Just Got Back....

T

tony

and it was great! I had a very good time. Saw the Tunnels, Casa De Campo, the ocean drive (el puerto/goerge washington ave) and yes, there was still some hurricane damage but minor. Boca Chica was better and calmer compared to the last time I was there. My only concern was the driving. The DR needs more traffic lights and signs, urgently....otherwise a great vacation.

G

Gary & Christine

Re: Just Got Back....also

We just got back also. Flew into SD, stayed in Sosua and Las Galeras. The weather was great!!!!! Got back to sub-freezing temps in AL. Tony is right about traffic lights and signs, but if you have an experienced Dominican driver and a lot of Presidente beer, travelling on the island will be great!!! We are fortunate to have freinds on the island who know the rules(or lack of rules) for driving, the short-cuts and a cooler full of beer(to ease the stress of the driving). If driving yourself, keep your eyes on the road, drive as the "locals" do, wear seatbelts, relax, there is a method to the madness, they know how to avoid wrecking and as long as you drive their way it will be fine.

M

Mike

We stayed at the Hamaca in Boca Chica from December 26 through January 2 and had a wonderful, warm -- and very sunny-- vacation. Don't worry!

L

lyne

how was the weather,it is rainning a lot. i am going to boca chica in february . i am affraid because it seem to rain a lot lately.and how is the beach.sorry for my english. lyne

D

DR One

Do not be concerned for the rains... rain in the tropics is not like rain up North. Rain showers will usually last for 5-15 minutes and then the bright sun will come out. Was just at Boca Chica on Sunday, and the sun was blazing.

T

tony

Exactly, there is a method to the madness. Even if there is lack of signs and lights I never saw an accident....

P

pandre and jd

Dear Gary and Christine -

Ola and welcome back from the DR! We're about to do almost the same exact trip as you (Sosua, Las Galeras, Santo Domingo, driving). I wonder - having been to Las Galeras - where do you stay while there? I just posted a message on DR1 tring to find the Bancrofts' room rental on Cala Blanca (do you know if there is a Las Galeras/Samana phonebook somewhere?) we are also considering Casa Lotus or El Castillo.

also, did you snorkel? where were the best spots?

Muchas Gracias, pandre and jd

T

tony

Yes, it did rain periodically, sometimes 2 or 3 times a days...passing clouds. The hot sun comes out immediately after the rain. Don't worry you should have a great time.

G

Gary and Christine

Re: Just Got Back/ATTN JD & PANDRE

Hello JD and Pandre,

We had an excellent time in DR> Gary has been going for 3 years this was my first trip and our honeymoon I enjoyed it very much. We had a Dominican friend of a friend who picked us up in SD and dropped us at the Tradewinds condos in Sosua we walked from there into Sosua town several times a day to go to the beach, the market, out to dinner, etc. The best place to eat in Sosua is La Roca where they make a decent glass of iced tea (yes this is IMPORTANT to southerners) and the 1LB lobster dinner was about $13.US. It is cheaper than the Waterfront and the food is better, BUT, NOTHING beats the view of the sunset from the Waterfront. We rented a jeep for the drive to Samana, and only had 1 minor problem in Nagua, the turn for the Samana peninsula is not marked and is at a hairpin angle at a VERY, VERY busy "Y" type intersection. Be careful on the Las Galeras road, some spots have "fallen away" (literally) and are marked only by neon painted stones placed on the edge by the precipice. Also, drive slowly when approaching the part of the road by the Grand Bahia, there are several inverted speed bumps and you will rip the axle off the car if you hit too hard. Eat lunch or dinner at Camilo's and Gringo's. Ask for Wayne Campbell at Gringo's, tell him we sent you -he will be helping us build our home in La Hondanada eventually. The Butterfly Shrimp at Camilo's is wrapped in bacon and deepfried, then served (on request) with the worlds best garlic butter. It was to die for and I am still trying to figure the recipe out. IF you take the drive to Las Terrenas (Lost-ur-anus) -hold- on you may lose your anus. Sorry if I offend anyone, that was the most frightening road I have personally ever been on. It is narrow, twisting, winding no guard rails to speak of, 240 degree turns and tour buses going 70 MPH in the other direction around same curves, hills, etc. Take this drive to see the really beautiful beaches and town but only if you have four or more hours to spare. As for snorkeling and diving we did not do any this trip but there are plenty of operators down there who have experience, equipment and knowledge of the best places-talk to Wayne at Gringos as he should know more about this since he lives there. If you have more questions contact us on our E-mail. sorry to have bent your eyes Ha HA HA.

J

JD

Re: Just Got Back/ATTN GARY & CHRISTINE

Hi Gary and Christine -- thanks SO much for your advice about Samana - driving and Hotel Moorea Beach (I still have no working phone for them :-( I had another question and tried to email you just now but the email address in your post does not work. One question is: which company did you rent your jeep from? I've been finding the rental rates to be VERY expensive. Right now I just have a regular economy car reserved. Do you think 4WD is an absolute necessity for driving from Sosua-Las Galeras-Santo Domingo (with small trips around Samana peninsula)?

If you can please email me at dickert@umbsky.cc.umb.edu so I will have your correct email address.

Thanks again, JD

A

Al Waggoner

Re: Just Got Back/ATTN GARY & CHRISTINE

We have driven all over the island for the last eight years, always in small rental cars and have been able to go almost everywhere we wanted - including some that were rated impassible except in a sturdy 4wd vehicle. You should have no difficulty in making the trip you have described, including down the beach to John and Ingrid's place in Las Galeras. We have generally rented from National at the Puerta Plata airport but have found that Avis is sometimes cheaper. We always reserve the cheapest car and have sometimes been upgraded for free. We have always reserved the cars from the States and have never been disappointed.