SF01 Solar 'Protector' Security Floodlight With PIR/Motion Sensor

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience of this SF01 Solar 'Protector' Security Floodlight With PIR/Motion Sensor? The details can be found at Solar Illuminations ? Solar Security Floodlights (Motion Sensor)

My problem is that my large security lights which are 220v do not operate when I have no street power. Fortunately, the street power is usually on overnight but there are times when it is not and my whole yard area is then in complete darkness. In your opinion, would this type of light system (which sounds very reasonably priced) overcome me 'freaking out' at being home alone in the dark?

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
change the flood lights to low power consumption lights, get an inverter is your best option for constant power

We have 2 inverters with loads of batteries but was trying to think 'outside of the box' by having something independent just in case power is off so long that they fail too.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They look like a good idea Whirley. I think I've seen something similar in Price Smart Santiago, although not when I went last week.

You might be better off if you can source them there because if you were to buy those ones in the link, the shipping could be prohibitive due to the weight of the batteries inside them.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
They look like a good idea Whirley. I think I've seen something similar in Price Smart Santiago, although not when I went last week.

You might be better off if you can source them there because if you were to buy those ones in the link, the shipping could be prohibitive due to the weight of the batteries inside them.

The cost of the unit was $59.99 but the cost of the shipping to here was an additional $50 so I was rather hoping that someone coming here via Florida may bring me one.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We had a motion sensor light for outside the main gates of our house. Bought it here. It came on when there was no one outside and went off as soon as people approached. Dominican backwards!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We had a motion sensor light for outside the main gates of our house. Bought it here. It came on when there was no one outside and went off as soon as people approached. Dominican backwards!!!

That was what I was afraid of..... but just hoping that there might be one that would do what I desperately need.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
?

Did you read the last few lines of the descrription? This unit comes with a 10watt light bulb:ermm: Although it says it will illuminate a 30'x30' area it holds no claim to how bright that area will be.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Did you read the last few lines of the descrription? This unit comes with a 10watt light bulb:ermm: Although it says it will illuminate a 30'x30' area it holds no claim to how bright that area will be.

As long as it is brighter than pitch dark, I would be happy.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Last edited by a moderator:

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Whirleybird,

From previous posts I believe you may live in Sabaneta. If you do you may want to look in the ferreteria opposite the petrol station. I have seen them selling something similar there.

Adrian.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird,

From previous posts I believe you may live in Sabaneta. If you do you may want to look in the ferreteria opposite the petrol station. I have seen them selling something similar there.

Adrian.

Well, would be fantastic to be able to get what I need that close to home and, blow me, I was in there this afternoon for some bits and pieces, but unlike the men I do not browse in those places but just go in and out with what I need!!! I will certainly make another trip there in the next few days and find out if they have something to fit my needs.... many thanks.