Inconsiderate or incoherent?

rhino r

Jan 5, 2009
I've suffered through driving from Santiago to Santo Domingo before dawn twice lately and am wondering what you all think. Does everyone drive with their bright headlights on because they are inconsiderate of the risk they pose to fellow drivers or because they are incoherent of the danger they create for everybody? I especially enjoy the big trucks and busses with their ultra ruthless super halogen lights. Que dolor por la cabeza!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lights

... others do not have lights at all.
Guess they just do not care.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Because they don't know any better.

When they drive up behind you with their full beam on then overtake, now that aggravates me. I used to let them overtake, then sit behind them with my full beam on, give them a taste of their own medicine. After a while you begin to realize most of these types of drivers are brain donors and it's less stressful just letting them get on with it, rather than fight, you'll never win :)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
They don't give a d@mn, or just don't know there are 2 positions for the lights ;)
This is the reasons why I now avoid driving at night... I am very blinded by high beams...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Does everyone drive with their bright headlights on because they are inconsiderate of the risk they pose to fellow drivers or because they are incoherent of the danger they create for everybody?

fellow drivers? what fellow drivers? there are other drivers using the road? really? who knew? they are enemy, then! competition!
and in any case i see better with the long lights on!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most of it is plain ignorance and because many of the drivers are more than likely drunk at night.

Also, there is a certain amount of cultural permissivess that allows one to inconvenience others for personal motives without expecting to be chastised or ridiculed. This is a common motif throughout the culture here and sometimes can get some taking used to.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Also, there is a certain amount of cultural permissivess that allows one to inconvenience others for personal motives without expecting to be chastised or ridiculed. This is a common motif throughout the culture here and sometimes can get some taking used to.

How true is that!

Nov 25, 2008
reality is that since the highways are not lit I myself FULL blast my lights to avoid hitting dogs and other nocturnal creatures

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The "finger" works sometimes...
Or I angle my rearview mirror so that it throws it back at the idiot.

I used to have a million candle searchlight on my old GMC...that worked sometimes...

I have to agree with Robert's comments that many are effectively brain donors who have taken early admission...

HB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Most of it is plain ignorance and because many of the drivers are more than likely drunk at night.

thats what makes this country so great...do what you want to do...no one really cares,and....it is the Dominican Republic...thats how they drive,and there is a pecking order on the roads...all busses and guaguas and taxis have right of way,no matter what...then Dominicans in SUVs,then Dominicans in regular Hondas,,and then gringos in their cars..and as a Dominican driver once yelled at my friend Carl...if you dont like the way we drive,go home...then Carl gave him the finger,the Dominican man smild and cut him off again....oh well....and then of course,the motos and pasolas do whatever they want,until they lose an arm or leg...
bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

^^^Bingo^^^

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My lights are bigger than your lights

I struggled with this for a time and eventually got tired of being blinded. I went out and got the the bigggest blindest (sic) add on lights I could find. I do not run with them on all the time but its a rare event went the other guy does not dim his lights when he sees me coming. The other plus is that when there are no other cars approaching I turn night into day and feel much more secure on the highway. One other thing that drastically improves night driving is a super clean windshield inside and out. I carry a bottle of windex and a roll of paper towels.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Trouble with that strategy is, and this is something the so-called brain donors don't seem to get, is that blinding drivers of oncoming cars could be most hazardous to their own health.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Trouble with that strategy is, and this is something the so-called brain donors don't seem to get, is that blinding drivers of oncoming cars could be most hazardous to their own health.
Exactly.

I just look to the right edge of the road when a vehicle with high beams blasting approaches. I I flip the switch on my rear mirror when they are behind me.

I know for a fact there are a LOT more drunks on the road at night. Last thing I want to do is challenge a drunken self-proclaimed jefe with a gun over high beams.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don?t Get Mad,Get EVEN!

I subsribe to the above theory in most all Duminican cultural traits that pi$$ me off!
I went to "Musicarro" for my "LIGHTS" many years ago. I had four 500,000 candle power "Spots" mounted to the top of my van,and two "Floods" mounted on my "Defensa",(Another "Necesity" here!) I already had good "High Beams" on the van! I told the guys at "Musicarro" that I wanted to hear retinas burn when I "Hit The Lights"!!!!!!
Like others have noted above,I give the bastards a "chance"! If they don?t dim after I flash my brights,I "Up-The-Anti"! ......Actually, I just fire up all my lights when I drive at night! Makes me happy to know that I am PI$$ING off the duminicans!
Want to hear MY "SPEAKERS"???????Want to see ME drive? Want to see ME throw garbage out the window? Want to see ME park so close to you that you can?t get into your car?
What A Country!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sep 19, 2005
I know that the big trucks just probably have poorly mounted lights...not that they do it on purpose so much.

but those rich guys with the big SUVs put in all the lights they can and use them...because they are above all the rules...period

that said..going back and forth to Santiago all the times i did from Licey Al Medio, I can say that most drivers coming at me , turned their brights off when i flashed them...maybe 10 % turned them off on their own when they approached.

it makes sense not to blind the other guys because if he is blinded , he might just drive head onto into them!!!!

but like it has been said there is a huge lack of forethought in some macho dominicanos...beligerant fits.

as a renter i always was stuck with what i got for lights...I always wanted more candlepower!!!! even if just for those rainy nights .

heck i rented a car once that ONLY had high beams!! ha ha

bad bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I subsribe to the above theory in most all Duminican cultural traits that pi$$ me off!
I went to "Musicarro" for my "LIGHTS" many years ago. I had four 500,000 candle power "Spots" mounted to the top of my van,and two "Floods" mounted on my "Defensa",(Another "Necesity" here!) I already had good "High Beams" on the van! I told the guys at "Musicarro" that I wanted to hear retinas burn when I "Hit The Lights"!!!!!!
Like others have noted above,I give the bastards a "chance"! If they don?t dim after I flash my brights,I "Up-The-Anti"! ......Actually, I just fire up all my lights when I drive at night! Makes me happy to know that I am PI$$ING off the duminicans!
Want to hear MY "SPEAKERS"???????Want to see ME drive? Want to see ME throw garbage out the window? Want to see ME park so close to you that you can?t get into your car?
What A Country!!!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/88383-watch-what-you-say-gringo.html

Reactions: Bronxboy

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
What A Country!!!

a po' tu ya ere Dominicaaaano entonce! Y de pura cepa. :D :bunny:

Really I understand your frustration, however, I have come to the conclusion that even paying back with the same money they hand out, there is no winning possible... it's like a good ol' nuclear war or tic-tac-toe.

... J-D.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Wish That The "USA" Would Use The "DR" As A.....

...Neutron Bomb test range!
This would be a great place with no people!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
When somebody is driving against you with the bright lights, flick your bright lights a couple of times, 85% of the times they would lower their lights until you're not in their light range.