"Los Dominicanos en Alta Mar"

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I just saw a commercial on Univision. The theme of today's weekly program Aqu? y Ahora is Dominicans who cross the Mona channel to go to Puerto Rico. I have a satellite dish, Dish Network, and it will be on @10PM on channel 827 or if you have a local Univision station you can tune in.

I just saw the commercial again. Tonight's show is a special edition.

Here is the link to the website: Aqu? y Ahora, esta semana trata el tema "Los Dominicanos en Alta Mar" - Aqu? y Ahora - Univision Foro / Forum

/mplta

Reactions: Bronxboy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I wonder if Univision will mention that yola trips are way down.

I doubt it.

-NALs:tired:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
'Los Dominicanos en Alta Mar' on Aqu? y Ahora

An excellent documentary was aired last night on Univision?s weekly program Aqu? y Ahora titled 'Los Dominicanos en Alta Mar' which examined the dangerous crossings ventured by Dominicans hoping to reach Puerto Rico via the Mona Channel. In spite of the inherent risks involved in such an undertaking, Dominicans who dear to make the voyage embark upon fragile man made yolas that are built to last only one day at sea often are overturned in the violent waters of the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean long before the sixty mile voyage to Puerto Rico is completed. As stated by one of US Coast Guards in the documentary, 'once a yola is spotted it immediately becomes a rescue mission' to save lives. Those who don?t make it and die, whatever remains of their bodies are found with clear evidence of being eaten by sharks are buried in a cemetery in Puerto Rico for unidentified Dominicans.

The documentary focused on two particular crossings one in September and the other in October 2008 originating from Nagua and San Francisco de Macor?s respectively. Dominicans typically paid between a thousand and a thousand five hundred dollars or 35,000 pesos for the organized journey in which many never made it to their destination. The few who lived to tell their story were obviously traumatized by the experience after having survived two weeks at sea and ultimately resorting to desperate measures such as eating human flesh (la carne humana) to survive.

It was interesting to listen to the testimony of the survivors but at same time the naivety in my opinion was incomprehensible. When asked if they ever realized the danger they would be in all said 'no'. Their only thought was getting to Puerto Rico. Some did demand to turn back once they were on board the yola and far out at sea. The arguments were intense as the calm waters on those two journeys became increasingly rough and the crossing ended up like so many in the Mona Channel.

The two brothers who organized the crossing were charged and arrested however; it is little compensation for the families left behind to deal with the tragedy of not knowing what actually happened to their family members. One mother said: 's? que est? vivo, yo lo puedo sentir en mi coraz?n' but she has not heard from her son in six months.

Although the number crossings have decreased of late, it?s still a problem of Dominican society due to economic poverty. Desperate situations at times lead to irrational decisions and desperate acts. However, a documentary such as this can serve as an eye opener for many Dominicans that the risks involved with no guarantees is not worth their lives.

2ahz7et.jpg

NB. I will be posting this summary in my DR1 mini blog as well which will include some of testimony/comments of the survivors. I jotted down their comments which in my opinion reflect the typical Dominican vernacular and the speech of the average Dominican that can be used as examples for this thread (http://www.dr1.com/forums/polls/88348-dominican-spanish.html) when deciding what to vote.

/mplta