Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price smart

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Price smart

so i see in the DR they have 2 Price Smart locations
    how are the stores and they seem to be like a sams store or costco store
    that we have in the states
    do a lot of people on the DR1 Forums shop at the stores and how do you like them
    and do they have good prices like on bedrooms and washers and dryers
    and tires and all that good stuff like dishes and stuff i would need to set up a house when we move to the DR

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam's with a Dominican twist. Good place to buy in bulk. I bought two beds from there, better quality for equal $$$ as other stores.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

how about house hold goods like sofas and stoves and microwaves all the fun stuff

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

House hold goods like sofas and stoves are limited and the Santo Domingo store is larger and better stocked tham Santiago.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francoisatl View Post
    so i see in the DR they have 2 Price Smart locations
    how are the stores and they seem to be like a sams store or costco store
    that we have in the states
    do a lot of people on the DR1 Forums shop at the stores and how do you like them
    and do they have good prices like on bedrooms and washers and dryers
    and tires and all that good stuff like dishes and stuff i would need to set up a house when we move to the DR
    they have all the good stuff,but twice as much in price as in US..Most shoppers here in SD at Price Smart,are upperclass Dominicans,who are well heeled...parking lot filled all the time with expensive cars,and shopping carts full...
    you can find same type of items in other stores here in SD for less money,and larger selection.Membership is about 700 pesos a year.
    bob.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

price smart doesnt have much in the way of home furnishings - more like practical stuff and tvs and food

I would go to rio san juan for furniture items unless im going to be corrected which i usually am

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    I would go to rio san juan for furniture items unless im going to be corrected which i usually am
    Better than being **MUTED!
    Last edited by Tamborista; 03-21-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: [-Mute Button-] Click!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jaguarbob;
    you can find same type of items in other stores here in SD for less money,and larger selection.Membership is about 700 pesos a year.
    bob.[/QUOTE]

I second that. PS not always cheaper. Least not on electronics. I bought the same Sharp microwave that PS was selling for DR$ 4500,00 in Ochoa for 3700. Do your home work before you spend $.
    Also, they are getting the goods dumped by Sam's (Member's Mark is the Sam's brand) and who knows from where else because of their consumable dates are already expired or it will in the very near future. So check the dates also!
    Well, you should do that in any DR store anyway...

The Hun

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If you know what your buying, then you can save money. Often I see stuff in the Santo Domingo Price Smart I do not see in other supermarkets.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Selection has improved over the last couple of years. Between Price Smart, Ochoa, La Sirena, and some other stores you will be able to find what you need. Electronics are still more here then the US, however some things are cheaper. I just bought a Poulan riding mower at PriceSmart for $1700 US including all tax. In the US the same model in Home Depot was $1900 + tax.
    If you shop wisely and spend some time checking prices you should do ok.

Bob K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast