What restaurants have the best lobster? steaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberpropr

Mar 6, 2009
I love lobsters and steaks. Any advice where in Sosua or Cabarete is the best place to eat them.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The best lobster I ever had was at Altantic Blue but last time I was in town they looked out of business? I guess not as many people felt the same way as I did about their food. LOL.

As far as steaks go the quality of beef in the DR is not even close to what I find in the states. The feed given to the cows produces less marbling in the meat.

The best steaks I have ever had in the DR were USDA steaks which were flown in.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding good seafood in Sosua/Cabarete but don't expect to find a good steak unless its being flown in your you bring it in yourself.

Just my opinion of course.

Jan 17, 2009
In Cabarete, try Casa del Pescador, you can pick your own live lobster. Also, la Casita de Papi.

As to steaks, you can find decent steaks at Ali's Surf Camp (very thin but large steak, and pretty good), or at Los Locos de Enfrente. Both restaurants are off the beach. Ali's Surf Camp is at the end of Procab. Los Locos de Enfrente on the first block of the Callejon de la Loma (street right across from Ocean Dream, closed on Wednesdays).

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I agree with Ex-pat....
Definitely Papi's (La Casita) for either shrimp or lobster. Papi's are famous for their shrimp skillets absolutely loaded with large shrimp in their garlic and tarragon cream sauce. Certainly the best value on the beach considering the quality and the amount. The lobster is also available in the same sauce but I tend to stick with the shrimp.
Los Locos del Frente is the best place in town for steak. Very reasonably priced, but there is only one type of steak. Always tender and char grilled. They also have the best pork chops in town, big thick juicy chops, there is nowhere else in the area where you can get pork chops like theirs. The only thing is you usually need to get there relatively early as the place is small and fills fast. They also run out of various things early....just about everytime I have gone after 8.00pm they have ran out of something, usually the pork chops....also, the service can be terrible at times, definitely a place for the food, not the service, but it also depends on the night. Just don't let the crazy chef serve you!! Haha. It is actually one of my favourite restaurants off the beach.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The Waterfront in Sosua has a wonderful filet mignon. Very large, very tender and around 500 pesos. Best we have had in the area.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
if you want to go for a drive and have an awesome tenderloin, go up the road to moca, in la cumbre to a place called cafeto.....awesome view, and the best steak i have had in the dr.....but go during the early afternoon, as driving that road at night is dangerous....oh and its about 350rd with the trimmings

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
well i know the OP wants recommendations for the north coast....but in my opinion the best lobster i have had on the island was a small restaurant [i cant recall the name forgive me] in Bavaro right on the beach. the local fishermen make all the catches there throughout the day and fresh seafood is available on a daily basis. i wish i could give you a name....let me see what I can find out.
Second best seafood and steaks at a hotel in Salinas, Bani with the windmills on it [i think its called Hotel Salinas?] very good but very expensive too. the seafood/chicken/meat platter to feed 4 ran me about $2400 RD, yikes! but very delicious! :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
well i know the OP wants recommendations for the north coast....but in my opinion the best lobster i have had on the island was a small restaurant [i cant recall the name forgive me] in Bavaro right on the beach. the local fishermen make all the catches there throughout the day and fresh seafood is available on a daily basis. i wish i could give you a name....let me see what I can find out.
/QUOTE]

Captain Cook?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hmmmm....does Captain Cook have a BIG kitchen that you can observe everyone cooking and preparing the food? if so then this must be it....right on the beach and next to some vendors/shops too....
I am not sure if I stayed at El Cortecito Hotel....quite possible since I was only there for a night and it was across the street [one main street that i remember].
my memory seems to be failing me as of late... :(

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
hmmmm....does Captain Cook have a BIG kitchen that you can observe everyone cooking and preparing the food? if so then this must be it....right on the beach and next to some vendors/shops too....
I am not sure if I stayed at El Cortecito Hotel....quite possible since I was only there for a night and it was across the street [one main street that i remember].
my memory seems to be failing me as of late... :(

That's it!!! You can pick your own lobster, mmmmmmmmmmmm

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Captain cook

That's it!!! You can pick your own lobster, mmmmmmmmmmmm

well there you have it OP, special thanks to Bronxboy for coming through and helping me remember the name of this restaurant!
Again, I know this is not on the north coast as you requested....but in my opinion, best tasting seafood [fresh catches daily] on the island is here in Bavaro. :bunny:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
well there you have it OP, special thanks to Bronxboy for coming through and helping me remember the name of this restaurant!
Again, I know this is not on the north coast as you requested....but in my opinion, best tasting seafood [fresh catches daily] on the island is here in Bavaro. :bunny:

I actually saw the divers come back to shore with the fresh goods!!!!!

He had lobsters, crabs, fish, etc.

I wonder if the restaurant has to kickback some bucks to the government.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Lol

I actually saw the divers come back to shore with the fresh goods!!!!!

He had lobsters, crabs, fish, etc.

I wonder if the restaurant has to kickback some bucks to the government.

i'm sure they're wetting someone's hand [pun intended]
the divers do a great job and fresh goods indeed!
my highlight of my stay was having a meal with the divers, rather than go back to Captain Cook to eat, I hung out with the divers on the beach and cooked up some fresh fish. I bought the beers for everyone! :)

cyberpropr

Mar 6, 2009

Thanks all. How long takes from Sosua to Bavaro?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Lobsters from the DR are illegal to catch, BTW, in April, with some caveats (of course!).

Status
Not open for further replies.