Bavaro / Punta Cana - anyone live there?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm a frequent reader (and rather infrequent poster). I don't seem to see much activity in the fora from people in Bavaro / Punta Cana. Is the ex-pat community significantly smaller in the East Coast?

It's probably wishful thinking on my part (since I'm moving to Bavaro in May) but is the crime not as bad in the East as it is in SD and on the North Coast? I'm guessing it's more the fact that the tourists and ex-pats are cordoned off in the All-Inclusives and Condo communities and never interact with the locals.

Insight anyone?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a handful of us here, yes. There is a sizeable expat population (I hesitate to use the term 'community') on the east coast but not that many are active DR1 posters.

You'll be pleased to hear that the crime rate in the area is lower, for the time being anyway. Where we live - Punta Cana Village - we are cordoned off to an extent. We are protected by a private security company but do not live behind gates and bars. The community is mainly Dominican so we definitely interact with locals. Foreigners are in the minority.

RD-Info

Mar 19, 2009
www.rd-negocios.com
I lived there almost 2 years. it is expensive for normal living, but salaries are better, too, so it's the same. Criminal is less then in other parts, a lot of politur is there because a lot of tourists, and private security companies ,so less corruption, I guess. And a lot of locals work in hotels, normal salaries and food in hotels, so ... don't worry.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is more expensive, to the point that when we go to the capital or any other part of the country and eat in a restaurant we're pleasantly surprised when the bill arrives and it's 30-50% lower than we expect it to be.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi

I live in the east of the island and work in Bavaro/Punta Cana, but i live in Higuey which is not a tourist area. Crime is much higher here than living in Bavaro, but whether it is higher or lower than similar area on the north or south coast i couldnt comment.

As Chirimoya said, expats are the minority so we do mix with locals, even more so here in Higuey. I only know a handful of expats here.

You will find living in Bavaro/Punta Cana is not typically Domnican, but it is not like staying on a resort either. I personally think its a great place for people to enjoy the laid back lifestyle, beaches, weather and so on without having to completley loose all sense of civilisation (and your mind! ;) ).

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
ALso....

As your a new member maybe you didnt realize there is actually an "East Coast" section. You will have more luck posting for info there and meet expats in the area.

Good luck with the move.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
ALso....

As your a new member maybe you didnt realize there is actually an "East Coast" section. You will have more luck posting for info there and meet expats in the area.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks laurajane. Since the "East Coast" forum is under the Travel section I presumed it was intended for those traveling to the East Coast. Not for those living there (or getting ready to live there).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The line between the two forums isn't that well-defined, but for the reasons you state your thread is fine for the Living Forum. I tend to move threads to the Travel/regional forums that are to do with information of interest for tourists to the area, even if it is a discussion between residents, like restaurants, etc.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
In the travel section we also take a tolerant view of what belongs in which forum. If it is clearly a more generic "Living" thread it will usually be moved to "Living" but if it has a geographical leaning we often leave it in the appropriate geographical Travel Forum as it is often of interest to both tourists and residents in that area. As it is my experience that most here read in all or almost all forums not much is likely to be missed and the forum distinctions are often more for searching for info in the future.

Gregg
Mod.