best map

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
What do you think about the National Geographic map of DR? is there a better map out there? Should I buy on line or wait until I get to DR?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
What do you think about the National Geographic map of DR? is there a better map out there? Should I buy on line or wait until I get to DR?

Hi Maravilla,

I haven't seen the National Geographic map, but I have a good map that I use. I sent it to other DR1 Members and they seem to like it too. It is an "zoomable" pdf with Towns, cities, distances, places of interest, etc. If you want, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. This goes for anybody else that wants the map also.

DBU

Jan 17, 2009
Hi Maravilla,

I haven't seen the National Geographic map, but I have a good map that I use. I sent it to other DR1 Members and they seem to like it too. It is an "zoomable" pdf with Towns, cities, distances, places of interest, etc. If you want, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. This goes for anybody else that wants the map also.

PM sent.. (added to overcome minimum length restriction ;))

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
are there any decent Vector (ie, for illustrator or coreldraw) maps out there? Would like to find a detailed wmf or emf file.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
are there any decent Vector (ie, for illustrator or coreldraw) maps out there? Would like to find a detailed wmf or emf file.

Jrzyguy..... the map I have is pretty detailed in PDF format. PM me with your email address and I will gladly send it to you.

I am no map expert, but the map I have is the best I have seen of DR.

Aug 19, 2004
The National Geographic certainly looks teh nicest but as Robert says they all have errors because they would all appear to be based on aerial surveys completed in the 1960's. I am always interested to see new maps showing the Sanchez rail line.

Is there a Dominican agency similar to the UK's Ordnance Survey - I would also be interested in detailed digital vector mapping down to a scale of 1:10,000 - does this exist?

DBU

Jan 17, 2009
Dominican Map

The National Geographic certainly looks teh nicest but as Robert says they all have errors because they would all appear to be based on aerial surveys completed in the 1960's. I am always interested to see new maps showing the Sanchez rail line.

Is there a Dominican agency similar to the UK's Ordnance Survey - I would also be interested in detailed digital vector mapping down to a scale of 1:10,000 - does this exist?

Check out Google Map Maker and search for "SDQ" to get there quickly. In case you are unfamiliar with Google MapMaker, it is a collaboration where anyone with a Google account (Gmail) can add detail to what eventually will become the official Google map of the Dominican Republic. In the meantime, the maps are almost as useful as any other Google map although there are a few limitations on the MapMaker version. Give it a try...