Soundproofing Materials

SantoRob

Dec 16, 2007
Hello All,

I am currently trying to soundproof a room in my apartment in Gazcue. I am trying unsuccessfully to locate "drop" ceiling tiles. Can anyone recommend a hardware store where I could buy drop down ceiling tiles. Also, if anyone could recommend a carpet store near Gazcue, I was thinking of covering walls with carpet to further reduce the noise. Any other suggestions on how to soundproof a room with materials that can be obtained in the DR would be most appreciated.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Last year, I was frantic about soundproofing part of my house... It was simply way too noisy... But I just opted for moving out, and renting it to someone else ! Worked perfect :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Quiet Place

@ squat
... and in what country do you now live......?:cheeky:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
@ squat
... and in what country do you now live......?:cheeky:
in a nice, secluded beach area, that only gets a bit noisy during Semana Santa, and some long week-ends... Priceless !!!
:) :) :)

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Carpeting is not the best idea. It will get damp from the humidity, or wick water from a wet floor and become moldy in no time.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
i assume the room you are trying to soundproof has doors and windows. They are the source of noise penetration, not the walls, floors and ceilings. The best for windows will be to replace them with glass blocks but you won't be able to ventilate anymore. Americana and OchoA have them. The doors on the other hand need to stay operational therefore I would buy the thickest velvet curtains you can find. Try the large material store by Herrera.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get BIGGER SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time you leave your place,point the speakers out the window,and put on "Classical" music as loud as you can!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

novice

Feb 23, 2009
First of all you gotta come up w what kind of noise you want to keep in/out. Are you trying to create a music studio?

For the walls I strongly suggest drywall. You can put 2-3 sheets on top of each other. I understand the construction in Dominican is different. But you can build some frame and install soundproofing inside the frame. Install 2 layers of drywall and you got a studio efficient sound proof. You should install about 3/8 spacers of rubbers between the frame track and concrete/different material. Believe me CARPET is not SOUNDPROOFING.

As for the drop in ceiling tiles... They are not considered soundproof in construction unless you do buy soundproofing tiles. Maybe you should consider reinforcing the T-Bar Ceiling... and go w drywall again. Make sure you soundproof the space above the Tbar ceiling. And CAREFUL w lights in the ceiling. The lights cannot touch any soundproof material.

I understand my suggestions are not "cheap". But I can guarantee they work.

Also if you have questions let me know. I do have a great experience in these matters.

Or if you prefer... back in the old days... they used to soundproof w newspaper.