Dominican Beef - Yuk or Not bad?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Unfortunately I start to give up on the dominican beef.
I'm not a cattle expert, but I always wondered why is it?
Are they just waiting till they are getting way to old?

The Hun
I thionk it's because Dominican cattle afr pretty much all free ranging. They eat what's in a field, whatever grows wild. I don't see much use, if any, of good purpose-grown hay, nor do I hear of any being corn fed prior to slaughter.

That is why, I imaging, the beef if very lean, tough and tastes the way it does.

I bought what looked like some good local churrasco at Price Smart, and prepared it exactly how I would the imported. I couldn't eat it, and was sorely disappointed.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I thionk it's because Dominican cattle afr pretty much all free ranging. They eat what's in a field, whatever grows wild. I don't see much use, if any, of good purpose-grown hay, nor do I hear of any being corn fed prior to slaughter.

That is why, I imaging, the beef if very lean, tough and tastes the way it does.

I bought what looked like some good local churrasco at Price Smart, and prepared it exactly how I would the imported. I couldn't eat it, and was sorely disappointed.

I love the beef in the DR, i don't eat beef here in the State, all my Dominican friends here in the State don't eat the beef here, i guess different taste.

Jan 17, 2009
Congratulations on your first year in the DR, and thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive account of your observations and experience.

Just a quick note on beef and its quality. One reason why you don't find good beef in the DR is just that most cattle is raised on hills! Another reason aging of the meat which makes it a lot more tasteful and tender. I'm no expert on the subject, but I come from Uruguay and beef is (sorry used to be due to high prices) our staple. Only twice I ate a steak (domestic) at a restaurant (with no sauce to cover the lack of taste) and found it surprisingly good. One doesn't exist any more but I know they got their meat from a butcher in Moca. The other is Decano Cafe in Santiago.

My advice to those who want to buy good quality beef, buy only tenderloin (filete) from a local butcher preferably that supplies good restaurants in your area. Cover it with garlic, salt, and a good quality cooking oil (I mean really cover it with it), and it should last in the refrigerator (no freezing) about 4-5 days (move it to the freezer only when you see that the color of the beef starts getting slightly darker). Cooking it is another story, which I leave for another post.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
With regard to the beef situation we found, when we first arrived here almost 3 years ago, that it was almost inedible but I think we have found a good way to tenderise and develop the flavour due to a simple tip given to us to "age" it. Wrap in a clean tea towel, place in the bottom of the fridge for 10 - 12 days, rinse it off with good water then either marinade, grill, fry or freeze... works for us and none of our guests have complained either.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Speaking of Dominican meat, I bought a steak at a new supermarket here in Santiago a couple of days ago and it was tender and delicious. It was labled "bistec grillado" and the cut was probaly a sirloin or ribeye or something. I cooked it med rare and would buy it again. Check out this new supermarket when you guys come into town - it's on la JP Duarte on the right hand side one block before you get to La Campagna restaurant on the left. They also plan on putting a nice cafeteria on the second floor soon.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

Funny you mention churrasco. Last september I ate churrasco at the Campana restaurant in Santiago. It was superb!!! As soon as I took the first bite I knew it was imported. Went back last month and same thing...great tasting churrasco. I highly recommend it if you are ever in the mood and in Santiago.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I love the beef in the DR, i don't eat beef here in the State, all my Dominican friends here in the State don't eat the beef here, i guess different taste.

If you are not kidding..... where do you buy DR beef? what type? how do you prepare it?

:)

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Imported Meat

Robert,
Great post!
I'm glad that you are on the right track with your life and business.
I wish you success and happiness in both.
Unfortunately I start to give up on the dominican beef.
I'm not a cattle expert, but I always wondered why is it?
Are they just waiting till they are getting way to old?
BTW, reading your thread made me thinking, was there ever a thread started with a title: " you ARE a dominican if:" ??
For example: you are a dominican if you can transport your whole family in a pasola.
If not, we should start one.

The Hun

Just wanted to mention that ... here you find the best meat ever, I know they deliver to many places around the island because I find their quality meats even in Jarabacoa when I'm there, thought some meat lovers like me would care. Mopax Caribbean Import :: Carnes Importadas - Republica Dominicana - Hoteles y Restaurantes de alta calidad.

Robert, see you soon when we have a roof on the house again ... maybe we can do some ostrich grilling like I did 2 weeks ago at the Jamaca De Dios, it was excellent. See you !!!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Great post and so true. Just wondering to those that said that they wrapped beef in the refrigerator for 10 days in a tea towel to tenderize... how does it not go bad like it would in the rest of the world? I would love to know because any time I have tried to cook the beef I literally had to cook it for hours to get it to the required tenderness!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Great post and so true. Just wondering to those that said that they wrapped beef in the refrigerator for 10 days in a tea towel to tenderize... how does it not go bad like it would in the rest of the world? I would love to know because any time I have tried to cook the beef I literally had to cook it for hours to get it to the required tenderness!

When you buy beef in US, Canada, you buy it already aged. In the D.R. I buy the meat the day they kill the cow. As for tenderness, it took me time to explain which parts I wanted and how I wanted it cut(except for the filet mignon), well till the day I brought a beef chart from Canada.

The problem was not a language problem, I speak better Spanish than English but my carnicero is a cabeza dura but I'm worst than he is. Now he knows that I don't want to see nada of fat on my filet mignon but yes I need some fat around the lomo corto, contre filet, club steak.

When the beef is well aged, the maid cleans it.

As for the tea towel, I just took a couple of my husband white t shirts and cut it

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

I have been coming here for three years and I have found two stores that sell EXCELLENT steaks. First, the churrasco at Price Smart and El Enconto is TERRIBLE. There is NOTHING you can do to make it good. La Sierrena(THE LARGE STORE) day in and day out sells churrasco that melts in your mouth. At exactly the same price as the other two. About 209 pesos a pound. And I mean EXCELLENT. The thicker the better. El National sells an imported rib eye for about 350 pesos a pound that is outstanding. This is about the same price as in the U.S. I am an avid beef eater and have high cholesteral and gout to prove it. I KNOW GOOD BEEF. Search no further. Enjoy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i think the poster above is talking about angus meat. I have bought that meat and its excellent but expensive.
AZB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i think it depends on the meaning of churrasco, which i have found to mean different things depending on country?
i have only known churrasco as skirt steak but i think other countries in latin america refer to a different part of the cow?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Generally I soak my beef in a marinade for 1 to 2 days before cooking it, for the marinade I pretend I am making a vinagrette salad dressing but I substitute "salsa inglesa" for vinegar. Also I put lots of fresh garlic and "albahaca" in it.

The salsa inglesa is pretty good at breaking down the tough fibers, especially with churrasco, but it needs at least 24 hours to do the job properly.

If you don't wanna mess with all that just go to Omaha Gourmet in the Zona Rosa and get the imported Angus. It needs almost no preparation whatsoever to be perfect tasting.

M

MirianAmor

With regard to the beef situation we found, when we first arrived here almost 3 years ago, that it was almost inedible but I think we have found a good way to tenderise and develop the flavour due to a simple tip given to us to "age" it. Wrap in a clean tea towel, place in the bottom of the fridge for 10 - 12 days, rinse it off with good water then either marinade, grill, fry or freeze... works for us and none of our guests have complained either.

Absolutely correct. However, an extra few days will do no harm. Never freeze beef because on thawing it bleeds and you end up with dry cardboard instead of juicy beef. Also don't cook it too long 15 minutes to the lb at 475 f. in the oven, preferably covered in suet and fat side up always.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Last week I bought some steaks from La Sirena in Puerto Plata upon the recommendation of my best friend. I bought two that were labelled Angus beef that looked very nice, but I was a little dubious knowing what the beef can be like here. I got them home and cooked them, just for a few minutes each side and you could cut them with a fork!!! They were soooooo tender. Definitely the best steaks I have purchased from a supermarket. And they were cheap. Give them a try, you might be surprised.
For lovers of English sausages and bacon and various cuts of good quality meat there is a new butchers that has opened where Tanya's bakery used to be. There is also a new deli called the Underground in the same location. The butcher is well known throughout Sosua, Tommy, who used to own the Rose and Thistle pub. His meats are great and always fresh..I am very happy that he is back up and running. I had lunch in the Underground today, a roast beef sandwich with a salad, 99 pesos...can't go wrong. I was told that they will start making pork pies and sausage rolls soon also...can't wait! Nice to have something different in Sosua.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I have been coming here for three years and I have found two stores that sell EXCELLENT steaks. First, the churrasco at Price Smart and El Enconto is TERRIBLE. There is NOTHING you can do to make it good. La Sierrena(THE LARGE STORE) day in and day out sells churrasco that melts in your mouth. At exactly the same price as the other two. About 209 pesos a pound. And I mean EXCELLENT. The thicker the better. El National sells an imported rib eye for about 350 pesos a pound that is outstanding. This is about the same price as in the U.S. I am an avid beef eater and have high cholesteral and gout to prove it. I KNOW GOOD BEEF. Search no further. Enjoy
q
I agree,but one other store sells great beef...Chef Pepper...and around the same price as national...there rib eye and serloins as well as hamburgers are very very tasty...
bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we bought a big fillet de res in la sirena the other day. 3 pounds of meat. miesposo cleaned it nice, little salt+pepper, then covered with bay leaves. few days in the fridge and into the pan. nice, soft, yummy.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am a meat man... but then I eat fish too :cheeky:
Anyways, I have stopped buying anything but filet (filet mignon).
I don't think Dominican beef is bad, it's just too fresh. As Dominicans don't have the habit of eating their meat "bleu" (rare) as I and some foreigners tend to, it don't mater as they cook it until it falls apart and it's certainly better they have fresh meat for sanitary reasons.
Yes, some fat would help along with taste but I think, that most of all, what's missing is proper aging.
Now, when ever I am in Santiago I load up on veal at Nacional. Here one can find excellent veal at ridiculous prices. So I indulge.

Chivo is good too if they let YOU cut it, and recently there have been some offers of imported lamb leg for DOP 125.oo / Lb.

I have also started to recognize what fish I do like and which is a waste of money. Actually, fish can be extremely cheap here.

... J-D.