Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Watch what you say, gringo!

A cautionary tale? A Ukrainian journalist has been deported "for denigrating the country in Russian":

Migración repatria periodista Ucrania - ElNacional.com.do

Some of her claims:
    Tremendous hurricanes hit the country each year and when this happens groups of black Haitians go up the mountains with tons of gold, money and credit cards they have stolen from tourists who leave their hotels.

She also says that tourists cannot leave the hotels, because hungry Haitians are waiting outside, who don't know any other type of work other than stealing from tourists, which they do with large machetes.

All Dominicans have pistols, and of course will not leave their homes without them, and they drive while drunk, of course, because they are never sober, and they don't know how to drive their cars, and they all bought their licences or don't have a licence in the first place.

Dominicans have these guns to shoot police if they try to arrest them, or to kill tourists if they have a car accident with them.

Also, if tourists are involved in a car accident they are kept in jail for three months and have to pay a large sum of money to be let out.

La comunicadora dice, en un artículo publicado en la penúltima página de la última publicación, que en el país ocurren huracanes tremendos cada año y que cuando éstos pasan, “grupos de haitianos negros” suben a las montañas con toneladas de oro, dinero y tarjetas de crédito robadas a los turistas que salen de los hoteles.

También dice que no se puede salir de los hoteles, porque afuera están esperando haitianos con hambre, que no saben otro tipo de trabajo que no sea robar a los turistas y que lo hacen usando machetes grandes.

“Todos los dominicanos tienen pistolas, claro, ningún dominicano nunca va a salir fuera de la casa sin pistola y planean manejar el vehículo borracho, claro, porque nunca están sobrios, y no saben manejar los vehículos y todos compran sus licencias de conducir o no las tienen”, dice.

La nota indica que el periódico sostiene que los dominicanos necesitan la pistola para disparar a los policías cuando éstos intentan detenerlos por alguna infracción, o para matar a los turistas cuando por alguna casualidad chocan sus vehículos.

Asimimso, que los turistas son detenidos dos o tres meses por los policías cuando se ven involucrados en un accidente de tránsito, por lo que tienen que regalar alguna cantidad de dinero para que los dejen salir.
    The article ends by saying she was also in the country illegally.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Chiri,

What exactly was considered denigrating about her reports?

Aside from the disparaging remarks she made regarding Haitians, what she reported was a fairly accurate depiction of everyday life in the DR, although perhaps laced with a touch of hyperbole.

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    perhaps laced with a touch of hyperbole
    While you, on the other hand, post with a touch of understatement - LOL.

Gregg

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"While you, on the other hand, post with a touch of understatement - LOL."

Absolutely correct.

I like your style, and I'm happy to see at least someone knows the meaning of hyperbole!

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

"While you, on the other hand, post with a touch of understatement - LOL."

Absolutely correct.

I like your style, and I'm happy to see at least someone knows the meaning of hyperbole!
    Yes, it's a math term - sort of like an arch drawn on graph paper - LOL.

Gregg
    .P.S. - As we get more into technical terms; I know that it's actually a hyperbola - LOL - in case we have any mathematicians here.

Post Thanks / Like

Parabola?

Catcher, watch out for "la camiona"!

My very point was that it is not a million miles off what is sometimes posted on DR1, except perhaps for the bits about the marauding Haitian hordes.
    Last edited by Chirimoya; 03-23-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, Chiri. I was just joshing you.

I always make way for trucks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, Chiri. I was just joshing you.

I always make way for trucks.
    Have you received the key to the executive washroom yet?

OH OH I'm way off topic here

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Have you received the key to the executive washroom yet?"

No, but I have been shown the door.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Wtf?

Chiri,

What exactly was considered denigrating about her reports?

Aside from the disparaging remarks she made regarding Haitians, what she reported was a fairly accurate depiction of everyday life in the DR, although perhaps laced with a touch of hyperbole.
    Hmm.... how can I put this...

Let's see, if you remove the very thing that makes it offensive, then it will not be offensive. But, if you remove the very thing that makes it offensive, then you are not interpreting her message as she wanted for it to be interpreted.

This is similar to those people that love to say that all humans and all countries are the same. Yes, if you ignore the differences, then we are all the same, but such people with such view of the world are not seeing the world for what it is.

Capice?

-NALs

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast