Best way to convert Canadian Dollar to D.R Peso?

Bugstyvy

Mar 16, 2008
I am in Canada and will be converting money in the D.R, Should I bring Canadian Dollar or Convert it to U.S before I come?

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Your best bet it to use an ATM and withdraw cash here. You get the best exchange rate even though your bank may charge an international fee for this. Bring a few US dollars for the beginning of your trip for purchasing a drink when you land etc, and to tip if you use a porter at the airport.
Have a great time while you are here

A

apostropheman

I am in Canada and will be converting money in the D.R, Should I bring Canadian Dollar or Convert it to U.S before I come?
I would advise against bringing CAD to the DR. I usually bring some USD and take the rest from my bank accounts at ATMs. This will give you the best rates and minimize your exposure to risk.

I also have more than one ATM card and have multiple accounts that I can access with ATM cards just in case I have difficulty with a particular card.

For example my main account is only used to transfer to my travel accounts via the internet. Before I go to the bank in the DR I go online and transfer enough to cover what I want to withdraw. I do this for each time I am going to withraw in the DR, however many times that might be.

Another poster recently offered the same advice although I can't recall who it was. :surprised ybonabeach also has it right :D

You should also advise you bank and credit card providers that you will be in the DR so that they do not place a hold on your accounts.

Last edited:

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
When I was back to Canada for a few days earlier this year I went and opened an account at the Bank of Nova Scotia specifically for being here, for Scotia isn't my regular bank. Then I email transfer money as needed from my main accounts on the internet to this new account. Reason for the Scotia bank is that they have a bank in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete which is convenient for me.....and no charge for withdrawals at these ATMs. The present limit for a withdrawal is $10,000RD. So I guess it depends on who you bank with presently and if this idea is worth it to you.

I also asked when setting this up about having to notify them about being in the DR for example using a bank ATM card, and was told this is unecessary. But as stated above, it is always best to notify about your CC so you don't get denied a transaction.

Last edited:

Bugstyvy

Mar 16, 2008
Thanks everyone for the advice!!!
I have a few bank accounts, TD, Scotia, BMO
What would give me the least problems at an ATM? IYO

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
I would definitely bring another ATM card too.
But if you want to avoid paying any banking charges, then you need to use a Scotia card at a Scotia bank. Even if you're bank tells you that you pay no fee for ATM withdrawals, there can be an axillary fee by the banking machine bank/company.