healthcare and car, motorcycle insurance

1judith

Feb 9, 2008
Hi everybody
I would like to ask some information about health insurance, car or motorcycle insurance.
How much is cost, what kind of private clinics are there. Are they any good. We are living Canada next week, and we are planning on staying in the D.R. for a year. Any information about living, shopping or what to look out for would be helpful. We are moving to Sosua, We will need a car, how much is to buy a decent car, nothing fancy.

Nov 25, 2008
if your leaving Canada next week, you sure are leaving the most important for last, BASIC INFORMATION
too many question too little time,
health ins. range from $1000-1500 per person per month [$35US] depending on your health broker, you DON'T want to drive a motorcycle in Sosua or any place in the DR if your not accustomed to driving the Dominican way, clinics in Sosua I don't know, used car range from $250,000 [$7,000US]
Hope this helps and read on the other forums

good luck

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
My wife has insurance with Humano and it covers almost everything, it is about $20 a month. The clinic we go to here in Santiago is HOMS, and it is more like a 5 star hotel than a hospital, the doctors working there are from Cubans to Puerto Ricans to Mexicans, and Dominicans of course. Car prices are about 50% more than in Canada.

1judith

Feb 9, 2008
Thank you for the information
We covered for health insurance till June, from the company I worked for. And I will have an option to renew with them, but this blog is such a big help with asking questions from people who already living in the D.R. and can give useful information. I will use this blog when we'll be down there, because I know we have a lot to learn.
Thanks again
Judith

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Judith,
make sure that your company's health insurance really covers the DR, would be surpriced that such as a long term insurance exists.
the ARS Humano here is good in coverage, they start with their cheap plans on around 700 pesos per person per month($20.-US), i have with them the Premium plan and pay around 2.600.- pesos per monh for that. rates for used cars are going all the way from 80.000.- pesos to 500.000.- pesos, it just depends what you name 'decent/reasonable/neccessary aso'. car insurance always depends in value/brand/year of the insured car. as an example, i drive myself a simple Honda Accord 1998, basic insurance renewed 2 weeks ago, 5.300.- pesos per year(last year ben half of that, lol).
aking such Q's now just one week before you leave your country to spend a whole year over here sounds a bit weird to me, looks like you did not research much or planned a lot before you decided to 'move'.
take care and good luck
Mike

Reactions: mike l

1judith

Feb 9, 2008
Thank you all for the information. It's like a tradition for us, I mean not to plan to much, just do it.
We left our country in Europe 22years ago, on a moments notice. My husband get a passport and we were out of the country in 2 hours with 2 bags of clothes, 20 dollar and a 4 years old daughter.
We are in Canada for 20 years now, raised 2 kids and now we just ready for a change again. We are a lot better off this time than 22 years ago. We were down in the D.R. last year on a vacation and fell in love with the country.
All the people on this blog are very nice and helpful, so that is why I'm asking these questions.
Thank again
Judith

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank you all for the information. It's like a tradition for us, I mean not to plan to much, just do it.
We left our country in Europe 22years ago, on a moments notice. My husband get a passport and we were out of the country in 2 hours with 2 bags of clothes, 20 dollar and a 4 years old daughter.
We are in Canada for 20 years now, raised 2 kids and now we just ready for a change again. We are a lot better off this time than 22 years ago. We were down in the D.R. last year on a vacation and fell in love with the country.
All the people on this blog are very nice and helpful, so that is why I'm asking these questions.
Thank again
Judith

Please take the time to research the threads using the search function as there are many helpful topics which I'm sure you find useful. You guys sound adaptable and pleasant, a good combination for living here in the DR assuming of course you have an established income.

good luck