Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ?? on moving there from the u.s

We are in our late 40's and want to leave America. Things are getting bad here! We are deciding tween D.R. and Panama. Are their any Americans living there that can tell us the pros and cons of living in the D.R. Everyone we know is telling us to go to Panama. We are thinking of Sosua and buying a small home and just living simple. We are go-getters, not rich.. leaving here to live comfortably and safe there or Panama.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you been in the DR? or Panama? you should first check it out to see if you like it, thousands of Americans have settled in the DR
    what are you going to do with you free time? all these things you should check into before making a decision
    personally I have been here over 20 years, been to Panama,wouldn't change it

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We are here full time, and have not looked back for a second. Last year at a "town hall meeting" here in Sosua the US ambassador said that there were over 100,000 US citizens living here part or full time.
    You should come visit first. If you decide that the DR is correct for you make sure you come with enough $$ to live on. Making a living here is hard and the salaries are not anywhere near what you are used to.
    There is lots of good information on this board. Use the Search link to find many of your answers.
    Feel free to PM me if you want to.

Bob K

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope before you make a move such as this you take the time and make the effort to learn enough about your options to make a decision based on where you want to GO, rather than that you simply want to ESCAPE. A person who simply escapes, and doesn't really know where he is going is essentially a fugitive, and there are enough of those in the DR.

"Things are getting bad here"? That could mean a lot of different things, but don't be surprised if you discover that many of the very things you want to leave behind are just as present in the DR, Panama, or anywhere else for that matter. It is becoming a smaller and smaller world.

I am also a U.S. citizen, and will be moving to the DR in 2011 for early retirement. I would say my decision to relocate there is based probably 90% on the things I like about the DR and 10% on the things I don't like about the US.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We moved here three years ago. My husband loves it, me, not so much. Things are bad at home, but there are not easy here either. You also need to think what you're going to do with your free time.

If I were you, I would not even plan a permanent move, but would go to both countries and live there for a while, then make your choice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree on the option to spend a time there before you make a final decision! Check at least one of the places for a time of minimum 6 months, perfect would be to check both. Then make your decision.

I live in DR and I love it, but it is not the "paradise" you see in travel reports. Live isnīt easy here either. You live very comfortable if you bring a lot of money, if not you will have to work hard for your money too. And things go different here, so that you will need good nerves.

Have you never considered Costa Rica? Itīs actually the safest and best-developing country in Latin America.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Come down for 6-12 months. Don't buy till your sure. Long term rentals in a american style condo complex, for 2 br, should be $1000, $1300 US. Top of the line 24/7 elect, all A/C etc. See if you can do it. It's a totally different life and nothing is easy. We live here full time and love it, but it's not for everyone. What you see on vacation and what it's like living here are not the same. PM us if you have any questions and we will try to help.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oriole100 View Post
    Come down for 6-12 months. Don't buy till your sure. Long term rentals in a american style condo complex, for 2 br, should be $1000, $1300 US.

I pay that for a modern 5000sf, 6br/6.5 house on a landscaped, fruit-treed, gated, walled acre in Jarabacoa...

Folks considering the Big Move should travel away from the tourist spots before they settle. There are a LOT of beautiful, clean, quiet, safe towns in the DR that are a LOT less expensive than the tourits areas.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Lived in Panama 9 years, here in the DR 2 years. My personal opinion is that Panama is much better than the DR. Infra structure is much better, cost of living is much less, 24/7 electricity, drinkable water, better medical services and a lot safer than the DR with a lot less poverty and less corruption.
    The best thing to do would be to visit both countries and then make up your mind.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Lived in Panama 9 years, here in the DR 2 years. My personal opinion is that Panama is much better than the DR. Infra structure is much better, cost of living is much less, 24/7 electricity, drinkable water, better medical services and a lot safer than the DR with a lot less poverty and less corruption.
    The best thing to do would be to visit both countries and then make up your mind.
    So why are you here?

Oh, you left out that Panama is MUCH hotter and humid...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast