Tourism Law 541

muchachablanca

Aug 18, 2007
www.myspace.com
Could someone please explain this to me? I read about it on dominicantoday.com and wondered what the law entailed and if I could be breaking it in any way.

I moved to the DR in May '08, only traveling back to the U.S. for Thanksgiving that year. I then returned to the U.S. in February '09 to work until May. Upon my upcoming return to Santiago, I do plan on staying indefintely. My plans to get my cedula are well underway but not yet completed. I am aware of the 3 months that a "tourist" is allowed to stay, but I do not want to be in breech of some law. I am married to a Dominican and teach here as well. I don't consider myself a tourist, but I guess it only matters what the government thinks, huh?! :paranoid: Grax in advance for any informative response!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a law against discrediting the country, as in the case of the Ukrainian journalist, currently being discussed in another thread, apparently being deported for writing an article that was interpreted in that way.

Last edited:

muchachablanca

Aug 18, 2007
www.myspace.com
So since I'm pretty cool with living there and don't have any plans to publicly criticize the government, I think I'm safe in assuming that I'm good in the "tourist" department! Thanx for the all quick feedback.