what kind of phone

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I want to buy a cheap phone on E-bay to take to DR what brands will work with claro or orange?

Can we take a nextel phone? will it work?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
take any phone as long as it does not have simlock.
you can also disable simlock in DR but it will be hard on very old or very new models so buy something popular.
nextel is a provider, right? providers normally lock their phones...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong but i thought the Orange network only works with unlocked phones that can use SIM cards?
Claro works with most other non SIM phones. I use Claro when I am visiting DR and use any old Sprint phone, they all seem to work on the network with no issues.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=3 width="90%" bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Compa?ia Dominicana de Telefonos, C. por A. (CLARO GSM)

</TD><TD width="15%">GSM 850/1900

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=3 width="90%" bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Orange Dominicana S.A.

</TD><TD width="15%">GSM 900/1800/1900

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bring any unlocked QUAD Band phone and it will work on either network.

Claro has both GSM as well as CDMA functionality, but I believe they are phasing out new activations using CDMA hardware.

(Just make life easy and buy a phone already activated in DR for less money and PITA than eBay!)

tambo'

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Just make life easy and buy a phone already activated in DR for less money and PITA than eBay!
tambo'

Bingo!

You can buy new phones for 1000 pesos or less activated with minutes.

On your next visit if your number has been suspended you can activate the phone by putting in minutes; with Claro 100 pesos worth.

If you've been away so long that your number has been given away you can activate it with a new chip; with Claro currently 150 pesos.

You can also be happy that, if you use Claro, you are helping Carlos Slim buy another yacht. :cheeky:

Reactions: Tamborista

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
I want to buy a cheap phone on E-bay to take to DR what brands will work with claro or orange?

Can we take a nextel phone? will it work?

Nextel DOES NOT work in DR. Just go to eBay and search for :

Unlocked GSM quad

There are plenty useable phone for under $50.

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
I would recommend to buy a cheap cel phone here. You can get an Alcatel (basic cel phone just to call and receive calls) for around 300 RD$ and that is including around 200 RD$ in minutes. Unbeatable in $$$!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I would recommend to buy a cheap cel phone here. You can get an Alcatel (basic cel phone just to call and receive calls) for around 300 RD$ and that is including around 200 RD$ in minutes. Unbeatable in $$$!

This is the best deal if you will be only vacationing here for a short time. Then you just keep the phone and use it whenever you visit again.

I have a quad band GSM phone which I got unlocked here for 300 pesos (around $8.50). Now I just use sim cards of whatever country I am in. I works everywhere.

mashinka410

Oct 14, 2008
same question

I also have the same dilemma. Staying in Playa Cofresi just need a phone to use once or twice a day to receive calls from home; anyone know where I can get one once I arrive?

Feb 7, 2007
You can also consider Viva, cheaper alternative to both Orange and Claro.

All 3 companies have sales points in Plaza Bavaro/nearby and close to Friusa.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Most calling centers in the DR (In particular Santiago) will have plenty of phones for sale to choose from.

It's as easy as going to the store to buy a loaf of bread down here in the DR.

One note though, they may be getting picky and require a resident ID card, this was the case for a friend of mind about 6 months ago. Even tho he previously had a phone activated in the DR.

Another friend just picked someone on the street and gave them 100 pesos to activate the phone for him.

Don - SantiagoDR

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

Are you sure this is correct, it doesn't add up.... (i.e. phone=RD$100 !?). I know of RD$700 phone (with RD$100 credit included). Where is the shop that offers this deal ?

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Most calling centers in the DR (In particular Santiago) will have plenty of phones for sale to choose from.

It's as easy as going to the store to buy a loaf of bread down here in the DR.

One note though, they may be getting picky and require a resident ID card, this was the case for a friend of mind about 6 months ago. Even tho he previously had a phone activated in the DR.

Another friend just picked someone on the street and gave them 100 pesos to activate the phone for him.

Don - SantiagoDR

I dont want to go just anywhere. I don't want to buy a stolen phone. This means a lot to me my cousin's cousing was murdered in santiago over her cell phone

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
ANY phone store has reconditioned/activated phones for RD500 or less, you can even buy reasonable cell phones at Orange or Claro for a little more.

There must be 10 cell phone stores in the 30 de marzo area just up the street from el conde.

Last edited:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If your looking for a cheap phone I would buy it directly from the Claro or Orange store. This eliminates the hassle of worrying about unlocked phones or if they will work on the network. Also buying the cheapo phone lowers the possibility of it being stolen.

Just take your passport into the store and you will have a fully working phone in typically 30 minutes or less.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
ANY phone store has reconditioned/activated phones for RD500 or less, you can even buy reasonable cell phones at Orange or Claro for a little more.

There must be 10 cell phone stores in the 30 de marzo area just up the street from el conde.

What are the chances of buying a stolen phone from one of these places? is there an orange store in 30 de marzo? I live close by in san carlos, well my fam does