I got the Crabs in Sosua !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Unbelievable !

I am driving down Pedro Clisante and see these two beauties.

I pull over and decide to take them home.

After paying only $RD 700 for both I thought i was getting a deal.

I took them home and after a few beers I steamed them!

I bought a cracker but the shell was just too tough and I could not crack the shells so I through them out.

I was wondering if you can purchase jumbo lump crabmeat in POP or even Alaskan King Crab?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Unbelievable !

I bought a cracker but the shell was just too tough and I could not crack the shells so I through them out.

I was wondering if you can purchase jumbo lump crabmeat in POP or even Alaskan King Crab?

Alaskan crab at chef pepper in SD...1000 pesos a pound.
bob

Mar 2, 2008
Mike,

I'm not sure crackers will do the job.

Sometimes you have to beat them to get the results you were looking for.

Of course, a good soaking in boiling butter also softens them up. Perhaps you should try using the butter method, and then apply a sound beating.

At 700 pesos a pop, it's probably worth a try.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
have mercy! for a moment there i thought you meant the crabs... err... down there...
and the location fits!
:)

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
Originally Posted by dv8
have mercy! for a moment there i thought you meant the crabs... err... down there...
and the location fits!
:)

me too...thought you had been shopping in the 'bargain basement'!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A question for the OP-do you live in the DR?

If so, wouldn't it would be easier, more cost effective and more fun to go fish for your own seafood instead of paying 700 pesos for two crabs? How big were they?

That's how we do it in Puerto Rico-if we decide we want crabs we grab the traps and go get them ourselves. Same if we want fish-we grab the fishing poles, throw the beer in the cooler and head on out.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Unbelievable !

Miguelito: (my mom still calls me that) lol

You have alot to learn. Take it from a true seafood lover. You threw away good money!!!!! 700RD for 2?

Wasn't King Crab legs by your own quote.

Can't be snow crab.

Can't be Maryland (Baltimore) crabs.

Dungeon crab, maybe

Jueyes, maybe

There is a science in handling crabs. There are males and females. Females have the best meat. lol but true. I can tell you how to tell the difference. Just ask!

As far as the shell was too hard, 700rd, that sucker will be eaten.

Con limon y unas Presidentes: PRICELESS

Maybe there is something I do not know about Dominican crabs, lol , correct me if I am wrong.

Mike, I like your sense of humor. Lost your beers and the crabs got the best of you.

Crabs, you had me thinking STD!!!:cheeky::cheeky:

Reactions: Berzin

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
A question for the OP-do you live in the DR?

If so, wouldn't it would be easier, more cost effective and more fun to go fish for your own seafood instead of paying 700 pesos for two crabs? How big were they?

That's how we do it in Puerto Rico-if we decide we want crabs we grab the traps and go get them ourselves. Same if we want fish-we grab the fishing poles, throw the beer in the cooler and head on out.

I do live in the DR and spent several years cruising the waters of the Bahamas diving for lobster and fishing but that was in my 20's.

The water is too rough here and after a bad auto accident I am not as mobile as i once was so I just purchase my seafood but there is nothing like pulling in a nassau grouper for dinner.

These were the Dungeness variety and if I overpaid tuff beans.

What I am looking for are Alaskan King Crab because Florida Stone crabs are not available here unless someone knows different.

I live in Sosua and have no intention of heading to the capitol but one of my employees could ship some on the bus and i might go that route if there are no alskan king crab legs available in POP

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
lololol...my mind went completely somewhere else. "i see these two beauties" and got a deal for 700...well...you KNOW what i was thinking lol

Anyhoo...We use nut crackers back home for lobster and crabs. BUt crab shells are usually harder and thicker than lobster...so a small hammer is good for the initial crack...and then use the nutcrackers.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
lololol...my mind went completely somewhere else. "i see these two beauties" and got a deal for 700...well...you KNOW what i was thinking lol

Anyhoo...We use nut crackers back home for lobster and crabs. BUt crab shells are usually harder and thicker than lobster...so a small hammer is good for the initial crack...and then use the nutcrackers.

I don't have a hammer but i broke two bowls trying to smash the claws

If I had a Hammer

YouTube - if i had a hammer - peter paul and mary

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Watch what the birds here do with the small landcrabs and extrapolate. The birds will either drop the crab on a rock or sometimes even drop a stone on the crab. So all you need with a large crab is........a large rock.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Watch what the birds here do with the small landcrabs and extrapolate. The birds will either drop the crab on a rock or sometimes even drop a stone on the crab. So all you need with a large crab is........a large rock.

...or make friends with a large bird and share the crab!

;)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Luckily the guy selling the crab also had some live lobster so i just gave up and ate those