dutytax on items

bubba153

Jan 24, 2009
Hi,
I want to send some clothes/shoes to my friends children. I will most likely use fedex. My question is there a duty on imports that she will have to pay when she picks it up? and also the form is asking me for a declared value is that for the tax to be based off of?
thanks
wayne

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
declared value should stay under $250 or they get u on tax it is crazy all the stuff you must do to send FedEx or UPS and with FedEx you can choose to pay all taxes and duties in the states if you go over the $250

Jan 17, 2009
I don't know about sending by Fedex, but if you use the post office, they've charged me on the weight, not on the declared value. They didn't even bother opening the package. Most annoying, I had to go to Puerto Plata to pick up my package. They could not just send it to the Sosua post office because I had to pay the taxes and they can only call the taxes in Puerto Plata.

bubba153

Jan 24, 2009
Thank you ! I will look into the post office. I am used to sending stuff to the Turks & Caicos and they tax everything for as high as 33% so I wanted to make sure I didnt shoot myself in the foot
Thanks
Wayne

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
From my experience of how expensive it is to send things here and how long it takes to get here you might consider sending your friend money instead. Clothes and shoes aren't that expensive here.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I would not be sooo concerned about customs taxes, when sending clothes, as I would about shipping costs.

First, let us be reminded that you are not to send "used" clothes into the DR.
That's generally meant for commercial quantities however.

In your case, I think you ought to try to find some tourists which will travel to the DR and ask them to take an extra suit case of clothes along for your friends here. I would reckon that most would be sympathetic to your cause.

The only other economically viable way to send clothes here I'd know, would be to send them via a mail forwarder like TransExpress (google it). However your friends would have to open an account with Vimenpac (our local Western Union franchisee) and pay about USD 3.00 per Lb.
These companies handle all the customs clearing and generally manage to bring things thru for no or little tax.

... J-D.