted to 1.000.- pesos, that's lousy 30 bucks, whatcha wanna do with that?
as banco popular customers you should really go on the barricades about such unreasonable measures.
if they think they have a security problem with their customers cards they should cancel all those cards and think about the use of a different system, for the good of their customers. if that is just about that people do not take large amounts of money at the ATMs the action would be a joke, b/c it just effects their own customers, people with cards from other providers can still take out their usual amount of money, day and night.
and the main reason why many people carry a card around is to have that as a backup weapon on the road, for anything non expected coming up, like you get stuck with your car and need some cash to pay a cabby or such on nighttime.
but with the nighttime limit of 1000.- pesos one can not solve much problems i guess, in some areas that would just cover the cabby fare to bring you to the next ATM, but how you get the cash to pay that cabby to bring ya home from that ATM?
so 'on the barricades' i say
Mike

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
You can open up more than one account.........

...........which you should do anyway WITH ANY DEBIT TYPE CARD...........*********ESPECIALLY IN THE GOOD OLE REPUBLICA DOMINICA****
Then use internet banking...........you keep all your money in one account and then only transfer ONLINE certain amounts of money to your second and third account / fourth account etc etc...........

NEVER use the debit card to the first MAIN account..........LOCK THAT UP IN A SAFE.............

We have done this with BPD / BHD / RESERVA etc.............

If for instance I go to Santiago or SD we will always have cash on us along with ONLY Dominican Credit cards and various ATM cards IF we need any money via an ATM...........with maybe 10k or 20k peso in each.............

If you have 3 cards and the limit is 5k you now have 15k per day, and IF the card is compromised you only have to worry about losing what's in THAT card..........and fighting to try to get it back.........

This would be good for all accounts that are in your name..............NOT SURE if the employee account is actually your's and will appear on your internet banking since we are not working here..........

BUT in 15 years of being here, we have NEVER lost any money via an ATM by following this procedure...........THE MAIN DEBIT CARD HAS NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!

Reactions: Dragonfly32837

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
And yet the Banco Popular machine here in the Capital would not give me more than 5000 with either my BanReservas card or my international one....

hi Annie,
the card i used is a simple international Mastercard connected to a german bank account, i have that card sine nearly 30 years now, never a problem, and no new limits or such at Banco Popular ATM's
Mike

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Banco Progreso allows you 10 000 a day.
But you need to withdraw twice 5000.
If you ask for 7000 , the automatic teller tells you , you are over the daily limit, even if you did nothing before.
So you need to ask for 5000 then another 2000.

Days before yesterday at 9 pm I withdrew 10 000 ( twice 5000)
and at 8 am yesterday 10 000 again.

It worked fine as usual.

p.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was at the Popular ATM with a US Visa card, withdrew $5000 pesos, then tried for another $4000 and it would not give it to me --- asked the tellers who were sitting behind the counter and they said - NO there was a $5000 a day peso limit. Perhaps they are saving the money for you in the North Coast?

Last edited:

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Banco de Progreso (Churchill or Plaza Naco for example) allow to withdraw 15000 RD$ per day on foreign Credit Cards.
I do since many years without any problem.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
With one withdrawal I forgot to mention and the card is a foreign Visa card.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
try getting your "nomina" each month with popular. it's a pain. my husband has an account with them for a very-very part-time teaching gig he's got (we're talking less than $4,000 pesos a month) and they wont let him take out his whole check. he's gotta leave about 700 pesos in there. we'd change the bank, but the paperwork with the company is a pain.

but, alas, popular told us yesterday the withdrawal limit is very temporary and should be fixed before "semana santa"

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Just last week I was able to withdraw 10,000 from our local ATM, and I reported it on this forum. Today I was back to 2,500, so I had to go inside. Guess you never know tell you attempt to withdraw it.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Using the ATM's, in the DR is, a bit of an adventure!
2mrzhop.gif

This is not necessarily a good thing!
29xcb2d.gif

Maybe I'll go back to paying in USD, even if it causes the smoke to return...the one emanating from the average Dominican trying perform currency conversions in his head.
2lnb7yw.gif

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Maybe I'll go back to paying in USD, even if it causes the smoke to return...the one emanating from the average Dominican trying perform currency conversions in his head.

I am disappointed in you FB!
Is it fair to draw this conclusion based on your 1-2 annual trip(s)?

tambo'