Is homosexuality legal in the Dominican Republic?

JuliaAltagracia

Jul 3, 2004
I seached the Internet and found very little on this subject. Does anybody nows if homosexuality is legal in the Dominican Republic. I read that there is no mention in our laws nor penalties. Does that makes it legal?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
why would a person's sexual orientation be illegal in any country?

Why? Because the world is filled with closed-minded hypocrites.

There are plenty of countries that specifically outlaw homosexuality and homosexual behavior. For instance, it's only in the last decade that many sodomy laws in the US have been removed.

As far as I can tell, homosexuality is fairly well tolerated in the DR. Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable on specific DR law regarding homosexuality.

My experience with male homosexuality in the developing world (especially the Caribbean and Latin America) is that men are not as quick to label themselves as gay but will engage in homosexual sex. They will still consider themselves totally straight. It's as if homosexuality as a distinct orientation/lifestyle doesn't exist....it's not on anyone's radar. Compare this to the developed world where homosexuality is generally accepted and gay men and women are allowed to express themselves more openly and honestly. There they will more easily identify themselves as gay.

Sorry for the blathering. To get back to the OP's question. I haven't heard of anyone being prosecuted for engaging in homosexual activity....but that's not saying much. Let's see if anyone else any insight.

JuliaAltagracia

Jul 3, 2004
why would a person's sexual orientation be illegal in any country?

You answer with a question?

Well homosexuality acts are illegal in these countries subject to death penalty.

Iran
Afghanistan
Saudi Arabia
Sudan
Chechen Republic

There are many countries to list here that if cought in the act are subject to penalties.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I see what you mean !

have you been looking on wikipedia - I think there is a file missing .......it is legal here
-other places in the Caribbean dont fare so well

LGBT rights by country or territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there is a public decorum law - which in thoery could be used if someone complained about you showing affection in a public place - although I suppose this could apply to straight people as well

Last edited:

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
I had several gay friends while I lived there (gringos and Dominicans) and they were very open about it. I had one Canadian friend who would openly flirt with one politur that he liked and they thought it was hilarious. But the other poster is right, Dominicans don't label themselves. I have been on vacation there with a gay friend also, and he told every hotel staff that he was gay. Nobody told him to keep his mouth shut for fear of persecution or anything like that. In fact, they loved it! I also knew animation workers who were openly gay. I think small town areas without much gringo influence might be a little different, a little more closed minded, but that's like anywhere in the world.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I concur with insane.

Homosexuality in the D.R. is pretty well accepted as long one is "discrete"

IT is odd how many latino cultures will accept a transgendered person rather than an openly and masculine gay man. And most of the men who have sex with men dont think of themselves as gay. Merely sexual. To them gay is an American and European thing.

But no...homosexuality is not illegal in the DR. As a gay traveler i have never had any problems in the DR. THen again...i dont go there for the sex trade. I have met some of the greatest people in the D.R. both gay and straight. We just like discussing the differences in our lives etc. I am sure one might confront the occasional homophobe...but that can happen anywhere. But that has never happened to me (cept for the sankies who think they can scam you).

But no. It is not illegal. Just different than the US, Canada and Europe.

OH...and what IS it with the Politur? why are they all so darn hadsome?!?! I swear there is something up with that lol.

One last thing...if you are a tourist and carry yourself with respect and dignity...you wont be bothered.

JuliaAltagracia

Jul 3, 2004
Thank you everybody for your replies. lol, no I?m not a tourist, and I'm not gay.

I read an article that says that it is legal by national law in DR, and I know that is not right, so I want to edit that article, but I need consistent facts, like a law if there is any.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I know this has nothing to do with your original question but....
;););)
Gay men make the best girlfriends!!! Okaaaaaaay! (snap,snap)
SHALENA

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
shaleena ,
that is only one type of gayman , there are as many types of gay men as there are types of straight men.....we dont all like shopping for handbags

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
not when i am in TOWN okay
really i have never had a problem when me and my partner are in the DR
(2 tears in a bucket muther F*CK it) JR you on my team (GO TEAM)

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
shaleena ,
that is only one type of gayman , there are as many types of gay men as there are types of straight men.....we dont all like shopping for handbags

I definitely know that...one of my brothers is gay and I did not know until he told me 2 years ago when we had a fight! And I used to pride myself on my gay-dar. We still laugh about that to this day (not that he is gay but that I thought I could spot a gay person from a mile away and one was living in my house!) Anytime I take him anywhere, women want me to "introduce" them
SHALENA