Watch what you say, gringo!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A cautionary tale? A Ukrainian journalist has been deported "for denigrating the country in Russian":

Migraci?n repatria periodista Ucrania - ElNacional.com.do

Some of her claims:
Tremendous hurricanes hit the country each year and when this happens groups of black Haitians go up the mountains with tons of gold, money and credit cards they have stolen from tourists who leave their hotels.

She also says that tourists cannot leave the hotels, because hungry Haitians are waiting outside, who don't know any other type of work other than stealing from tourists, which they do with large machetes.

All Dominicans have pistols, and of course will not leave their homes without them, and they drive while drunk, of course, because they are never sober, and they don't know how to drive their cars, and they all bought their licences or don't have a licence in the first place.

Dominicans have these guns to shoot police if they try to arrest them, or to kill tourists if they have a car accident with them.

Also, if tourists are involved in a car accident they are kept in jail for three months and have to pay a large sum of money to be let out.

La comunicadora dice, en un art?culo publicado en la pen?ltima p?gina de la ?ltima publicaci?n, que en el pa?s ocurren huracanes tremendos cada a?o y que cuando ?stos pasan, ?grupos de haitianos negros? suben a las monta?as con toneladas de oro, dinero y tarjetas de cr?dito robadas a los turistas que salen de los hoteles.

Tambi?n dice que no se puede salir de los hoteles, porque afuera est?n esperando haitianos con hambre, que no saben otro tipo de trabajo que no sea robar a los turistas y que lo hacen usando machetes grandes.

?Todos los dominicanos tienen pistolas, claro, ning?n dominicano nunca va a salir fuera de la casa sin pistola y planean manejar el veh?culo borracho, claro, porque nunca est?n sobrios, y no saben manejar los veh?culos y todos compran sus licencias de conducir o no las tienen?, dice.

La nota indica que el peri?dico sostiene que los dominicanos necesitan la pistola para disparar a los polic?as cuando ?stos intentan detenerlos por alguna infracci?n, o para matar a los turistas cuando por alguna casualidad chocan sus veh?culos.

Asimimso, que los turistas son detenidos dos o tres meses por los polic?as cuando se ven involucrados en un accidente de tr?nsito, por lo que tienen que regalar alguna cantidad de dinero para que los dejen salir.

The article ends by saying she was also in the country illegally.

Mar 2, 2008
Chiri,

What exactly was considered denigrating about her reports?

Aside from the disparaging remarks she made regarding Haitians, what she reported was a fairly accurate depiction of everyday life in the DR, although perhaps laced with a touch of hyperbole.

Mar 2, 2008
"While you, on the other hand, post with a touch of understatement - LOL."

Absolutely correct. ;)

I like your style, and I'm happy to see at least someone knows the meaning of hyperbole!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
"While you, on the other hand, post with a touch of understatement - LOL."

Absolutely correct. ;)

I like your style, and I'm happy to see at least someone knows the meaning of hyperbole!

Yes, it's a math term - sort of like an arch drawn on graph paper - LOL.

Gregg
.P.S. - As we get more into technical terms; I know that it's actually a hyperbola - LOL - in case we have any mathematicians here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Parabola?

Catcher, watch out for "la camiona"! ;)

My very point was that it is not a million miles off what is sometimes posted on DR1, except perhaps for the bits about the marauding Haitian hordes.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wtf?

Chiri,

What exactly was considered denigrating about her reports?

Aside from the disparaging remarks she made regarding Haitians, what she reported was a fairly accurate depiction of everyday life in the DR, although perhaps laced with a touch of hyperbole.
Hmm.... how can I put this...

Let's see, if you remove the very thing that makes it offensive, then it will not be offensive. But, if you remove the very thing that makes it offensive, then you are not interpreting her message as she wanted for it to be interpreted.

This is similar to those people that love to say that all humans and all countries are the same. Yes, if you ignore the differences, then we are all the same, but such people with such view of the world are not seeing the world for what it is.

Capice?

-NALs

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Do you have a link to the original article? Maybe they misunderstood the meaning of it? It sounds pretty silly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not the article in Russian, no. It is possible that it was an attempt at humour but it says in the El Nacional article that tourists who read the article had reported it. The name of the publication is given as MOCT Bavaro - not sure if it is available online though.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I tried searching google in Russian for articles about DR, but have not found anything besides tourism advertisements and weather information. It would be interesting to read Russian version of it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It says the law which Larysa Naser 'contravened' was Ley 541-1969 which is the Ley Org?nica de Turismo. Appears that Sec of State for Tourism has right to 'Dirigir la propaganda oficial y promover y orientar la propaganda privada en materia de turismo, tanto en el pa?s como en el extranjero' which is pretty all-encompassing IF it also means controlling said material - P.26 here:

http://www.phlaw.com/pubs/gleg/sp/GLGTR%20-%20Guia%20Legal%20de%20Turismo%20en%20la%20Republica%20Dominicana.pdf

So tourists reported it to tour reps who reported it to Min of Tourism who are now in same building as Migracion?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
A cautionary tale? A Ukrainian journalist has been deported "for denigrating the country in Russian":

Migraci?n repatria periodista Ucrania - ElNacional.com.do

Some of her claims:
Tremendous hurricanes hit the country each year and when this happens groups of black Haitians go up the mountains with tons of gold, money and credit cards they have stolen from tourists who leave their hotels.

She also says that tourists cannot leave the hotels, because hungry Haitians are waiting outside, who don't know any other type of work other than stealing from tourists, which they do with large machetes.

All Dominicans have pistols, and of course will not leave their homes without them, and they drive while drunk, of course, because they are never sober, and they don't know how to drive their cars, and they all bought their licences or don't have a licence in the first place.

Dominicans have these guns to shoot police if they try to arrest them, or to kill tourists if they have a car accident with them.

Also, if tourists are involved in a car accident they are kept in jail for three months and have to pay a large sum of money to be let out.

The article ends by saying she was also in the country illegally.

No wonder she got deported to that freezer they call Ukraine, she not only slander all the People in the DR but also in Haiti.

The immigration department did a good job, because not all Dominican drink alcohol or own a fire arm (my family and i included) or kill tourist for having an accident.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The immigration department did a good job, because not all Dominican drink alcohol or own a fire arm (my family and i included) or kill tourist for having an accident.

So, I,m guessing someone would have to wait until it gets to 100% in order to report those statements as facts.....

:confused: Or is there an acceptable lower percentage as a minimum that we can use before making a statement? :confused:

Don SantiagoDR

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
So, I,m guessing someone would have to wait until it gets to 100% in order to report those statements as facts.....

:confused: Or is there an acceptable lower percentage as a minimum that we can use before making a statement? :confused:

Don SantiagoDR

The article that she published said that """""All Dominican have pistols""""""", i'm Dominican and my whole family is Dominican and my friends there none of them have pistols, and i'm pretty sure that maybe just a tiny percentage of Dominican have a Gun.