Dream Project Cabarete

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I've understand there have been major change at Dream Project. Can anyone tell me whats going on.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
First let me say that I do not speak for DREAM nor do I represent them in any way but as a longtime DREAM supporter Beyond The Beach has been made aware of some of the current changes.

Founder and previous Executive Director of DREAM has stepped down and has been replaced by a new Executive Director, Catherine DeLaura.

The former Dominican Director Jon Wunderlich has returned in the same capacity as before.

The Honorary Chairwoman, Julia Alverez remains unchanged.

As far as I know the Executive Board of Directors and the Board of Advisors remains essentially unchanged as do the majority of their larger supporters stateside.

Some details about some individuals are available at DREAM Project: Dominican Republic Education and Mentoring Project

I have let a couple of people at DREAM know of this posting so that they may correct any inaccuracies which I may have through ignorance, inadvertently propagated. I will correct any inaccuracies as I become aware of them.

Gregg Andrews
Secretary
BTBCF

kitebeach

Apr 24, 2009
I'm pretty sure there's more to it than people think. Look here:

DREAM Project: Dominican Republic Education and Mentoring Project

Lots of volunteers have left (look at all the past volunteers from this academic year), and I've heard that those current volunteers aren't even up to date and there are even less now. Rumblings from Cabarete are that volunteers all seemed to leave when the ED left. It makes me skeptical that she "stepped down." This seems like an act of solidarity by the volunteers for someone who was forced out. I mean she founded the whole organization she I doubt she would just leave.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Please try to discuss this avoiding rumour and speculation. :)

It would be good if someone could come in with clarification.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The DREAM Project is an accredited 501 (3)(c) non-profit that has done, and continues to do outstanding work in educating hundreds of less fortunate children. Tidbits, and any recent internal reorganizational info is beside the point; the DREAM Project continues it's mission and remains very strong and committed. Results are what count. It is run by professionals and volunteers and has proven itself to be a sustainable and highly positive influence in the communities it serves.
The rest, to me, is not even worth mentioning as it is negative and totally non-productive and is history. It does nothing for the children.
'pa lante.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
The DREAM Project

I am the new Executive Director of the DREAM Project. The rumors about the payments to Cadin are not true. DREAM has had a long relationship with Flavia?s school through offering training, helping her build the beautiful site, acquiring computers for her school and connecting her with many of her present donors. As a favor to Flavia, we accept donations to her school, because donors want the tax-exempt status.

I have discussed any lingering issues from DREAM's previous leadership with Flavia and we are resolving all of them harmoniously. For example, earlier this week we had a Cadin donor come see us and when we investigated, it ended up the check had never been received by DREAM. The donors now realize that their check was never cashed. It was an honest mistake on their part, but these rumors stemming from it now seem to be affecting DREAM's reputation. We obviously can?t make payments for students that were never received.

We are maintaining our programs in the toughest economic times of our generation. I invite anyone who has specific questions about donations to Cadin to please contact me directly. And please visit the DREAM Center at any time if you have any questions about where our money is going or the youth we are helping. DREAM?s mission is supporting the neediest of our community to have access to quality education. I hope all involved in this thread can now put this same energy into our community, either through DREAM or another worthy cause. We plan on continuing to focus on the kids.

Catherine DeLaura
Executive Director
The DREAM Project

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Catherine,

I will be in Cabarete Dec. 5 - 12 and will look you or whoever you suggest up at that time.

Best regards,

Gregg Andrews
Secretary
BTBCF