Upsetting news for golfers at Playa Dorada course

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have just received the news of the unfortunate death this morning of the Professional at Playa Dorada course - Johny Polanco.

Details are extremely sketchy at the moment but I will try to update as the day goes on. It would appear that he fell down some steps in his house & cracked his head against something - causing a sever gash in the head. I do not know at the moment whether his death was instantaneous or a little while later in the hospital, but he is now 'At Peace'!

Johny was a quiet friendly guy who always tried to help people in learning more about the game of golf. He will sorely be missed by those who knew him.

I understand the funeral is tomorrow in Puerto Plata but I will pass this on as soon as I know the details exactly.

God Bless Johny - you should certainly be hitting them long & straight now!! My commiserations to anyone in the family who might get to read this post! ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
For those that can make it, the funeral ceremony commences at 10.00 a.m. at Blas Blas which is the funeral parlour at the top of 27 de Febrero.
Johny was just 39 years young with 3 children (although not living with him) aged 6, 13 & 20. The 13 year old has been a regular at the course & had (hopefully still HAS) a promising future as a golfer.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow morning at Blas Blas ~ Grahame.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Shocking news - all the best to his family.
Mr Polanco was the guy who gave me my first break in D.R. - a gentleman in the truest sense of the word.

Very sad.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Sad Day Indeed!

Graham,
Pls give our condolences to the Polanco family. If you see his brother Juan, who was the Bell Capt. at Fun Royale-Tropicale, pls tell him that Norm and April extend their sincerest sympathy to he and the family.

Thanks.

SB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know one of the people who found him. Strange occurance, there was no blood just a bruise on his forehead. Must have landed funny causing a massive brain hemmorage. Didn't know the guy but my heart goes out to the family and friends. Very tragic.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The update I posted yesterday does not appear to have taken into this thread - my error for not checking earlier & sorry to all concerned.

The procession to take Johny to the cemetery was cancelled as the police (or some authoritative figure) found other bruises on Johny's head & body causing them to have concerns as to the actual cause of death. As a result his body was taken to Santiago for autopsy. It was due for return to the funeral parlour for 5.00 p.m. yesterday but regrettably I could not attend. I will update as soon as I have more factual information.

Conchman - due to the above information it might be helpful to the police if the friend/friends who passed the information re just ONE blow to the head contacted them to make a statement. It would be terrible if wrong decisions were made because of lack of eye witness information being passed on!

Norm
I DID see Juan at the ceremony yesterday morning but he was far to emotionally distraught to be bothered whom he did not know & who would have had to explain his relationship in knowing Johny.

I regret I do not go round the hotels very often & I haven't been to Fun Royale for ages (3 years I think). Perhaps it would be more sensible for you to send an e-mail to Juan at Fun Royale OR one to the Golf Club requesting a caddie takes it to the family? ~ Grahame.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I have lived here for 7 years and one of the first people I met was John Polanco. I love to play golf and John and I struck up a friendship that was deep and trusting. John introduced me to his brother Luis and we began playing together twice a week and continue to do so. John was a kind a caring man. I spent two days at the funeral home and was so pleased to see the many people paying their last respects to John. So many of the caddies and people who work at Playa Dorado came. As well as people from all walks of life and different countries.

I hope that in the future we can do something for John's son Matthew. Matthew has become a promising golfer and he truly loved his father as his father truly loved him. Ironically, a group of us who play every week have the nick name of the "Polanco Foundation." Now we may really need to become the Polanco Foundation and carry on the name of John and help for the future in Matthew's education and golf if he so desires. Mostly, I want people to know that John was always willing to help visitors to match them up for a golf match or introduce them to others. John was always smiling and he was true friend. Last Sunday we hugged each other as we always did when we saw one another. Little did I know it would be the last time we would see each other alive. I will cheerish my friendship with him and all of his family as I had the chance to know most of them, but especilally his brother Luis who is grieving sorely over the loss of his brother.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
Amigo
Sad to hear you and others have lost someone special. Sending positive thoughts your way.
Noreen

bobbykeele

Mar 30, 2009
condolences

I only met Johnny Polanco a handful of times but he managed to make an impression,that a a genuinely nice guy always with a smile. He will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.