compost toilet & Rebar

claiborne59

Mar 22, 2009
We are looking to buy compost toilets for our eco-resort in Samana, do you know anywhere that sells them?
Also looking for a good deal on rebar, cement and nylon fibers for the cement for the eco monolithic domes we are building, do you know of a good source?
Thanks
Michele

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
We are looking to buy compost toilets for our eco-resort in Samana, do you know anywhere that sells them?
Also looking for a good deal on rebar, cement and nylon fibers for the cement for the eco monolithic domes we are building, do you know of a good source?
Thanks
Michele

Bit of topic (sorry)

Have you looked into www.eco-tecnologia.com

bouilding with pet bottles???

sorry to have highjacked your thread

Greetings

Johan

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Cool, I grew up on an Eco Resort back in the 50's

Back then we called it a Farm....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm interested in finding out if composting toilets are used here in the DR. If not the challenge will be finding out how much Aduanas will charge you to import them.

For other building materials I have a Dominican friend who can get you the best prices available on the island, however he doesn't speak any English. Also, I am a civil engineer by trade and do contracting as well and do "design build" projects and true efficient "cost plus" here in the DR if you are interested - send me a pm.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure it can be done from scratch using readily available materials.

Would also be interested in hearing more about your project. :)

claiborne59

Mar 22, 2009
Hi Chip,
Would be very interested, thanks for your reply. Sadly though we are on a very low budget of DIY, but if you are interested to come and see how we are building domes it may be of help to you in your business.
As for the materials, fantastic we are needing a good price. We know some hardware places close by but expensive. Where is your friend based? We need for our first dome: 64 bags of cement, (8 yards of small aggregate/ or very course sand) which we may have to get locally, 1,250 pounds of rebar and bags of polypropylene fibers to mix with cement, elastomeric coating if sold in DR, Arched door and of course a composting toilet. I know that Santiago was considering composting toilets to solve their sewage problem but as yet still have not found a source.

We will eventually make 10 units. Look forward to hearing from you

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi Chip,
Would be very interested, thanks for your reply. Sadly though we are on a very low budget of DIY, but if you are interested to come and see how we are building domes it may be of help to you in your business.
As for the materials, fantastic we are needing a good price. We know some hardware places close by but expensive. Where is your friend based? We need for our first dome: 64 bags of cement, (8 yards of small aggregate/ or very course sand) which we may have to get locally, 1,250 pounds of rebar and bags of polypropylene fibers to mix with cement, elastomeric coating if sold in DR, Arched door and of course a composting toilet. I know that Santiago was considering composting toilets to solve their sewage problem but as yet still have not found a source.

We will eventually make 10 units. Look forward to hearing from you

Your welcome to call my friend Anjito at 829-964-1507. He works all over the island and speaks kreyol (helps him get cheap local labor and ensure that there is no communication problem) and I recommend him as a maestro. He lives here in Santiago. He also charges Dominican prices to anyone and I guarantee that you can find no one who will do a better job and at a cheaper price. He can also do a complete accurate estimate of costs including the materials and labor. All I ask is that if you don't use him as a maestro to give him a nominal amount for the trouble to do the estimate, as he travels to the various ferreterias here in Santiago to get the best prices. You will more than likely find out that the prices here in Santiago are the best in the North and may be worthwhile to pay the shipping charges to have it shipped there - which in fact the big ferreterias do all of the time.

claiborne59

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks so much for your help and excuse my ignorance, but do you mean 'oversea the job' as the maestro? If there was someone I could really truly trust I could perhaps have some more domes built while I was not there, but my experience in having things done while not present has been hopeless. Of course if he finds the material for us at a much better price we would pay him for his time. - we could at least get the rebar & cement bags, fiber and possibly door in our jeep and drive it back. We are tight for time for this first dome and fly into POP April 28th and only have 2 weeks to complete it, thats why Im trying to find all the materials first. Could pick up the material first so will indeed call him, but does he speak any English? My spanish is poor.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks so much for your help and excuse my ignorance, but do you mean 'oversea the job' as the maestro? If there was someone I could really truly trust I could perhaps have some more domes built while I was not there, but my experience in having things done while not present has been hopeless. Of course if he finds the material for us at a much better price we would pay him for his time. - we could at least get the rebar & cement bags, fiber and possibly door in our jeep and drive it back. We are tight for time for this first dome and fly into POP April 28th and only have 2 weeks to complete it, thats why Im trying to find all the materials first. Could pick up the material first so will indeed call him, but does he speak any English? My spanish is poor.

Anjito is a construction supervisor and worked for American missionaries all over the DR and Haiti building churches to their specs so he understand doing thing the right way and not half arse. Unfortunately he doesn't speak a lot of English but when it comes to construction, I don't know that it would matter.

If you have plans you can forward them to me and I'll get them to him or if you have an extensive list of materials he can get prices for you. BTW, what are you paying local laborers? I ask because with Anjito obviously there won't be any bs about the locals trying to rip off the local gringo - they either accept the normal rate or someone else will be brought in.

claiborne59

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks again, I will send you the full list tomorrow, this would be fantastic if he can work out the prices and if he could please break down and list prices for each item and how much it would be to truck it all to Samana or if we should only price items he feels we could get into a 4 door jeep.

As for his overseeing I do have a man who cares for the land while I am away and works for me and oversees projects and works himself, but he is no construction worker, a great handiman and is willing to do most things, but needs overseeing himself by us. I would love a qualified worker but I really dont feel my budget will stretch to that and pay my usual man who is the guy of the community there and I would not wish to upset him or the people there as the main idea was to involve the community. Of course they try and take advantage and I try and be fair but firm about paying the local rate as well as help the community with everything I can such as our community organic vegetable garden and help the local school and hopefully show them how to build affordable housing! That is yet to be proved!

Once again I appreciate your help in this project and if either of you were interested in coming to see this dome being built, I have a tent to offer until we get some domes built. If your friend would like to tell me how much he charges for his services
a. getting the material quoted and bought
b. weekly rate of working on the project
Best wishes Michele Healing Arts International > Home

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chip & Michele, I think at this point you need to take your exchange on Chip's & Anjito's possible roles in the project to email or PM. Otherwise it becomes one long free ad for Chip and Anjito.

Thanks,
Keith R
Environment Forum moderator