Neighbours constructing a partition wall

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi,

I, also, posted this question in the legal section, but I'm not sure if it is a legal one or not. Basically, a while ago (approx 6 months) our neighbours told us that they would be constructing a partition wall. They've starting building the wall today and have asked my husband, only two days ago, if he could contribute to half the cost.

We are in no position to contribute at the moment, but my question is, do we have a legal responsibility to pay for half, if it's not anything we agreed to do?

Many thanks,

Tish

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm no lawyer but I don't see how they have a leg to stand on. Not only that they certainly have gall starting the construction and then asking you to contribute.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Hi,

I, also, posted this question in the legal section, but I'm not sure if it is a legal one or not. Basically, a while ago (approx 6 months) our neighbours told us that they would be constructing a partition wall. They've starting building the wall today and have asked my husband, only two days ago, if he could contribute to half the cost.

We are in no position to contribute at the moment, but my question is, do we have a legal responsibility to pay for half, if it's not anything we agreed to do?

Many thanks,

Tish

The answer is NO NO NO, if they want a partition wall they need to pay for it.

Tell them that you don't want a partition wall, because it looks ugly, but if they want to build it they will have to pay for themselves.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Tell them that you don't want a partition wall, because it looks ugly...

So funny. Sounds like we don't have any legal responsibilities. I've calmed down now. I just want to avoid any future legal claims about it. Life's full of surprises here.

Thanks for your responses!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The answer is NO NO NO, if they want a partition wall they need to pay for it.

Tell them that you don't want a partition wall, because it looks ugly, but if they want to build it they will have to pay for themselves.

It looks ugly? For me it looks safe! When I bought my house in Santiago the fens in the back yard was only six cement block high, I turned it down and build a new one but this time I went up to fourteen blocks.

JJ

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
It looks ugly? For me it looks safe! When I bought my house in Santiago the fens in the back yard was only six cement block high, I turned it down and build a new one but this time I went up to fourteen blocks.

JJ

Bachata the "It looks ugly part of my statement" it's just a polite way to tell their neighbor that they're not going to contribute a single penny to the building of the WALL.

A wall won't stop nobody for breaking in if they wan to.