Coffee Plantations?

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
I'm looking for information on visiting a coffee plantation in the DR. Has anyone ever been? I've looked through a lot of threads, but so far haven't come across anything except that there is one somewhere outside of Santiago, on the way to Luperon.

I'm looking for some directions and whether they are open to the public for tours, to buy coffee, etc..

Also, where is Cafe Santo Domingo made?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"La Ruta del Cafe" near Salcedo, a project for local farmers supported by Italian NGO UCODEP organises tours of the plantations with local guides, easy treks in the countryside, a small "coffee museum", good home cooking.
Tel: 809 577 1475
E-mail: rutadelcafe@jamao.com

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Coffee Plantations

Thanks Chirimoya - I'll email them now. I appreciate the information.

Also, to clarify my original question regarding Cafe Santo Domingo - I realize it's packaged in SDQ but was wondering if anyone knows what plantation(s) they get the beans from. It's my favorite coffee.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Belarminio Ramirez & Hns., the Monte Alto coffee processor in Jarabacoa, has tours, including a small plot of coffee on the grounds. Monte Alto has an excellent organic coffee brand that ships all over the world.

Generally, the larger plantations are very remote, high in the mountains (over 4200' where coffee grows best), and difficult to get to.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All of the above EXCEPT the comment that Santo Domingo is great coffee....HAHA

Try the coffee from Jarabacoa or the Melo coffee from Neiba, THEN you will know good coffee!!!

HB